Buying a hardtail 29er

I'm looking to buy a hardtail 29er. Mostly I ride xc socially with loads of single track, serious climbing, technical downhills blah blah blah. No racing.

Current bike is an old Kona Blast, circa 2002. I removed the Rock Shox years ago and replaced with a stock hard fork. So I'm used to a pretty rough ride, but I think (I know) I'm over it! I reckon the worst thing is the v-brakes. The crapiness really starts to kill me towards the end of the ride and I start screaming for the beer.

So yeah, time for a new bike. Recently, I road a friend's full suspension Santa Cruz 29er. Absolutely loved the 29s but definitely don't want full suspension. Just didn't seem like off-road riding to me!

Am happy with new or 2nd hand. Building from scratch is an option but would prefer something complete to save time. Price range is wide: $1500-$2500.

I will post in the wanted to buy section when I get newbie access. For the moment I figure it's worth seeing if anyone has any suggestions. The main hint I've had so far is to stay away from press frame bottom brackets. Any thoughts on that? I'm open to frame material. Have never ridden carbon though, so not too sure about that.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where are you located mate? I've got a pal in Newcastle selling a 2012 Merida Big 9 3000 carbon hardtail in large for approx $1500. M785 XT brakes, Fulcrum red power wheels, carbon frame, full 2x10 XT, Fox 100mm 15mm fork.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Straight up thought of JTMofos Banshee, would be an awesome 29er hardtail for the riding you described. Jump on it! Fresh build, good build spec. Don't reckon you could pick a more suitable hardtail.

Yep, absolutely. Probably the only thing holding me back was that up until today I thought I was a xc bike. Will have to think it over...