Buy before or after?

cowma

Likes Bikes
Hi, I am moving to Mt Is a in a couple of months and am thinking of taking up bmx racing. I haven't ridden one in almost 20 years so it will be interesting.
I normally ride downhill and also have a hard tail but there doesn't seem to be much of that riding there from what I have learnt so far. The bmx track has recently been upgraded so there are bound to be a few people involved in bmx there.
I have been looking at the bmx cruisers but was wondering if it is worth buying one now blind so to speak or wait until I get there and maybe get to try a couple of different ones around the track. I bought both my downhill and hardtail bikes without test riding and got used to them no problem. If I got one before moving, it would make me take it up and there isn't a proper bike shop there.
I was thinking along the lines of the Redline Pro line Pro 24 or similar as from all accounts they seem like a good buy or is that too good a bike to get first up? I am 32 around 178cm and 74kg if that makes any difference.
Any information or suggestions on this or the Island bmx club are appreciated

driftking

Wheel size expert
I don't think it is going to matter when you buy the main issue is how you buy, you want to get fitted to the bike properly. If you have enough knowledge on what you need from the bike find a good dealer and go see them or get a experience person to come along with you to get what you need.
Personally if you are able to test a few and speak to people involved in bmx when you get there I would wait and talk to the people who know and test a few.

Also don't worry about "too good a bike", It won't hold you back and if you have the money or want to treat yourself to a nice bike then go ahead.

Brighty_Daytona

Likes Bikes
Ill send you another PM mate, I raced BMX in Isa for 12+ years, and am still in contact with a few of the Club members.

The BMX scene for us 30+ yr olds is not great, a few dads race from time to time but thats about it. I wanted to come back to racing when I was there but I didnt want to race against 15 yr olds. The track is nice though, they have pumped alot of dollars into it.

cowma

Likes Bikes
Still been looking at the Redline Proline Pro 24 but also been trying to compare it the Felt Sector 24, GT Pro Series Pro 24, and Haro Pro 24. They are all similar prices with similar components (as far as I can tell), geometry etc. If anyone has feedback on any of these I would like to hear it or any other suggestions.
I haven't really looked at 20" bikes yet but once again any suggestions are appreciated

cowma

Likes Bikes
After googling for the last couple of days, I ended up going for the Redline Pro line Pro 24. Swap the grips for some Oury lock ons like my other bikes and probably the pedals too, depending on what the stock ones are like. Should be good and looking forward to getting into racing soon

cowma

Likes Bikes
My new bike, 2013 Redline Proline Pro 24 arrived yesterday afternoon, built it up and had a ride around. I like the colourscheme of it, black with just small traces of red. Seems to be pretty good, feels different to mtb obviously but should get used to it soon enough. I have posted it in the "post up your bmx" thread