Budget flat pedals and shoes.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After riding XC bikes for years with SPDs the first ride on my new Remedy and I'm contemplating flat pedals and shoes for fun. Seems, the argument for and against is still going strong, but leaning towards flats for fun bikes and sticking with locked in for climbing.

I do have an old pair of Wellgos, but they don't have much in the way of grip and I dont really have suitable shoes ATM, only running shoes.

Is there a go-to budget pedal and/or shoe recommended by the wisdom of Rotorburn? The threads I found on here were a few years old. I'd probably be happy with a cheap pair of skate style shoes unless that's a really bad idea, and if I hate the flats, I'll put them on another bike I don't use in anger on the trails.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
How budget? :)

Use a New10 promo at CRC and you can get some 5-10 Freeriders delivered for around $140. I think thats pretty much your entry point. Think one of the German sites is a little cheaper though. Then grab some 2nd hand flat pedals off RB? DMR make some cheaper OK pedals too.

Staunch

Eats Squid
For $50 you can get a pair of Wellgo MG5s off ebay.
I've got a set of MG1s from 9 years ago, they've seen better days but still function fine. The MG5s are just the newer model. 300g for the pair, much slimmer and have larger pins.

They're just pretty much a knock-off of any decent high end flat pedal nowdays in regards to platfrom

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have been running these on all my bikes for the last couple of years:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/fire-eye-hot-candy-pedals/rp-prod119683

Very happy with them. Only issue I have is that the end caps can loosen a little every now and then on the set I ride most often. They have copped quite a beating though.

These are the most vocally recommended option in the other threads like this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...on-evo-electron-evo-flat-pedals/rp-prod122950

I like the look of them. They appear to have 2 pins that are moulded which may wear down after heavy use. But you'll have plenty of other pins. Or those pins might be painted to match the pedal.

I was sceptical about using plastic. Pedals at first, but it didn't take long to be proven wrong about their durability. Their is also a significant weight saving.

Of you're set on metal, the more recent DMR v12 are quite nice and can be found for a reasonable price. The shimano saints as well, though they get a lot of hate.

For shoes, depending what size you wear, you can grab some 5:10s from just over $50 off crc. A few of my friends recently purchased from the 5:10 site as well and grabbed some shoes that were being run out.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/five-ten-sleuth-mtb-shoes-2017/rp-prod132489

The will skate style shoes be ok argument begins now...

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$50 for shoes sounds like my kind of budget. Will have to work out my size, then load up for free shipping!