Broken inner plate of SLX 9 speed rear derailleur

nampla

Likes Bikes
I've managed to damage the inner plate of my SLX M662 GS 9speed rear derailleur, so it cannot be used any more. I've tried quite a few shops in the area - nobody has the part (Y5W709100) , nor even any old or broken derailleurs to harvest the part. I understand that Saint M810 GS has exactly the same cage too. Nothing on eBay, and only one ridiculously priced inner plate on Amazon (~$55 + delivery)

So, my question is - are there any places I should try, or any other ideas? I do have LX SGS derailleur to use in the meantime, but it is noticeably sloppier in shifting.
Many thanks

nampla

Likes Bikes
Oh you mean the inner dangly bit ? Mine are SGS so longer and sloppier.
Yep, very simple to replace the plate, just two bolts.
I've replaced the worn lower jockey wheel with a new one and probably misread the instructions, used a slightly fatter bushings. As a result, the chain managed to drop off the jockey wheel and into the space between the jockey wheel and the inner cage. Couple of times of chain doing this and the it sliced through the alloy cage plate :-( .

nampla

Likes Bikes
M772 XT uses the same cage parts, and is still available last I checked.
I did check this, and as I can see, in case of M772 GS the inner plate part number is Y5W709000, and I'm looking for Y5W709100 - close but not the same :-(. I do not have any other way to compare, but by the part number, as there are no measurements on Shimano diagrams. The parts do look very similar, though, I'll have a closer look, many thanks

Slowman

Likes Dirt
You can buy a whole cage... that way you know the lengths of the plates match. Sounds like a perfect time to upgrade to XT I find SLX a bit tinny to begin with and only use them on my wife's bike ;) she don't know and she doesn't ride hard!

But if you're not looking to upgrade I'd just use an XT plate don't overthink it!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I did check this, and as I can see, in case of M772 GS the inner plate part number is Y5W709000, and I'm looking for Y5W709100 - close but not the same :-(. I do not have any other way to compare, but by the part number, as there are no measurements on Shimano diagrams. The parts do look very similar, though, I'll have a closer look, many thanks
Could be something as minor as the chain retainer tabs being slightly different. I've mixed bits of SLX & XT derailleurs without problems before. :)

nampla

Likes Bikes
what time is it? Upgrade time! Your watch is also broken.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano...208184?hash=item1cb4c9cc38:g:PQsAAOSwDRxbZrtF

or a brand new XT RD-M772 for $92.50
Ha-ha, thanks for that!!!
I am thinking of converting the bike (Anthem 26") to 10 or 11 speed in a year or so, as 9speed parts are harder to find. I'll be putting on my last 9speed XT cassette, chain and chainring soon, and this will be the end of my 9speed stash. So, I'd probably better buy 10 or 11 speed drivetrain parts, while fixing what I've got.