Building skills for a newbie

DTBrad

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
so far enjoying riding through Passchendaele State forest with my two older sons (10 and 8) and slowly building fitness riding around the paddock at home and at work.

One thing I have noticed is I need to build my skill set up. Basically I want to be able to negotiate obstacles better. Not interested in massive jumps or anything that can not reasonable tackled with a XC bike. Any tips on building my skills up in a manner to not loose confidence?

Thanks.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
YouTube is your friend, and heaps of practicing. Riding with others more skilled helps as well.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is an oldie but it has a lot of good techniques, it's not focused on hardcore freestyle. If you're not confident about self learning you may also take lessons with a MTB instructor.

[video=youtube;F9vakhSvgt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vakhSvgt8[/video]

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ or some guided rides. They'll often throw you some info about making it to the end alive...dying on the trail is bad for busines. Nothing will beat practice. Build some easy obstacles in the paddock. Get some bricks, rock, timber, dirt, whatever is easy to come by and make the kind of things you want to ride. Then drop your seat post all the way down so it doesn't jam in your junk and cause you grief.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Check out Ryan leech. He runs an online coaching business and offers a heap of great courses online. Mostly skills related like manuals, wheelies, bunny hops etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk