Brookly Machine Works

angoose

Likes Dirt
I keep seeing these brooklyn machine works bikes in mags but i have never actually seen or heard of one in oz. They look so sweet especially that dually. I think it's the race link? Does anyone own one??????

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Fuzzy your the biggest postwhore on teh planet.
I frown upon you!

Umm, i think there are 1 or 2 people that have one on this forum.
I havn't heard of an aussie importer though.

angoose

Likes Dirt
i only did this cause every time i see one i drool over it for ages. How much do they cost in AUD

angoose

Likes Dirt
they just look so different. i'm guessing that there not too heavy and the duallies also got such a low stand over height. i really wanna see one.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
angoose said:
i'm guessing that there not too heavy.
Guess again. Those BMW bikes have to be close to one of the heaviest you can buy. However, they do seem to be trying to change this with their newer models (not a great deal though, they'll still be too heavy to qualify as a good dh race bike).

MIKEY B

Likes Dirt
Scott said:
angoose said:
i'm guessing that there not too heavy.
Those BMW bikes have to be close to one of the heaviest you can buy.

But if any one read the reveiw in Dirt where they tested the slalom type rig ( 7" rear/Shiver sc forks ) and they were riding the thing up a set of stairs and using it as a jump. I mean, seriously how sweet it would be to have bike that you could do that on and not worry about it falling to bits.

+ The beastie boys helped them out with some cash when the first got going. Nuff said.

The Giant

Likes Bikes
Not long ago i was trying to see if i could get one, and contacted people who had them, a guy in the UK told me that he is mates with Nigel Page and he said that if Page was not sponsered that he would be one one straight up. They also make a nice little hard tail, go to www.go-ride.com and have a look they can send em to AUS, also have a look at sprung 4 it has a big section of em. And they are still heavy but the race link is alot better than the older modle the tmx.

Mason

Likes Dirt
A fully decked out BMW usually weights in at about 70 pounds sorry to say. I rose on at Whistler, duel 24's, avalanche front and rear, sizemic hubs (sp) ect... heavy but dreamy.

Looked sorta like this one...

danv

Likes Dirt
Yikes! That's some high arsed BB action. Doesn't that severely affect the way it rides - COG and all that. Or does it sag down a fair bit with all that travel?

floody

Wheel size expert
If you want something overpriced, overbuilt just for the sake of image, made with average quality tubing (its just garden variety 4130 like you can buy at the local tubemakers), and put together with plain nasty welding, then BMW is the go.... :roll:

petri

Likes Dirt
floody said:
If you want something overpriced, overbuilt just for the sake of image, made with average quality tubing (its just garden variety 4130 like you can buy at the local tubemakers), and put together with plain nasty welding, then BMW is the go.... :roll:
Floody, love your opinionated view on things! You are right though, the welding is pretty nice from what i hear but they are way too expensive glam tanks (for Australia anyway) and importing one would cost an arm and a leg. Their pedals on the other hand........mmmmmm

tmx

Squid
Mason said:
A fully decked out BMW usually weights in at about 70 pounds sorry to say. I rose on at Whistler, duel 24's, avalanche front and rear, sizemic hubs (sp) ect... heavy but dreamy.

Looked sorta like this one...

most the tmx's i know of weigh in around 55lbs and the race link's between 44 - 50. 70lbs?!? avalanche fork, siesmic hubs, that's not bklyn's weight.

floody, "If you want something overpriced, overbuilt just for the sake of image, made with average quality tubing (its just garden variety 4130 like you can buy at the local tubemakers), and put together with plain nasty welding, then BMW is the go...."

could not be farther from the truth. bklyn welds are works of art and the company is not the slightest bit concerned with image. the designs are performance driven. i especially love the comment about garden variety chromoly. if you only REALLY knew what you were talking about you'd know how extremely funny you are.

&

Likes Dirt
TMX I think you've mistaken what he said.
Just whack 24 Gazzalodies on any bike banger and it will look sick and ride up stairs. They use 24s mainly to hide their fucked up BB hight.

The Giant

Likes Bikes
Brooklyn Machine Works kick ass, get that thing going down a hill and the weight wont mean shit, when i was looking at one i talked to owners of the race links, they said that the only issue with em on a dh race track is tight courners. Also in an older dirt they had a interview on a UK rider Mark Weightemen (i think that is how you spell it) and he as well as many others have made em quite light by choosing the right components. Also cheack out the new dirt for a look at DOC's new bike he is one of the owners of the company and he has one of there FQ's which is a smaller travel race link pretty much, and i think his is single speed but still full sus. I love the idea that these bikes are meant to be the best new york street bike, that is what they exist. Somebody please import em. Petri put ya hand up mate. By the way you were meant to send me that footage of my crash what happened to that????????

Jordy

RYD4LF
at the 4x last weekend there was some dude with one of the hardtails....it looked sick ! the welding looked fine to my untrained eyes