Buller XC trail launch - woohoo!

Mt Buller

Likes Dirt
OK… so I’m a little excited to be inviting everyone to the official launch of Stonefly, our latest XC trail, which will be held at Buller on 15 Jan.

Designed by Glen Jacobs and his awesome World Trail crew, this 10km trail completes the loop between the summit of Mt Buller and the neighbouring Mt Stirling, and also marks the final stage of our three year MTB trail project - a major milestone for Buller!

11:00AM - TRAIL LAUNCH AT THE SKILLS PARK, CORN HILL, MT BULLER
Knock back a bevie and join us in celebrating the launch of Stonefly, before heading out on a free guided tour of the new trails.

8:30PM - SPECIAL OUTDOOR CINEMA SCREENING, MT BULLER VILLAGE
Relax on the grass of Bourke Street Ski Run and have a laugh at Glen Jacobs' own MTB films from the early 90s - pure gold. This will be followed by a screening of Life Cycles, one of the best bike flicks to recently hit our shores. Better still – it’s FREE!

You’ve heard the hype - now come and check it out for yourself!

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Awesome. I thought that a track from Buller to Sterling would have been more than 10km though, I guess it is just the vertical changes that would make it so tough. Can't wait to ride it.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
aw shame i wont be able to make it but nice one guys. cant wait to try it out in the future! Hey any idea on when a new map will be out?

Mt Buller

Likes Dirt
Awesome. I thought that a track from Buller to Sterling would have been more than 10km though, I guess it is just the vertical changes that would make it so tough. Can't wait to ride it.
The entire run from Buller to Stirling (depending on which way you go) is actually about a 30km return trip, including the new Stonefly loop. It's just that before now, you could only get from Buller to Howqua Gap on single track - the addition of Stonefly completes the Buller/Stirling summit link by stretching the from Howqua to Stirling and back (a 10km loop).

Last edited:

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Ok, that makes a lot more sense to me. I've hiked from Buller to Sterling a few times, and I imagine it will be a killer ride. Looking forward to giving it a go some time.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
New maps please! :D

oh and if you give me (via PM) the GPX logs of them ill get the new trails mapped on opencyclemap.org

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Thats a really nice map, thanks for uploading it. Do you know what software it was made with?

stacky

Likes Bikes
Just wondering how are things looking for the trail launch? Hope all the hard work isn't being washed away by the rain we're getting!

Mt Buller

Likes Dirt
Buller has experienced 80km winds and side-ways rain for the last three days, but the weather is supposed to start clear tomorrow (only some light rain early in the morning) and Sunday is supposed to be fine.

While the trails were in pristine condition at the start of the week they have naturally been affected by these poor conditions. They are wet at the moment but still solid underfoot.

With this in mind, we’ll still be hosting the launch on Sat but you should focus your riding on the Sunday when conditions in general will be better.

The free screening of Glen Jacob's old school films and Life Cycles will go ahead as planned, shown on either an outdoor cinema screen or indoors at the Mt Buller cinema.

Mt Buller

Likes Dirt
We ended up having beautiful blue skys all weekend and the World Trail team pulled out all the stops to make sure Stonefly was good to go on Sat. Couldn't have asked for better conditions!

Last edited:

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Big Call

It's a big call, but I'm making it; Stonefly is the best trail I have ever ridden.

I was lucky enough to be working for ATC as a guide on the mountain this weekend and had the opportunity to ride Stonefly with the media contingent. The flow of the track is awesome, the climbs are challenging, the berms perfect and the scenery so breathtaking you could asphyxiate.

In his speech at the opening of the trail Glen Jacobs described how the world trail crew had roamed the bush on Mt. Stirling looking for the locations that make the trail so fantastic. Once all these places were found, they plotted them on a map and, "Joined the dots." The design and the quality of the trail construction make it unbelievably good.

A few words of warning; It is a wilderness trail, so be prepared. That means water, food, pump, tube and a waterproof jacket. The descent from Mt. Stirling back to Howqua Gap is sublime and a great opportunity to go very, very fast. There were some awesome crashes on Saturday, so ride within your limits (sorry if I sound like your mum).

Big thanks to Mt Buller and to the World Trail crew.

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bjorn is dead right. This trail is unlike anything else I've ridden.

At first we laughed when we looked at the recommended time on the Buller maps (10km, 1-2 hours) - but it's dead on. We got around in 1:15 from Howqua, and very easily it could take longer.

Big hats off to Mt Buller, and Glen and his team - it's a huge job and they've pulled it off.

(Bjorn - didn't see you there - must have walked straight past you at some point. Hope you had a great weekend)

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Bjorn - didn't see you there - must have walked straight past you at some point. Hope you had a great weekend.
Yeah, it would be hard to recognise either of us by our avatars; you especially, if you didn't have your glue pot in hand.

I was there for the media circus and rode sweep for the media/VIP group. I think we took quite some hours to get around, what with all the photo opportunities and chatting. Then the movie showing of Ice Cream Heads From Way Outer Space and Life Cycles. Ice Cream Heads was the better of the two, I reckon.

Such a great weekend, great trail, great fun, great event.

I even ran into Mrs H and her son, who I recognised from her son's bike, as posted in the thread "What do your kids ride?"

My only regret of the weekend was my planned solo around Stonefly after work on Sunday, was abandoned due to some unforeseen circumstances that had me legging it home.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Looks awesome, can't wait to ride it now. Just reckon the 6km up may kill me before the down.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Looks awesome, can't wait to ride it now. Just reckon the 6km up may kill me before the down.
Most of the up is pretty easy. The switchbacks out of the first creek may make you feel like you are going to die, but it chills out after that. After the descent you'll forget all the climbing pain.

Best spot to drive/park ?

To do a run on the new StoneFly - is it a LOOP - or one-way - and then reverse...?

Where is the best place to park the car ? Top of Mt.Buller ?