Buxton Trails

djslow

Likes Bikes
Is it worth the drive - Yes.

Technical? Lake Mountain has some technical rocky sections that take confident bike skills. Buxton has lots and lots of corners and from that point of view requires some technique but is not generally difficult. There are a couple of creek crossings on narrow bridges and a couple of log jumps that have B lines but all are reasonably easy to negotiate.

Lake Mountain is an alpine area so the weather is an important factor.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Lake mountain is Technical but not that difficult.

Both locations are definitely worth the drive and personally i like the drive almost as much as the ride :p

Geek

Squid
Lake Mountain is good

I rode Lake Mountain with some mates back in Feb and it was great. Nicely thought out trails that make good use of the natural granite in the area, and with pretty good flow (I thought, anyway). OK for all skill levels, too. Definitely worth the drive.

Haven't hit Buxton yet, but I do plan to.

Last edited:

fergo

Likes Dirt
I rode Buxton on the weekend and it was great. It was so good I'm going back in two weeks. Cant wait for the Buxton 6 hour race to be announced and I'd be one of the first to sign up!

Speaking of sign up - record your visit in the book at the carpark to justify the tracks existance. Keep it going for everyone!!!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had a visit to Buxton and Lake Mountain on Easter Saturday. Buxton was great, and would suit a six hour event perfectly. We did the full outer loop and then went back and did the berms down the gully again. Great fun.

My only gripe is that the new track extensions are essentially just bumpy 6' wide bulldozer paths. No hand built stuff on the new parts from what I can see.

edit. we did sign the book as well.

rdurrell

Likes Bikes
Buxton video

Adaib, glad you had a squiz at my website. There's a video of the trail on there as well at

http://www.bancoora.au.com/Buxton%20Rides/Buxton_Track_Video.htm

which will give you an idea of what its like. I reckon Buxton is quite a good track as it caters to quite a range of abilities. Its one of those tracks where intermediate riders can readily ride it by just restricting their speed a bit whereas a really experienced rider could go nuts. I love the fern glade section and the lower section which traverses the lower valley.

In terms of the comments on the new tracks, I read an interview with a trail maker recently (may have been Glen Jacobs but not sure) where they do bulldoze a trail. What then happens is the riders ride the track and the flow of the track is gradually defined as the bush grows back with the riders keeping the growth down on the line of flow. This flow line can then be modified over time along the flow lines. It may be interesting to note the trails heading up the hill were like this not so long ago and now are effectively singletrack.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it... And the Lake Mountain Granite Grind is good as well...

sukebe

Likes Dirt
I took a mate to Buxton/Lake Mt over Easter. He doesn't really mtb much, he loved Buxton but struggled on the Granite Grind (he quit at the road crossing and rode back on the bitumen). Buxton can be taken at any pace (some great sections where you can just punch it as hard as possible), but Lake Mt needs a bit of technical skill. I didnt really think Lake Mt was so techy until I took a near-beginner onto it. Definitely need to be an intermediate to really enjoy it.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In terms of the comments on the new tracks, I read an interview with a trail maker recently (may have been Glen Jacobs but not sure) where they do bulldoze a trail. What then happens is the riders ride the track and the flow of the track is gradually defined as the bush grows back with the riders keeping the growth down on the line of flow. This flow line can then be modified over time along the flow lines. It may be interesting to note the trails heading up the hill were like this not so long ago and now are effectively singletrack.
Good point. Makes sense. Just lacks soul, that's all.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I might have to check it out sometime then.
Judging from the video, it would be a good race track. A good spot for the VSS, not to techy, yet if you can ride, you'll have an advantage.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might have to check it out sometime then.
Judging from the video, it would be a good race track. A good spot for the VSS, not to techy, yet if you can ride, you'll have an advantage.
Lets not wreck a brilliant location by holding a race somewhere where the organisers won't work to repair the damages after the races...

adaib

Likes Dirt
well if trails are built sustainably, i'm not saying Buxton trails are unsustainable, then they should be able to withstand races and use. Look at Mt Buller for example, Glen Jacobs trail, sustainable trail, cops a battering and holds up fine...

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So your saying that trails won't take any damage whatsoever if a large volume of riders use them in a small period of time?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I rode Buxton on the weekend and it was great. It was so good I'm going back in two weeks. Cant wait for the Buxton 6 hour race to be announced and I'd be one of the first to sign up!

Speaking of sign up - record your visit in the book at the carpark to justify the tracks existance. Keep it going for everyone!!!
dude, whcih day on that weekend? If its the Saturday mind, if I tag along? Saw the video and it looks awesome :)

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
So your saying that trails won't take any damage whatsoever if a large volume of riders use them in a small period of time?
I would suggest that he is saying if a trail is well designed and built the chance of damage will be minimised. Every trail (short of being constructed from concrete) will sustain some damage if you put enough people over it in a short enough time.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I would suggest that he is saying if a trail is well designed and built the chance of damage will be minimised. Every trail (short of being constructed from concrete) will sustain some damage if you put enough people over it in a short enough time.
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Trail damage would be further reduced by spreading the load of the racing around the state as well. If you run every race on one loop, it'll be wrecked, so why not spread it out across the state a bit more.
Your a racer (well you were, haven't seen you around in a while) surely you'd be keen for racing variety? To not only ease the wear on the trails, but also keep the racers interested?