Bushing Help!!

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hey guys just a quick questions about bushings for Forks and rear shocks

How do I know when my bushings are shot or not without taking the forks/back shock apart???

As today I noticed while cleaning my bike that the back end has a very tiny bit if play when lifted from the seat and below the seat tube(just to make sure its just not the seat)

And I was also thinking at the same time about my forks, as I have no idea when they were last replaced if they ever have been,

BTW the forks are 2007 marzocchi 888rcv and the back shock is a 2009 fox DHX 3

Cheers Chris

Last edited:

downhiller guy

Likes Bikes
For rear shocks.. I think, If you pick it up slightly from the seat, and feel a bit of clunking come from the pivots area of therea bouts, bushings for the rear would need replacing..
Think that's how it goes for the rear any ways..

Some one else would be able to give more info, i'm not exactly mechanically knowledgeable.

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
If you've got play in your rear shock, its not always necessarily the bushings. first thing to do, although it may be obvious, but check that all the bolts are done up nice and tight in all the linkages and pivots. Then, if you are sure they are all tight, and still have play then yes, you may need to replace the bushings.
I usually do it myself because im stingy and never pay anyone to touch my bike when i think i can do it myself :p
a set of bushings costs about $10-15 and would probs cost another $20 or so for labor. It would be cheaper for you to take the shock out first and just take that only, rather than taking your whole bike..
If you want to give it a shot at doing it yourself, you will need something to press the old one out, and push the new one in, exactly the same diameter as the bushing.. which can be very tricky, depending on how warn the old one is.
Dont risk it, just take it to the shop :)

chris95

Likes Dirt
If you've got play in your rear shock, its not always necessarily the bushings. first thing to do, although it may be obvious, but check that all the bolts are done up nice and tight in all the linkages and pivots. Then, if you are sure they are all tight, and still have play then yes, you may need to replace the bushings.
I usually do it myself because im stingy and never pay anyone to touch my bike when i think i can do it myself :p
a set of bushings costs about $10-15 and would probs cost another $20 or so for labor. It would be cheaper for you to take the shock out first and just take that only, rather than taking your whole bike..
If you want to give it a shot at doing it yourself, you will need something to press the old one out, and push the new one in, exactly the same diameter as the bushing.. which can be very tricky, depending on how warn the old one is.
Dont risk it, just take it to the shop :)
Thanks mate I might take the back shock to my local suspesion works, But does any body out there know how to tell if the fork bushings are Shot????

Kramer

FoBR
It's more than likely the DU bush in your shock (little metal bush in top/bottom eyelet of the shock). Otherwise it could also be the alloy reducers that sit in the DU bush. I just replaced my reducers and DU bush, as the last DU bush only lasted a couple of months and the reducers were slightly ovalised. Good luck!