Budget Protection

Optic

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, following a bit of a stack at the you yangs over the weekend I thought it'd be a good idea to get some gear that's going to be more protective.

I'm interested to know what you guys can recommend that isn't going to cost a fortune, I was looking at getting a full face helmet, goggles, knee pads and elbow pads.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Its hard to go past the 661 stuff for a budget protection setup. The You Yangs is a particularly unforgiving place to fall off a bike

teK--

Eats Squid
Things I've found so far

Helmet: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/661-comp-helmet-2014/rp-prod113734

excellent airflow and very light. great value helmet this is what I use. Buy the australian standards version from pushys.com.au

Knee Pads: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/661-rage-knee-guards-2014/rp-prod113560

They are OK but also cHeck out IXS Carve knee and elbow they are a good value pad which is kevlar and very durable.

Goggles: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/oakley-proven-mx-goggles/rp-prod31653

Check out 100% Accuri. They fit well with the 661 Comp helmet. I haven't tried the Oakleys.

Elbow: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/661-rage-hard-elbow-guards-2014/rp-prod113557

Anyone had any experience with any of these items?
See above.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Seconded for the comp helmet, rode with one on the weekend and it was light but comfortable. I threw my scott snow googles on (only thing I have!) and they fit fine fwiw.

Optic

Likes Dirt
Seconded for the comp helmet, rode with one on the weekend and it was light but comfortable. I threw my scott snow googles on (only thing I have!) and they fit fine fwiw.
Looks like I'm getting that helmet then!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I got a pair of those 661 knee pads not long ago - had my first ride with them at YY on Sunday and they were awesome.

A little warm, but comfy, never became uncomfortable or irritating and hardly moved!
The sizing chart for them is spot on, too... I got XL based on their measurements and it's a perfect fit.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
The 661 Rage knee pads are excellent, I have some and find them very comfortable. Haven't stacked with them yet, but I imagine they will be fine.

Optic

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback guys. Do you think knee and elbow protection is enough for all mountain riding? I guess it all depends on personal preference.

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks for the feedback guys. Do you think knee and elbow protection is enough for all mountain riding? I guess it all depends on personal preference.
Yep most of the time.

When doing shuttle days I also wear lightweight soft armoured shorts and shirt. (Troy Lee). You just push that much harder and get more tired when you don't have to climb all day :) Landing on rocks in the hip or thigh bruises big time.

I have an Evoc FR Lite backpack with a back protector which I wear all the time.

Klips

Likes Dirt
I have an Evoc FR Lite backpack with a back protector which I wear all the time.
I've got the evoc enduro blackline and yeah, wear it all the time (like, even on xc rides >2 hours). Suuuuper comfy, light, integrated spine protector etc.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey guys, following a bit of a stack at the you yangs over the weekend I thought it'd be a good idea to get some gear that's going to be more protective.

I'm interested to know what you guys can recommend that isn't going to cost a fortune, I was looking at getting a full face helmet, goggles, knee pads and elbow pads.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Optic- you are obviously around the Melbourne area. I have a few sets of knee and elbow pads you can have. Im in Heidelberg and possibly riding the Youies on Saturday 9th. PM me if your keen. I have used pads in 10 years- silly to have multiple sets.

Postal

Likes Bikes
I have the Race Face evo flank legs (knee/shin) and ambush elbow and they are great, they use D30 foam though which may not be for everyone.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently had an OTB moment that left me with 11 stitches just under my knee cap. I wasn't too keen on knee protection but I did some reading last night and found many positive user reviews for Troy Lee Design KGS5400 guards. Loads of people said they forget they're wearing them even on all day rides, which was the winning factor for me. I found prices online at the usual stores but locally they can be sourced for the same money, less if you have to pay postage from OS.

I tried on a set at my LBS today and walked out with them. They look good, feel ultra light and appear to have decent protection for XC or AM style riding. In comparison to a set of 661 or Pinstripe pads, they probably offer slightly less protection but they don't look like they'll get your legs as hot or bunch up behind the knee as much. I'll report back after I get a ride in with them. I paid $78 and a few local stores have them at that price. Might be worth a look.

Optic

Likes Dirt
I recently had an OTB moment that left me with 11 stitches just under my knee cap. I wasn't too keen on knee protection but I did some reading last night and found many positive user reviews for Troy Lee Design KGS5400 guards. Loads of people said they forget they're wearing them even on all day rides, which was the winning factor for me. I found prices online at the usual stores but locally they can be sourced for the same money, less if you have to pay postage from OS.

I tried on a set at my LBS today and walked out with them. They look good, feel ultra light and appear to have decent protection for XC or AM style riding. In comparison to a set of 661 or Pinstripe pads, they probably offer slightly less protection but they don't look like they'll get your legs as hot or bunch up behind the knee as much. I'll report back after I get a ride in with them. I paid $78 and a few local stores have them at that price. Might be worth a look.
Sounds good mate, interested to see how they perform.

Klips

Likes Dirt
I went with Leatt from CRC for the remainder of the protective gear I got, I've got the 3DF or whatever it's called elbow pads and the enduro hard shell knee/upper shin pads. Both are excellent, as they slide on and there's a cut out in the material in the inner part of the joint so you get no bunching. The kneepads aren't the same as pedalling with nothing on, but they're not as bad as I thought they may be so I'll usually do the first climb with them in the bag, stick them on for the first descent and ride with them on for the remainder, that's been fine for 2-3 hour rides.

Optic

Likes Dirt
Has anyone tried the new 661 Evo Knee Pads? And/or elbow pads. They look great for enduro riding.