Broken Wrist Thread

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
Im assuming their are at least a few people on here who have broken their wrist or "Distal Radius" Any body had plates? and how long after you got the cast of were you back on the bike??

racebmx

Likes Dirt
my left wrist is double plated and i had a trimed plate in my right wrist. when i did my right wrist i had a thermoplastic brace but no cast. i still went to the bmx track when it was broken, mostly manualling but a little jumping. i could still manual medium/large doubles. but it probly isnt the best idea. i always have had good orthopedic surgeons and kinda headed their advice.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I dislocated and snapped in half my left radius around 2 and a half months ago.
You never appreciate how lucky you are to have the privelage to ride until you have been seriously injured. Since my recovery period I cherish every ride like it could be my last!

Cheers,
Ty. ;)

Indestructible

Likes Dirt
I broke the growth plate off my ulna, i didnt need surgery, they managed to manipulate it into place (not fun :() and then i had a cast on for 6 weeks.

After i got the cast off i wasnt suposed to ride a bike for 4 weeks but as soon as i got home i went for a ride up the street, being carefull not to crash;) and it was all good. After the 4 weeks i started to ride DH again and havent had any problems scince.

highharry

Likes Dirt
I broke my collar bone, and it was displace by 3cm. I was in hospital for a week and got surgery to insert a titanium rod through the centre of it. The doctor recons the bone will be healed in 5 weeks and the rod gets taken out in 5 months. Im not supposed to ride for this time as it will shatter not break if i put it under alot of stress while the rod is in. Considering selling my bikes so they are not just devaluing while not in use.

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
my left wrist is double plated and i had a trimed plate in my right wrist. when i did my right wrist i had a thermoplastic brace but no cast. i still went to the bmx track when it was broken, mostly manualling but a little jumping. i could still manual medium/large doubles. but it probly isnt the best idea. i always have had good orthopedic surgeons and kinda headed their advice.
Yea my left is double plated 7 screws and a wire but the surgeon said i should wait 5-6 months to race again:( How many weeks or months did you wait until riding full on??

krelo

Likes Bikes
I broke my wrist , about 2 weeks after I got the cast on I was back on the bike. I had yhe cast on for 6 weeks , When I got the cast of my wrist was pretty screwed.

mitcho

Likes Bikes
hey sorry to hear about your wrist i just had surgery on my knee behind the knee cap was broken into 4peices and now has 2 plates and dozens of screws the doctor told me 6months before i get back on the bike doing any dh no idea when il be racing again. but i have also broken my wriest actually rode with the cast on afew times but pretty much as soon as the cast was off i was riding again

chase1

Likes Dirt
broke mine about a week and a half ago now.
hopefully i'll be back on the bike asap.

going snowboarding next week. i'll just have to take it easy not likely

Boostpig

Likes Bikes
hey sorry to hear about your wrist i just had surgery on my knee behind the knee cap was broken into 4peices and now has 2 plates and dozens of screws the doctor told me 6months before i get back on the bike doing any dh no idea when il be racing again. but i have also broken my wriest actually rode with the cast on afew times but pretty much as soon as the cast was off i was riding again
Ouch good luck with the recovery. you got lucky with your wrist no way i could ride a bike now.:D

mitcho

Likes Bikes
Ouch good luck with the recovery. you got lucky with your wrist no way i could ride a bike now.:D
yeh was lucky with the wrist but not this time lots of other injurys as well
if i kenw how to post a pic up i would put the xray before and after of my knee on here.
cant make up my mind about selling my 2008 sunday though is it worth keeping for that amout of time off the bike?

DH'er_28

Likes Dirt
This was a couple of years back but still have the photo's. Broken and dislocated ..... enjoy
Yow! That first one looks bad.

Last year I snapped 1 bone and fractured 2 in my left wrist, was all out of whack. They did an operation, and 8 weeks later, the cast was taken off. It still had a massive kink, the cast had left room for the bone to move back out again.

A second operation, 3 pins, and another 10 weeks and it was fine.

Then this year (3 months after recovering from the previous one) I fractured my right wrist. Luckily it wasn't that bad, only took 8 weeks to ride again.

I think I may try to be a bit more careful, 2 wrists broken in less than half a year...

racebmx

Likes Dirt
Yea my left is double plated 7 screws and a wire but the surgeon said i should wait 5-6 months to race again:( How many weeks or months did you wait until riding full on??
12weeks i think. will be sore for a while. i wore wrist braces and they helped heaps. the 661 long ones. check the website.

_Ajax_

Likes Dirt
I broke my wrist. Cant remember what bone.

Shorts grabbed the gear shifter. But i do have a photo of my cut up knee, right to the bone. I was completely unaware of my broken wrist at the time, i just pushed on.

Attachments

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Ive broken both wrists 5 times each + broken my left scafoid twice and my right scafoid once, numerouse broken and dislocated fingers. Ive disocated my shoulder 3 times in the last 12 months and am still recovering from torn ligaments in my ankle after a major crash at mt buller back in march, which resulted in an ambulance ride off the mountain and 8 weeks in a moon boot. Also spent a total of nearly 7 months in hospital about 5 years ago and nearly lost my left leg after nurmeouse surgerys after a dune buggy i was in rolled, i got thrown out and then it landed on top of me!! Know i have a massive scar that kinda looks like a shark bite in the inside of my thigh. CAN ANYONE TOP THAT??