Broken hub axle

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is the most random thing.
I have a shimano FH-MT510-B rear hub and the hub axle broke. Not the axle but the hub axle shown here. It broke at the little pip just before the thread. I have been told that shimano don't stock the replacement kit for it and also dont stock the hub as its a non-series. For a $5 part it's starting to sound like it's going to cost me $1000 to fix. It's a 36h microspline hub for an ebike and I'm not sure what to do.

What are your thoughts? What should I do?

Thanks
MAS

PJO

in me vL comy
Sounds like the right part wasn't spec'ed for the job, warranty replacement?

teK--

Eats Squid
If you cannot get the part then just get the wheel rebuilt with a new hub. Or just get a complete rear wheel for around $400 would get a reasonably solid wheel suitable for an ebike.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sounds like the right part wasn't spec'ed for the job, warranty replacement?
Yep ebikes are heavy and driving thru the axle there is plenty of torque.
It shouldnt break though so warranty but it should be the same axle as other models ?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
This is the most random thing.
I have a shimano FH-MT510-B rear hub and the hub axle broke. Not the axle but the hub axle shown here. It broke at the little pip just before the thread. I have been told that shimano don't stock the replacement kit for it and also dont stock the hub as its a non-series. For a $5 part it's starting to sound like it's going to cost me $1000 to fix. It's a 36h microspline hub for an ebike and I'm not sure what to do.

What are your thoughts? What should I do?

Thanks
MAS
I'm not really following what the aim of this post is tbh...

If the bike/hub is not that old and bought locally I'd try for warranty first, but otherwise could you not just order the bit needed and get the hub rebuilt? Surely that's not going to cost $1000 combined?

Or are you asking for recommendations on other hubs?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not really following what the aim of this post is tbh...

If the bike/hub is not that old and bought locally I'd try for warranty first, but otherwise could you not just order the bit needed and get the hub rebuilt? Surely that's not going to cost $1000 combined?

Or are you asking for recommendations on other hubs?
I wasn’t sure what to do and actually hadn’t thought of going through warranty as I just wanted it fixed this week. It came on a new bike a year ago but has a 2 year warranty so I will try that.
The spare part and hub are both not available which then means find a new hub which is hard as it’s 36h micro spline centre lock and then cost of rebuild would put it above $500. It seems the only thing my local bike shop could actually do for me was to sell me a new bike.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I wasn’t sure what to do and actually hadn’t thought of going through warranty as I just wanted it fixed this week. It came on a new bike a year ago but has a 2 year warranty so I will try that.
The spare part and hub are both not available which then means find a new hub which is hard as it’s 36h micro spline centre lock and then cost of rebuild would put it above $500. It seems the only thing my local bike shop could actually do for me was to sell me a new bike.
Go to another shop, that's almost criminal. NRG in the city are good.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The spare part and hub are both not available...
[EDIT] - If not exploring @teK--'s option, then:

SJS are showing one in stock from what you linked to on their website:

That's the for the hub you have yeah? SJS are fine to deal with. Freight is expensive but generally pretty quick. Even with express freight the part would end up around $200. Surely it can't cost $800 dollars to rebuild a hub? Or is there some geoblock issue at play? I added to the cart and set the shipping country to Australia and it didn't flag anything, might be different during checkout though...

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for everyone's help. I sent off a warranty email last night:

Dear Shimano,
You are my only hope.
I have a FH-MT510-B and the hub axle broke. Apparently you don't have the hub axle kit, a replacement hub, nor an equivalent wheel (27.5, 29 inner, 36h Microspline) that I could buy which means that the only thing left I can do is buy a new bike. While I would be happy to, my wife thinks this is a bit excessive for what should be a $5 part to which I had to reluctantly agree. So, on behalf of all married men with young kids worldwide, whose tenuous grip on a stable and functioning family life is based on the ability to ride their bike regularly, which I feel should be a basic human right, I implore you - is this the best we can do? Not just as a people, nor as a nation of riders that transcend international borders, but as individuals that rise to greatness as witnessed at the Olympics currently being held in your glorious homeland. In conclusion, it is my hope that I will soon be able to once again experience your mission statement which is “To promote health and happiness through the enjoyment of nature and the world around us” by being on my bike once more.
Sincerely
Michael

Mitchell from marketing enjoyed it and talked to the warranty guy who will process it when the bike shop sends it through. It's sounding promising.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Nup. MT410 & 510 are completely different hubs. And neither of them are Deore, they're non-series models.

Had a squizz, unfortunately Shimano Oz don't show the expolded view & associated spares availability, so might be a bit hit & miss. 36-hole hubs aren't even listed locally, so a complete hub replacement is not feasible unless you want a really long wait. That said, spoke count doesn't affect the innards, so if you end up with a different count hub, guts swappage into the existing shell is easy.