Buying a canyon. Hidden fees

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello everyone. Looking at purchasing a canyon stitched 360. According to the site postsge and gst are included in the price already however im just wondering if i will get stung with any import, custom fees ect. Anyone bought off canyon recentpy able to let me know what to expect?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Nope. All fees are paid upfront. $200 shipping on top of the bike cost and that's it. You DO NOT get stung further at customs.

mtb1611

Seymour
What you see is what you get and the price indicated is what you pay; great service in my experience too.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Excuse my ignorance , dont know much about them , the duallies look pretty interesting ... Are they good bikes ?

uberusername

Likes Bikes
Hello everyone. Looking at purchasing a canyon stitched 360. According to the site postsge and gst are included in the price already however im just wondering if i will get stung with any import, custom fees ect. Anyone bought off canyon recentpy able to let me know what to expect?
I've got beef.

You get charged in AUD, from Canyon Australia, but they process the transaction in Germany. I got stung with a 3% transaction fee on a $6,500 bike. Pissed.

Also why is postage not included (i.e. up the price $200) in the price for people on the Australian website? As if we are going to travel 15,000kms to pick the thing up.

I think their website is misleading and deceptive. Went through a dispute process with them and said they should include postage in their pricing and process the transactions in Australia so we aren't subsidising their international tax avoidance and they told me they would not and offered a flexfit cap to make me feel better.

Pricks.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Also why is postage not included (i.e. up the price $200) in the price for people on the Australian website? As if we are going to travel 15,000kms to pick the thing up.

I think their website is misleading and deceptive. Went through a dispute process with them and said they should include postage in their pricing

Pricks.
So I assume you expect that for EVERY overseas transaction? Why should bikes be any different? Not sure what's misleading when directly under the price of the bike it states + Packaging & Shipping (price incl. GST) and gives a direct link to the shipping process and costs.

uberusername

Likes Bikes
So I assume you expect that for EVERY overseas transaction? Why should bikes be any different? Not sure what's misleading when directly under the price of the bike it states + Packaging & Shipping (price incl. GST) and gives a direct link to the shipping process and costs.
When buying from Canyon Australia, and being charged in AUD, what is there to say thay that it is an international transaction? Nothing. It puports to be a transaction within Australia, when it is not.

BT180

Max Pfaff
When buying from Canyon Australia, and being charged in AUD, what is there to say thay that it is an international transaction? Nothing. It puports to be a transaction within Australia, when it is not.
I'm not talking about the fees for the credit card transaction. Maybe that could be more clearly defined, I can't remember as it was 1.5yrs ago when I purchased mine. I was talking about the alleged 'hidden' shipping fees and the fact that it's pretty standard for companies to add shipping charges on top of the purchase and not include them within the purchase price.

uberusername

Likes Bikes
I'm not talking about the fees for the credit card transaction. Maybe that could be more clearly defined, I can't remember as it was 1.5yrs ago when I purchased mine. I was talking about the alleged 'hidden' shipping fees and the fact that it's pretty standard for companies to add shipping charges on top of the purchase and not include them within the purchase price.
Never said it was hidden, I said their website is misleading. The cost should be included in the price of the bike. Up the cost by $199. They say it's not included because they offer pickup. You've just got to travel 16,000kms to pick it up. Seems reasonable.

Additionally, they claimed that $199 is half the actual cost. So they're already absorbing half of the cost in the pricing, why not absorb all of it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Seriously?

If you're going to blow thousands on a bike that you know is being shipped to you, surely you do your research before pulling the trigger.

I considered a Canyon when I bought my new bike recently and the information was pretty easy to find.

uberusername

Likes Bikes
Seriously?

If you're going to blow thousands on a bike that you know is being shipped to you, surely you do your research before pulling the trigger.

I considered a Canyon when I bought my new bike recently and the information was pretty easy to find.
Capture.JPG

Yep seriously. This is from https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/strive/

Advertised price: $7,899

Actual price with postage $8,098

And if you get hit with an international transaction fee: $8,340.98

So the page https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/strive/ is misleading AF!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the problem. What 'international transaction fee'?

What do you think of this Kona? No mention of postage until you go to checkout, and no mention of import duty which you have to pay in the case of this bike, but not in case of Canyon.

This is standard stuff when buying from overseas companies.

Attachments

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Include postage in the end price.....

And how are they supposed to know where you live when you're just browsing? You realise the postage costs to Australia are going to be different than posting to England, etc., right?

uberusername

Likes Bikes

What do you think of this Kona? No mention of postage until you go to checkout, and no mention of import duty which you have to pay in the case of this bike, but not in case of Canyon.

Include postage in the end price.....

And how are they supposed to know where you live when you're just browsing? You realise the postage costs to Australia are going to be different than posting to England, etc., right?

Lol. You're buying from www.canyon.com/en-au/

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If the credit card transaction is not processed at an Australian Financial Institution you can get changed an international transaction fee, even if the transaction is in $AUS

BankWest or 28 degrees credit cards don't have these transaction fees