Bronson

Kurtnz

Likes Bikes
Felt like building up a new ride so decided to try out this 650b thing. I've listed parts below, the price and where I purchased to give people an idea of what it costs to build one yourself. There were a few things I used from the old bike (handlebars, grips, brakes, pedals). Couple of things to tidy up, the brake line routing to the rear, shorten the brake lines and probably move the stem up a little.

12396345994_10ebb9f84a_b.jpg
12396061793_ac7ec8cce1_c.jpg

Frame - Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon (Large) - $3280 - For the riders
Rear shock - Fox Float CTD Evolution
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Pike 2014 27.5 Solo Air Tapered Black 150 - $1004.22 - mountainbikesdirect
Handlebars - Easton Haven (spare)
Stem - Kore Repute 50mm - $64.99 - CRC
Headset - Gravity DX Pro - $80.49 - CRC
Grips - ODI Rogue (spare)
Saddle - WTB something (spare)
Seatpost - Easton EA50 - $27.87 - Wiggle
Front brake - Shimano XT (spare)
Rear brake - Shimano XT (spare)
Cranks - Shimano SLX M675 10 Speed Double 38.24t, 175mm - $148.99 - CRC
Chainguide -
Chain - Shimano XT HG95 10 - $33.99 - CRC
Pedals - V12 (spare)
Front derailleur - Shimano XT M786 Conventional 2x10 Front Mech - $34.49 - CRC
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech - $77.99 - CRC
Shifters - Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter (Pair) - $96.49 - CRC
Cassette - Shimano Deore XT CS-M771 Bicycle Cassette 10-Speed (11-36) - $89.99 - Pushys
Wheels - Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 650b Wheelset Arch EX - $550.11 - Wiggle
Tyres - Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.30 (650B) EXO TR (x2) - $69.98 - Pushys
Tubes - none
Total weight - unknown

Misc

Front rotor: Shimano XT-Saint RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor 203mm - $51.49 - CRC
Rear rotor: Shimano XT-Saint RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotor 180mm - $43.99 - CRC
Front brake mount: Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to Post 203mm - $12.49 - CRC
Rear brake mount: Shimano SM-MA-R180-P/S Disc Mount Adapter - $28.90 ($10 shipping) - TBSM
Spacers: Hope Space Doctor Spacers Pack - $12.49 - CRC
Wheel conversion kit: Hope Pro 2 Evo MTB Rear Wheel Axle Conversion Kit X12 Thru Kit - $17.49 - Wiggle
Tubeless valves: Stan's NoTubes 35mm U-boatniversal Valve- $16.99 - Pushys
Tubeless rim tape: Stan's NoTubes Rim Tape 25mm - $22.99 ($10 shipping) - Pushys
Tubeless sealant: Stan's NoTubes Tyre Sealant Pint 16oz - $17.99 - Pushys
Spare tubes: Maxxis Welterweight 27.5 x 2.20/2.50 (650b) French/Presta Valve MTB Tube x 2 - $11.58 ($10 shipping) - Pushys
Lube: Rock "N" Roll Extreme 16oz Bicycle Lubricant Kit - $18.99 - Pushys

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a pretty flash bike you've built up.. Any chance of a ride report? What were you riding before this? Cheers :thumb:

Quintin

Eats Squid
not bad, thats a good deal on the bronson frame - a lot off rrp.

anyone looking for a high end bike should go see For The Riders.

Kurtnz

Likes Bikes
That's a pretty flash bike you've built up.. Any chance of a ride report? What were you riding before this? Cheers :thumb:
Haven't ridden it on any trails yet just finished the build last week. Before that I had a Kona Tanuki, after snapping the frame decided it was time for something else.

Kurtnz

Likes Bikes
not bad, thats a good deal on the bronson frame - a lot off rrp.

anyone looking for a high end bike should go see For The Riders.
Yeah it was the cheapest I could find and they just happened to have a large in stock so jumped on it.

moorey

call me Mia
Couple of things to tidy up, the brake line routing to the rear, shorten the brake lines and probably move the stem up a little.
My spidey sense tells me 'yes'

nice bike, cobs. One of the few rigs that could tempt me off a 26"

Kurtnz

Likes Bikes
Nice build Kurt - but you're gonna cut down those huge cables yeah?!:thumb:

Cam
Yup shortened the brake lines, got some new carbon bars and bought some of that clear tint stuff from Supercheap to add some protection to the paintwork.

926396_390183004457374_1187393367_n.jpg

teK--

Eats Squid
Yup shortened the brake lines, got some new carbon bars and bought some of that clear tint stuff from Supercheap to add some protection to the paintwork.

View attachment 286823
Lookin good I should see about re-routing my cables so they aren't crossed over. Although the advantage with the way they are now is there is no frame contact at all...

ChopSticks

Banned
love the subtle highlights on the bar to match your frame!

any plans to drop one of the front rings and getting a dropper?
I'd love to pimp his bike with blue bits to match the frame!!!!

D

Deleted member FN2187

Probably the only 27.5 wheeled bike I'd consider spending money on. Nice One!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Nice mate. Thinking about one of these in the distant future lol. Been looking at the new Heckler though with the same geo but just single pivot. Suits my budget a bit better. Any reason you went for the Bronson?

Kurtnz

Likes Bikes
Any reason you went for the Bronson?
SB66 was tempting but 4k for a frame is a little steep and I figure in a couple years it's going to be harder/more expensive to get 26" wheels/tyres so might as well bite the bullet and go with 650b now.

The fact that I wanted to build it myself also played a small part, no internal cable routing, threaded bottom bracket etc made it a bit easier to work on.

The SC warranty was pretty attractive too, 5 years on the frame and lifetime on the bearings (vs 2 years on the Yeti) is a nice bonus when your paying 3k+ for a frame.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
SB66 was tempting but 4k for a frame is a little steep and I figure in a couple years it's going to be harder/more expensive to get 26" wheels/tyres so might as well bite the bullet and go with 650b now.

The fact that I wanted to build it myself also played a small part, no internal cable routing, threaded bottom bracket etc made it a bit easier to work on.

The SC warranty was pretty attractive too, 5 years on the frame and lifetime on the bearings (vs 2 years on the Yeti) is a nice bonus when your paying 3k+ for a frame.
Cheers mate only ask because I might go through the same. Also for the same reason of building myself. Agree on the threaded BB etc.

Gripo

Eats Squid
So what's it like to ride with a 160mm Pike up front....if I was to go a Pike on mine not sure if a 150mm might be more trail worthy....I know its only 10mm but...

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
I'm sold! Just ordered an X01 build with Kashima (yeah I know, Pike blah blah...) and a Blackspire Bruiser. Starting with a 32T front ring and see how it climbs on that.

4-6 week torture now waiting for the L frames to land.....

Cam

Last edited: