Buxton Trails

OT

Likes Dirt
well if trails are built sustainably, i'm not saying Buxton trails are unsustainable, then they should be able to withstand races and use. Look at Mt Buller for example, Glen Jacobs trail, sustainable trail, cops a battering and holds up fine...
The world trail builders told me that cornhill at buller was a mess after one of the races run in wet conditions . They had to do a lot of work to fix it up. One benefit though is that they made the descent a lot better, similar to stonefly, while fixing up the trail. I'm not sure you can make a completely sustainable trail. Maintenance is always going to be needed.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
you don't want to race at Buxton - there are mean drop bears, with chainsaws, and a taste for lycra-clad human and exotic metals, resins, and fibres... *vrrrrrrmVrrrm.. chkrAshAAAARRRRGGGGGHnomnomnomnom...* I've seen the gruesome leftovers and bootied quite a few flash parts for my bike in the process... its the only way I ever get upgrades.

ride in small groups, ride FAST!

adaib

Likes Dirt
The world trail builders told me that cornhill at buller was a mess after one of the races run in wet conditions . They had to do a lot of work to fix it up. One benefit though is that they made the descent a lot better, similar to stonefly, while fixing up the trail. I'm not sure you can make a completely sustainable trail. Maintenance is always going to be needed.
No trail can be 110% sustainable. But if all trails were built to be as sustainable as possible, and then the races were spread out across them rather than racing the same loop at the same place every single time, then the overall wear to your local trail would be minimized.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No trail can be 110% sustainable. But if all trails were built to be as sustainable as possible, and then the races were spread out across them rather than racing the same loop at the same place every single time, then the overall wear to your local trail would be minimized.
No, You'd just end up trashing the whole place + all the other track in the state.

Most 'Race Tracks' are built on private property, not really with sustainability in mind, look at what happens after a race, the place gets trashed.

Sure, I'm a racer, and I love having races in more and more exciting places every year, but there is a line, and a type of trail, that should be enjoyed, and doesn't actually need racers pinning along it.

Think of Stonefly? As Jacobs told me, the place was built to enjoy trailriding on, he told me he would never like to see a race held on it again.
I feel Buxton is the same.

Or we could actually make the State series in Summer, and we wouldn't have as big of a problem!

adz

Likes Dirt
The trails are great for a race at Buxton...

If

You are happy to park your car in the bush

and shit and piss in the bush.

Sustainabiltiy is about more than the trails...

fergo

Likes Dirt
The trails are great for a race at Buxton...

If

You are happy to park your car in the bush

and shit and piss in the bush.

Sustainabiltiy is about more than the trails...
There is also a massive carpark over the road - just have to ask the farmer for his paddock or before the river crossing 500m before the carpark would also work.

Haven't you heard of port-a-loos? Actually, a crap in the bush would be preferable over a port-a-loo anyday!!!

OT

Likes Dirt
Why should all trails be built to a standard that is sustainable under race conditions? Buxton is far enough away from Melbourne that it normally won't see that much traffic.

Your example of Buller as a sustainable trail is a good one. The trails at Buller are some of the best xc trails i've ridden but they come at a cost. World trail charges $20,000 a km. Most volunteer trail builders don't have the time, machinery or expertise to replicate what world trail do. A lot still produce fun trails to ride that hold up fine to normal levels of traffic.

adaib

Likes Dirt
No, You'd just end up trashing the whole place + all the other track in the state.

Think of Stonefly? As Jacobs told me, the place was built to enjoy trailriding on, he told me he would never like to see a race held on it again.
I feel Buxton is the same.
Perhaps Buxton isn't the place for a race, i don't know, I've never been there remember...

I'm just saying that if more trails were built to withstand race use then, sure just as much damage would be done to the trails overall, but everyone's local trail will have had less impact.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
No Place To Race!

Buxton is not the place to hold an event. Great trails and just the right length for a lap at an enduro, BUT as someone else stated, there's more to an event than just the track. The idea of asking the local farmer for use of his paddock is possible, bringing in portable shiters OK, but can someone tell me, where the heck would you set up transition? There is no room for a timers tent let alone hundreds of riders.
This is just my opinion though.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
I rode at Buxton yesterday and had a BLAST! The trails are easy but..... they are fast :)
Would highly recomend the effort of driving out there for a ride. And please make sure if you do ride there to sign the Login book to help keep these trails alive.

Here is a video of some of the funnest parts of Buxton, It was taken on my GoPro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPX3arH9zkA

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
Rode Buxton again today (eventhough I had a cold I couldnt waste the weather!).

Once again I had a blast but it is soooo bloody slippery, I have no experience riding on clay type conditions, so I am not sure if its my tires or my skill level but damn it was slippery.

That place will remain a dry riding place for me from now on :p

velocidad

Likes Dirt
dry riding place - 100% agreed. Still, it must of got a decent drenching when Monday nights front came through as it was great riding last Sunday.

p.s. your not running crossmarks @40psi are you ? :p

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
p.s. your not running crossmarks @40psi are you ? :p
I was riding with Kenda Nevagal's at about 35 psi? I dont know the psi cause I have no psi measuring thingo on my pump, I just squeeze the tyre with my hand, it felt soft enough for the mud.

I bought some Ignitor's today so I will try them out soon :p

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I was riding with Kenda Nevagal's at about 35 psi?
haha - I was just about to post about riding @ buxton last monday with 2.35 nevegals at about 30 psi - they stuck OK, had a couple of 'crap I'm off - ah no, still rubber side down' moments :) Definitely plenty of evidence of riders failing to navigate corners...

the trails up this way do indeed get slick in winter - mmm glorious slimy clay! interesting though, all through last winter buxton was in really good shape. Must be a lot more traffic this year...