Buyer Beware, scammers abound.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
He lives in Robina on the gold coast.
Its Mitchy! :faint2:
hah. do i look like a fuckwit on a yeti to you?

that said, if you can get a Gold Coast address i'm happy to try help...

Where the bank account is just tells you he once lived there - lots of people would never transfer their accounts when they move, so it's not set in stone that he's from the Gold Coast .

Try and gleen some info from the police, you simply want some contact details etc, but keep on top of the police to make use it's followed up
yep. i have WA bank accounts yet live in QLD, they were simply setup there years ago.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd be calling that real estate and asking the receptionist about Richard Kirkbeck, call it a character reference check as you are planning to invest in property and want to make sure the guy you're dealing isn't a kook.

Minlak

custom titis
You have his bank details you need good id to open accounts the police will get access to his driver licence etc if he managed to set up a fake account he is about to get some serious attention.

Benlow

Likes Bikes
I'd be calling that real estate and asking the receptionist about Richard Kirkbeck, call it a character reference check as you are planning to invest in property and want to make sure the guy you're dealing isn't a kook.
Called Paradise realty, whose website had one of his old listings, they had no idea who he was.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2804818

I proceeded to ring First National Southport based on information on the above link, they confirmed he had worked there but not since December last year. I asked the lady where he'd gone and she seemed to think he'd retired. Judging by his Facebook and Youtube accounts he certainly doesn't seem old enough to retire?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Called Paradise realty, whose website had one of his old listings, they had no idea who he was.

I proceeded to ring First National Southport based on information on the above link, they confirmed he had worked there but not since December last year. I asked the lady where he'd gone and she seemed to think he'd retired. Judging by his Facebook and Youtube accounts he certainly doesn't seem old enough to retire?
perhaps send a quick text/phone call from another number to the mobile you have asking if it is "Richard Kirkbeck the real estate agent" and see where that gets you...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

That Facebook account - hospital with back problems from what I can gather. Retired might be rhyming slang for fired.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Remind me not to upset the detectives on RB :D

Today there is no hiding with all the crap online.

Go for the jugular!

Benlow

Likes Bikes
Managed to make contact with him using a different mobile number, (well the real estate guy whose Facebook and Youtube accounts have been located). He confirmed that he doesn't work in real estate anymore and referred me to his father who works at Mermaid Beach Ray White. Think I might drop by early next week and see what he has to say...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes I'd have serious doubts that a estate agent with quite a public profile would try this on.
More like the scammer ripped off the name too.

Benlow

Likes Bikes
Yes I'd have serious doubts that a estate agent with quite a public profile would try this on.
More like the scammer ripped off the name too.
More than likely, but then its not supposed to be particularly easy to create a bank account under someone else's name? :noidea:

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
True, I guess with mobiles and unlisted numbers it's difficult to search how many people with the same name are listed. Once upon a time you could just pick up the White Pages.

Benlow

Likes Bikes
Ok, so a lot has come to light in the last 20 minutes. (prepare for a mouthful)

I got in contact with the Father, who confirmed that the bank details were in fact his sons, and that he had received an amount totalling what I had transferred (with the correct description). Spoke to Richard and it turns out that another guy (we'll call him dickwad) pretended he was Richard when dealing with me so that I could pay for his purchase of the PS4 and associated items that Richard had for sale on Gum Tree. He then told Richard that I had asked dickwad to pick up the PS4. Unfortunately Richard didn't get Dickwads rego and only has a brief description of what he looks like, so a dead end there. Dickwad also used the same number when communicating with both Richard and I, so that phone is definitely trashed now.

This leaves me with a problem, the bank can recover the money but it'll screw Richard, if they don't well I get screwed.
Anyway, massive thanks to all the members here, even though I'm not sure what will happen with the money I feel a lot better knowing what really happened. Wouldn't of gotten to the bottom of it without you! :grouphug:

Last edited: