Bronson Carbon

ChopSticks

Banned
Any issues with that rear axle! Did yours come up shorter than stock one?

bike looks soooo sweet !
did you try installing the shot the other way? Or no room for climb switch?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
While the stealthy has a nice understated look, I quite liked the yellow decals with your blue highlights, it stood out in a nice way.

So the Pike hype was well deserved? Still not convinced on mine, Not a bad fork, but gets overwhelmed at speed or under performs at slow speeds depending how it's set up, seriously considering some avalanche internals.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I like this one more than that chap's black one in the American desert.

And I loved that black one in the American desert.

mint355

Likes Dirt
Finally maybe......

Bronson had a make over several weeks ago with some decals, these are the same ones I had made for mint355's Bronson (copycats). With my impatience, I didn't have as much luck as Clint at applying mine so I gave up and blacked out all the colour with matte black 3M wrap, then stuck my vinyl decals over....looks good. Knowing I can change the colour at anytime with a phone call is a bonus!

I also gave into the Pike phenomenon, how could all those people be wrong, right...well they are. Over and above current generation Fox forks in the way they ride, the Pikes hark back to the days of Marz smoothness with old gen Fox control and weight, awesome.

The shock yep, same deal awesome....but it's only just been installed, running a base tune off CC lounge that someone had for a Bronson. It's already making me wonder what the hell Fox are doing, seriously.....

A couple other changes is some wider 750mm Thomson carbon bars and Extralite axles front and rear.
Finally John... I have been waiting for this. Looks shit hot, the matte vinyl is really good quality and blends quite well with the frame. The CC shock has really improved the ride of mine also. I am still running the base tune, I have had a couple of goes tuning the shock but I have reverted back to the base tune after a few days. Fox Shox have dropped the ball and lost the game.... I looked into the extralite axles and emailed them but they didn't know what size the dt swiss rws axle was.... I gave up in the end. Anyways looks sweet. CheeRs Clint.

slowmick

38-39"
love the black on black. also love the idea you can buy stickers and change at will to suit shuttle rig, riding apparel, or anything else that takes your fancy. Nice work :thumb:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Any issues with that rear axle! Did yours come up shorter than stock one?
No issues perse'....Extralite's "Scott" version does bolt up but you have to remove the SC nut that retains the derailleur hanger....tighten the axle up, re-install the nut. Not sure that I'd go another rear axle as there's only 30g in it over a 12x142 DT Swiss RWS.....but this is a 10/10ths build.

Did you try installing the shot the other way? Or no room for climb switch?
The CCIL looks weird when mounted the "other" way and I wanted it to blend into the bike and not stand out, the CS can just as easily be turned on as I've mounted it.....no issues and it disappears into the back ground mounted normally.

Treat yourself to a front tyre upgrade though.
I love the NN, nice tall knobs that dig into the soils I ride....would love Maxxis to do a 27.5 Advantage, HR2 are too heavy and I never liked them in the first place.

While the stealthy has a nice understated look, I quite liked the yellow decals with your blue highlights, it stood out in a nice way.

So the Pike hype was well deserved? Still not convinced on mine, Not a bad fork, but gets overwhelmed at speed or under performs at slow speeds depending how it's set up, seriously considering some avalanche internals.
Nah the two odd ball colours never did it for me, your plain jane Nomad 3 is what I wished SC would do as a colour option on their frames....and maybe supply a decal kit so people can customize....

Pike....yes it's the best fork I've ridden in several years, it was sush an improvement initiallly over the Fox stuff of the last few years, but do look forward to getting it serviced and some SKF low friction seals....the CCIL has showed it up though....

I like this one more than that chap's black one in the American desert and I loved that black one in the American desert.
HiFi, like/love...love/like.... is hard to be objective about...lol

I looked into the extralite axles and emailed them but they didn't know what size the dt swiss rws axle was.... I gave up in the end. Clint.
It's the Scott version....see my words above to Chopsticks Q. Had 3 purchases now, Alessandro at Extralite is fine to deal with, but the language/culture thing can be a barrier.....but Extralite stuff is quality.

it looks like an absoluteblack cap.
Yep.....similar "all in one' stem cap/bolts can be had from a number of sources....also purchased "Origin 8" versions off eBay, usually 3.4g over the 15g of top cap + bolt.

Anyway to round it up, the only major change that I'd make is the KS Lev 65mm Carbon dropper, as I don't need the seat to drop all the way down and I could chase away some grams high up in the middle of the frame.....but it's already light, currently the bike sits at 25.75lbs and if you are in doubt about Pike or CCIL....get a ride on them, bike transforming kit.

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
Sensational build!
Love stealth black

Fox have dropped the ball with their suspension of late - shame

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Man that thing looks sweet. Would love some feedback on Hope brakes in general? Any good? Hit & miss?
I've had a few hopes recently and there isn't a better brake. The x2 were good enough for any of the riding I do, with plenty of adjustments to fine tune them. Currently running the v4 and cant rate them enough. With a braided line the x2 would cover almost everything to be done.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Had a few improvements over the last several weeks.....

My favorite saddle the Spoon now made by Fabric nee Charge is offered in a number of shapes/rail configurations.....

These Next SL cranks....talked about and mulled over by many here are an excellent piece of carbon engineering
I could actually feel the loss of rotational weight at the pedals for the first few rides...

Though I'm not to fussed on the torque ring/BB spacing. Despite the instruction saying I didn't need any spacers for a 73mm BB....I did! The width of the BB cups is a few mm's narrower than the SRAM BB cups on my previous cranks, then I also need to delve into my parts bin to find some thin BB spacers so I didn't have to tighten the torque ring excessively to take out too much play.

But they're working fine with no creaks.

Got the 180mm AirRotors fitted the correct way.....though I reckon they're only a little more powerful than the 160mm Superstar Co they replaced....might need a 180mm rotor with more surface area like the new Galfers....

Anyway, bike is pretty much a done deal and possibly the most well rounded bike I've had.....the best $'s I've spent on the bike, definitely the CC Inline....

Last edited:

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Got the 180mm AirRotors fitted the correct way.....though I reckon they're only a little more powerful than the 160mm Superstar Co they replaced....might need a 180mm rotor with more surface area like the new Galfers....
Physics says that surface area will make no difference to braking power, it will only affect the wear rate. In other words you can have brake pads like needles and they would work just as good as any others, however they would only last for one ride.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Not sure on your physics lesson there Mr Bell, certainly hasn't been my experience....more surface for the pad to grab surely equals more braking...

Anyway.....the Bronson is a total package for me now. It's genuinely capable of covering a broad range of riding with no more than a tyre change. It doesn't want for any more components to improve it, just tuning and maintenance tinkering from now on.

It sits light at 25.37Lbs/11.50Kg as it stands (including the rock guard/marshguard/chainstay wrap/VPP mudflap). While getting it under 25lbs would be awesome that's more of a mental/bragging thing and is nigh on impossible without effecting the bikes peformance in any one area and detracting from its do it all character.

It's in my top 3 SC that I've owned...