Buxton Trails

ducka

Banned
dickheads

I can't believe that dickheads like some of the recent posters in this thread persist in riding trails when they are wet just because they see themselves as a 'mountain biker'!. WTF!!! You are not mountain bikers - you are simply wankers that stuff great trails by riding them in the winter months and rutting the shit out of them so no one can enjoy them in the warmer months when they are supposed to be ridden. If all people who ride mountain bikes acknowledge that it is a seasonal activity and stayed the f**k off single track when it was soft and wet then it would be so much more fun in the summer/autumn months. For gods sake buy a pair of sneakers and take up running during the wet months to maintain your fitness then bust out the mountain bike when things dry out. Bunch of flogs.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
I can't believe that dickheads like some of the recent posters in this thread persist in riding trails when they are wet just because they see themselves as a 'mountain biker'!. WTF!!! You are not mountain bikers - you are simply wankers that stuff great trails by riding them in the winter months and rutting the shit out of them so no one can enjoy them in the warmer months when they are supposed to be ridden. If all people who ride mountain bikes acknowledge that it is a seasonal activity and stayed the f**k off single track when it was soft and wet then it would be so much more fun in the summer/autumn months. For gods sake buy a pair of sneakers and take up running during the wet months to maintain your fitness then bust out the mountain bike when things dry out. Bunch of flogs.
Allthough I do agree that buxton should remain un touched when there are heavy rains, I do not agree with your agression, also riding in the wet is fine if you do it correctly, You're not going to get your point taken as seriuosly when you are raging at everybody.

People in the u.k probably ride wet trails 50 percent of the time..

At the end of the day some ignorant people will ride the trails no matter what condition they are in.

Last edited:

adz

Likes Dirt
I went riding on a wet trail one time. And ducka (who is incredibly bold launching aggression missiles from behind his anonymous name) can probably finish the story for me. Armeggedon rained down from the sky! The world became a disaster zone and humanity was no more! Ducka u have a great point about riding in the wet. A point that 99% of mountain bikers already know. Chill out bro :)

MrsH

Likes Dirt
"Like trying to drive soap around the bathtub" is how one of the rally drivers desribed Buxton in the wet.. The MTB trails are much the same! The weather out here was superb today, suspect the trails over there would've dried out a bit..

martinpb

Likes Dirt
Took a spin up at Buxton yesterday and got soaked (the rain came though a lot earlier than forecast...)

the benched tracks are in good condition with reletively little in the way of mud or puddles, but the extention of the outer loop track beyond the junction with tracks 4+5 was a bit of a mess with lots of extended mud bogs

redbruce

Eats Squid
People in the u.k probably ride wet trails 50 percent of the time.
Different soils and their trails are designed with this in mind so not directly analogous to here at present.

Buxton clay tends to go greasy before going sloshy. Lysty tends to go sloshy straight off (perched water table and high organic content in much of the soil doesnt help) and Youies being a sandy clay loam holds up well in the wet, but is easily eroded in a torrential downpour.

martinpb

Likes Dirt
Different soils and their trails are designed with this in mind so not directly analogous to here at present.

Buxton clay tends to go greasy before going sloshy. .
yep! but the UK has got the population to support the number of parks they have. Also, large portions of the bridleway network are old roads, with the atendant amount of construction they would have taken

The older loop at Buxton and the climb up the ridge was all in good nick, just the flatter area i'd suggest avoiding for the time being

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
I Have not ridden Buxton since July but I assume it will be rideable, perhaps a little muddy ( and the soil out there make for a very "greasy" riding surface when it's wet). I don't think Lake mountain would be very rideable atm, I would think they have not even started to clear the trails again, given it's such a windy place and they have had snow up there I would assume the trails would have stacks of debree all over them, Maybe a local club member could clear that up for us though?

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Anybody been out to Buxton / Lake mountain lately ? Trails ok to ride ?
It should be OK provided you stick to the older loop at Buxton (which is the best one anyway). The new stuff might be OK too, but it doesn't drain as well.

Last edited: