SPOON

Likes Dirt
matty_2004 said:
mugen833 said:
matty_2004 said:
spuddy said:
mugen833 said:
plus a nice tip
This is rice :) 4" yeah? Siik! Had a car in at work today with dual 3"s :roll: :roll:
Fully. . .You're still forgetting the subs, neons and blow off valve - this shit makes it go faster too eh?
Yea ok perhaps mentioning the tip makes it a alittle rice. But yea the sound is nice, and na not 4" tip. 3" does fine, dont like it too loud.

Back on topic - i'd get a commodore wagon or a subaru outback wagon.
Gzz get over it man, it's just an exhaust tip. You dont have to like it but you dont need to winge on about it either.

matty_2004

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, i'm just kidding with the whole small Japanese import cars theme - fully sick Too Fasta Too Furious !

Just joking man - no hard feelings.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
matty_2004 said:
Mate, i'm just kidding with the whole small Japanese import cars theme - fully sick Too Fasta Too Furious !

Just joking man - no hard feelings.
Yea it's alright, it's cool.

Grix

Likes Dirt
It all depends on what you want the car to do?? IMO i wouldnt go for anything to "fully sick" or something that is going to attract the Police.

As soon as the police see 'P' plates on any hotted up car they will pull you over 99.9% of the time and hassle you, and try and find something to give you a ticket over. Ive been in that position before and have gotten over owning a cop magnet.

Good Luck

cheese

Likes Dirt
Fucking Fast And Furious, that stupid movie has brought down a whole barrage of stereotypes to car modders. Im scared to admit im a modded car enthusiast outside of Hot 4's forums :cry:

If your gonna go for a swift look around a bit and get the GTi, much more fun. Im not sure on getting a Civic for $4 G they are usualy quite expensive and hold their value well?

I was saving for a car till I decided, "fuck it, im getting a nice bike" :wink:

Good luck on ya P's, my test is coming up in a few weeks too. :D

G

why dont you just get a proper exhaust system improving performance and sound rather than looking like a poser in a all show no go piece of jap?

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Adin!

You might also be able to find hilux utes that might fit your price range. PArts are easy to get a hold of and are reasonable to fix. PLus the're great for carrying bikes and doing shuttle runs.

ME? I drive a 1996 Fairlane, so i'm not doing shuttle runs. Luxury baby!

Dan

scblack

Leucocholic
for your first car, and at the $4k price range, stick with something pretty basic, as you'll be spending a fair bit just keeping it running due to repairs that'll be needed

the Sierra is pretty reliable, and will get you anywhere

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to get a Sierra then go for it, they are pretty cheap. This bit is really important though, Sierra drivetrains are designed for Sierra power, i.e. not much. If the engine has been modded STAY AWAY. souped up Sierras crap their gearbox, clutch etc all the time.

For that kind of money I recommend something like a Pulsar. I had a 1990 Pulser that I sold for $6k 5 years ago, so you'd get one for $4k easy now. Go the 1.8 Fuel injected. They go really well, are cheap to repair and fit bikes easy. Plus if you want to chuck on a pipe they sound great with a $250 Cat back 2" on 'em. The headers are already stainless steel so don't bother replacing them.

Stay away from Civics, parts are too pricey. For example the starter motor is the same one as in the CRX, $700 to replace. OUCH!

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
Haha i have a Sierra (Re-badged as Holden Drover) long-wheelbase trayback. Maybe not the most practical thing for around citys, but for throwin the bike in the back and going out to the trails its sweet. (and can get into trails that a landcruiser or patrol would have trouble squeezing through :D )
You can do smaller mods like Extractors, Weber carb. and 2 1/2 in.exhaust etc, but nothing major like these mini yank tank zukes with V8's etc - hardly anything original in those beasts for reason mentioned in the above post.
Having spent all my money on my bike - and not having rich parents to sponge off (or a sickmate poser mindset), i was quite happy with this <$1000 investment, currently running sunraysia 4wd rims and G.Y car tyres, :lol:

Shintaro

Likes Dirt
1st car I owned was a 1978 Datsun 120y sedan, nice fun rear wheel drive manual, 1.2 ltr engine. I think I payed about $1,500 with 12 months rego, and this was about 8 years ago. I kept it registered for about 2 years, and decided it was to much effort to maintain so sent it to the wreckers.

Next I had a 1981 Ford Laser. Great little run about car, but it was a write off thanx to a big 4WD ramming me off the road (seriously).

Next I had a 1985 NISSAN GAZELLE. This has been one of my favorite cars to date. I payed $800 for it as it was just out of rego and need a fuel injector replaced. This is an awsome machine, 2LTR motor rear wheel drive, 2 door, pop-up headlights, electric windows cruise control. Unfortunately I crashed this on Victoria Rd when I was cut of by a 200SX with blacked out windows.

Next I found the deal of the centry, a smick 1973 TC Cortina Wagon for $400, 2 months rego. This thin is huge and awsome. 4.1LT 6 cylender motor delivers so much power. Anyway, this car is currently at a pannel shop as I am investigating fixing the rust and touching up the paint. FYI I know the guy doing it and if I help with the prep work, it will probably be pretty cheap.

So my current vehicle is a SUZUKI VITARA 4-DOOR ESTATE WAGON. Great 4WD, 1.6lt engine manual. I only payed $5, 800 for it, but did not get it serviced for straight away and the engine & gearbox died (timing belt came off and screwed the camshaft??!). So I had to spend $3.5K on getting a new gearbox and engine put in.

I often see a Suzuki Sierra and wish I had spent half the dosh on a clean one. But all that aside, teh Vitara is great on and off road.

If for example you decide you want a Sierra, test drive atleast 2 different vehicles to compare performance. Also, if your budget is $4K, maybe only spend a maximum of $3K, to allow for extra costs.

Try this website for pricing of second hand cars, although not entirely accurate, it is a good guide - www.redbook.com.au

Another option is to buy something cheap and practical with rego now, and just take your time to find the right car for the right price. You can always sell the car again later, or in some cases just wreck it and get into your new car!!

bb7 rider

Cyclone Imports
If you want the 4wd go for it but you can get a good reliable ute for about 4g and they will hold bikes easier and be better on the road, i would only get the 4wd if you wanna go 4wd bashing. Plus as for 3' tips and all that dont bother who really cares about that unless u got an engine to show off. Make your own exhaust if u really want to look like you have a done up car, i did 2.5inches off the turbo flange into 3 inches dumped out b4 the diff, you dont even see it and it cost about $80 bucks.

Larks

Squid
I think a subaru sports wagon would be good. Any station wagon in that price range. Utes are good but station wagons are warmer to sleep in.

Any old ute would be a good alternative. For $4000 you would just want something that will be semi reliable. The great thing about old fold/holden utes is that you can fix them yourself.

I actually think, despite some other peoples advice, that a corolla would be a very good decision. The older corollas are RWD, can be quite fun to drive and will run forever. You can get the wagon version and fit a bike or two in the back.

Byatch

Banned
good call about not spending all $4000 on the car itself. unless you buy off family or get REALLY lucky, it's gona need some work.

in general, older toyota engines proove to be reliable. may not rev like a honda, but at the age of car you are looking at, high reving engines have probably had a hard life.

whatever you do test drive, take it to a mechanicfor a look over, especially for a compression check. that will tell you a lot about the engine.

good luck

ps: blow off valves allow excess pressure built up as revs drop faster than impeller speed to be vented before damage is done to the impeller, so they technically have a very real need. buying "supersonic" blowoff valves is, however, unnessecery

floody

Wheel size expert
$3k would buy you a nice R31 Nissan skyline in the 1987-1990 model ranges, sedan or wagon. The wagons are great for bikes, sedans are only good if you a) have dual quick release wheels or b) have an external rack.
They are reliable, reasonable on fuel, cheap for parts, reasonably powerful, and nicely built.
Mine cost me $3625 2 years ago , its a manual 1990 sedan that was quite tidy , and its been absolutely trouble free in that time.
Another plus of the six cylinder skylines is that they eat up the miles on the highway, not like some 4 cylinder small car or a low geared 4wd....

The only problem the skylines have is diffs have a habit of being either whiny around 80-90kmh , and clunky when they're worn, but a diff freshen up shouldn't cost more than a few hundred and will sort it out mostly.

Summary - get a nice tidy R31 Skyline wagon, they're boxy but they're good! Get a manual if you can, they are a nicer drive, but the auto isn't bad either, since its got a nice torquey 3 litre six cylinder engine.

cheese

Likes Dirt
SUZUKI VITARA 4-DOOR ESTATE WAGON. Great 4WD
When I was overseas with the family we rented a Vitara, it was shocking, the passenger seat broke in half :shock: but mabey that was just a lemon.

SPOON

Likes Dirt
Fuzzy said:
why dont you just get a proper exhaust system improving performance and sound rather than looking like a poser in a all show no go piece of jap?
mugen833 said:
Could get you a decent header size and setup
That is a proper exhaust system, changing to 2.5" headers for a small NA engine (like a 1.8L engine) or even smaller for say a 1.3L NA engine, a bit larger for turbo engines ( 3 to 4" headers depending on car) will all performance gain. Header setup....e.g. 4to1 or 4to2to1 etc etc can also performance gain but needs to be suited to the engine blah blah... just thought i'd add that tips aren't all rice mind you, catback's enable more airflow.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
www.carpoint.com.au

simply click that link and away we go! it shows quite a lot of used cars for sale and some basic spec of them such as:modifications undergone by previous owner, the distance the car has run(duh!) and all those other stuff.

For a First car, I wouldn't be expecting too much. If you were looking at taking ur bike/bikes with you then a Hilux ute wouldn't be too bad.
Yes i agree with cam-o, civics may look pussy ass cheap but they prove expensive when it comes to replacing old parts etc.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mugen833 said:
That is a proper exhaust system, changing to 2.5" headers for a small engine, or perhaps a bit larger for turbo engines ( 3 to 4" headers depending on car) will all performance gain. Header setup....e.g. 4 to 1 or 4 to 2 to 1 etc etc can also performance gain but needs to be suited to the engine blah blah... just thought i'd add tips aren't all rice too mind you, catback's enable more airflow.
Just keep in mind that no Back pressure means loss of power, and having that fully sick 10inches per head is gonna do just that! ( a little exaggeration never hurt anyone ) I would think 2.5" headers are not nessesary, and no point on mentioning about a 4" for a turboed motor. Not like many a rider here is gonna go Blast their Skyline's RB30DETT with fkn 9999999PSI!!! ;)

crozza

Likes Dirt
i have a subaru liberty wagon 1990 $6000 146,000kms its awsome i recomend it strongly.
just look around on racv, drive and the age web sites and do some research. i would stay around the 2ltr mark because most of your money will go into fuel as well as running it. go for a wagon because you can throw just about anything in the back and it doubles as a bed :wink: