broken rib

jo90

Squid
broke rib from fall was using race face body armour,has any one been using any type of moto cross body suit like TLD and is it ok for race day
:D

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
DH suits don't tend to have "rib" protection. Have no idea about the MXones.
I have seen guys using them for DH though.

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on how bad the break is i'd suggest not riding at all with it. Try looking at the new-ish 661 kore suite. It's more of a vest then a full suite but it's motocross based. It has shoulder pads and a smaller armidillo compared to big bulky armours but the great thing about it is that it's full of padding all up the sides of your body, front and back. It concerntrates on protecting the internal crap like kidneys and such which should also helps with your ribs.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I have broken ribs twice while downhilling so here is my advice for what its worth...

don't go downhilling on a cross country bike...
safety jackets protect almost everything... but not your ribs...
Dainese jacket is much more comfy and easier to use than raceface jacket
broken ribs hurt...torn rib cartlidge hurts more
don't sneeze

most importantly (as bizare as it sounds) is every morning and evening (during the day as well if possible) do a set of 10 deep breathing exercises. The reason for this is your bodies natural reaction is to avoid pain, when you break your ribs your body responds by breathing shallowly, this in turn makes you more prone to lung infections and thus more time off the bike.

If you have only broken a rib you can pretty much ride the next day (I am no doctor so please feel free to ignore that bit of advice and ride at your own peril) Recovery for a broken rib is about 6 weeks. If you have broken ribs and lots of cartlidge damage you won't enjoy riding until the cartlidge has healed and thats another couple of weeks.

Good luck with your recovery!

trolleyed

Likes Bikes
If you have only broken a rib you can pretty much ride the next day
Really?? I guess you are speaking from experience here, but last year I had a bad stack and bruised a couple of ribs- the x-rays didn't show up any breaks but I couldnt get on a bike for a few months!!

And yeah, sneezing was the worst. Getting into a car was difficult, too...

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really?? I guess you are speaking from experience here, but last year I had a bad stack and bruised a couple of ribs- the x-rays didn't show up any breaks but I couldnt get on a bike for a few months!!

I know the feeling, bruised my ribs earlier this year and little things like lying down to sleep were excruciating... took about a month to fully heal...

Anyway to answer the OP, I was in the same position as you after my stack, and wanted armour that had rib protection. Ended up buying a Rockgardn suit, which has hard plastic sections down the sides. It's about the best DH oriented protection I could find, and is nice and light.

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From my experience of breaking ribs it aint pretty, though i did get farely f*cked up. Broke two ribs(10th,11th) right next to my spine. Bruised the core muscles that run up your spine aswell as bruising my spine,kidney and lung. The healing process is 4 weeks behind shedule. They only started to unite 2 months after breaking. But that's just me and how i got hurt.

Now i'd shy away from hard plastics because i'd presume they would push into you and only really protect against the skin breaking where as padding should you know, help against brusing as well as all the other stuff. Thus why i suggest the 661 kore suite as it is designed to protect the interals.

MARKL

Eats Squid

Unfortunately speaking from experience...

First time i broke my ribs was at Ourimbah and I did a heap of cartlidge damage - a couple of proper ribs and also the false ribs (the ones that don't attach directly to your sternum) and everything hurt, breathing, sleeping, anything that expanded or contracted your rib cage. Speed humps hurt to. What was comfortable for the broken ribs was uncomfortable for the cartlidge damage and visa versa.

The other time was two ribs on a saturday at Thredbo. I got up and thought it didn't hurt as much as the last time should be OK. I did another run and finished for the day. Next day it still hurt but as I had paid for my lift ticket I did a few runs and returned to sydney. It wasn't until the monday night when I sneezed and decided I had better go and see the quack and hey presto two more broken ribs!!

Like I said the rib cartlidge damage hurts way more than a broken rib itself

AlanP

Squid
Broke two ribs last year and two early this year (just recovering from a broken neck C1, 5 and 6 but that's another story). Best protection I found for ribs is a Moto Rooster chest plate (Fox $99). I've hit really hard using it and not a scratch. Bit hot but better that 3 months of stabbing pain from a sneeze or sudden movement.