Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Was keen to give the top section a ride after it's had a few improvements
Not sure what they might have been. Felt like the same course and features since I started riding LM. Its slippery but kind of good to hoen the skills, can't take a bad line or take bad form through the corner and expect not to risk a coming off.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I rode it the day after some snow and rain earlier this year... still quite good to ride. A few slippery spots and a few of the rocks were low on grip but generally good.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Thanks! Was keen to give the top section a ride after it's had a few improvements since I was last out but I might just skip it and roll in from the ticket box!
The top section was excellent a couple of weeks ago. There were the rock roll overs, but they were grippy. Not a lot of exposed root from memory.

The descents after the ticket box were a bit rough and blown out.

It was the first time I'd ridden the top half and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it more than the second half that I'd done a couple of times before.

teK--

Eats Squid
Went lake mountain on Saturday. Freezing cold top half like 3deg or so... wet rivers of runny mud and dirt until at least halfway down. The bottom half was damp but rode well. We were right frozen and filthy by then so it was a hoot. Clean-up was not fun! Would probably avoid this weekend with even more rain on the way.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Did Buxton on Anzac Day, first trip there in a few years. Interesting to see how the place has "naturalised" over the years; when I first went there it wasn't that long after it opened it had a very obvious machine-built feel to it, broad, even bench cuts, berms that looked (and rode) like they'd just been plonked on the side of the track.

Now, although the machine cutting is still visible, vegetation has crept in to reclaim unridden sides, leaving only a narrow trail tread which fits much better with the surrounds. Kinda cool to see that sort of development over time. :)

Last edited:

danncam

Likes Dirt
I'm planning on riding Cascades this Sunday (10th Dec). Any locals or regular riders have an idea how they will recover by then, after the 10-20mm rain Friday and 5-10mm Saturday? Don't want to cancel for a second time but don't want a muddy bogfest either. Thanks

Last edited:

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm planning on riding Cascades this Sunday (10th Dec). Any locals or regular riders have an idea how they will recover by then, after the 10-20mm rain Friday and 5-10mm Saturday? Don't want to cancel for a second time but don't want a muddy bogfest either. Thanks
I was up there last Sunday after a week of wet. There was a good bit of bog around the toll booth thing but stacks of grip where it matters further down.
There’s a few trees down on the final run in to the pub as of last week too, I’d urge caution if you get a thirst on like I do

danncam

Likes Dirt
I was up there last Sunday after a week of wet. There was a good bit of bog around the toll booth thing but stacks of grip where it matters further down.
There’s a few trees down on the final run in to the pub as of last week too, I’d urge caution if you get a thirst on like I do
Thanks Sane