Building a Down hill bike

crashtestdummy

Likes Bikes
Hi
My 13yr old son is keen as to get into DH riding, I on the other hand am a bit reluctant to throw big bucks at a bike that may just end up as a passing fad. With all the used frames, rims shocks and just about everything else needed to build up a bike available through this site is it worth it as i know we would enjoy the whole process or just keep an eye out for a good entry level bike.
As i am only newly registerd i am yet unable to start or reply to a thread in the used or wanted to buy section yet ( or maybe I cant work out how) so any suggestions would be appreciated. We are looking at around the $1000 mark give or take a little
Thanks
Regards
Greg

skinner

Likes Dirt
You would be better off buying a complete s/hand bike, rather than a full build as it usually ends up costing quite a lot more....

eternalgorias

Likes Dirt
You would be better off buying a complete s/hand bike, rather than a full build as it usually ends up costing quite a lot more....
I disagree, with ebay and all the online bike stores you can save quite a bit of dosh building it up yourself. The best thing about building your own bike is how much you learn about the technical aspect of the process, it also gives you a good project to fill in a few months. I don't know what you'll get for $1000. With that budget you would be better off going for somthing already built. A good quality 2nd hand hardtail is great to start with.

Knight

Likes Dirt
To post in the trading section, you need to get trading access. Look here: http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=4932.

For your price range, I recommend buying a complete bike. As your son progresses, then consider buying different parts and putting them on. Look in the trading section. 2nd hand tends to be better value for money - higher level bike for less money.

stevan_istheman

Likes Bikes
$1000 should almost do it, depending on what bargins you can catch.;)
I'm building a bike up from scratch at the moment and i'm guessing it's gonna cost between $1200 and $1500. Of course that's not using crap components, and not the best stuff around either.

So far i've got an 05' Giant AC frame with a set of Manitou Stance kingpins and that's only added up to about $450.

Check out downhill direct, they've got a couple build kits that could really help out price wise (and they're not real bad quality either).

crashtestdummy

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the positive help all, we are looking at a Norco fuse frame at the moment, will go from there, will keep you updated but if anyone hears of anything let us know
regards
Greg

Matt H

Eats Squid
That stinky "Matt_82" has for sale would be a much better choice than a fuse frame, ofcourse depending on specs and Condition.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If hes 13 and only just getting into riding, and your looking at spending about a grand you'd be better off with a hardtail. So much more versatile than a fully for someone that young. Unless hes a total natural E.G. An 11 year old kid that lives up here, rides a Kona Stinky and is better than alot of 15-16 year olds.. as a matter of fact better than alot of adults to.

But yeah, i'd go for a brand new hardtail, something like a Giant STP2, or something from the Kona range, or similiar.

crashtestdummy

Likes Bikes
thanks for your input all, Thanks Alec Mcjo, i should clear up a few things, yes my son is only 13 but is a big bugga, he is just on 6' tall and a solid build so he is more adult size, he has been riding a mongoose freestyle bike and a Mongoose hardtail for a a few years now and just wants to progess up to something a bit more substantial that will handle his size for a couple of years