Buying a second hand bike from OS

imtheandrew

Likes Dirt
Id like to hear peoples experiences from buying a second hand bike from overseas. good or bad? how much did postage cost? wheres a good place to look? ect.... any info would be appreciated. cheers.

bazza

look at me
bad. very bad. why are you buying OS? you can usually find good deals locally. just keep an eye out. that way you can always track the seller down. if hes OS you have no chance. and you might end up with a mentally raped frame or a cracked one or nothing at all! buy locally i say.

scblack

Leucocholic
bazza said:
bad. very bad. why are you buying OS? you can usually find good deals locally. just keep an eye out. that way you can always track the seller down. if hes OS you have no chance. and you might end up with a mentally raped frame or a cracked one or nothing at all! buy locally i say.
Gotta agree with bazza - you have no idea exactly what you are getting, other than possibly pictures, and that can be VERY deceiving.

When you actually look at a bike in the flesh, it can be very different to photos.

zids

Likes Dirt
ive had no experience with buying a ike from os, but why not buy a bike locally......u can get bikes of the same quality, same price and you can often inspect them...photos can be decieving, you could be horribly mistaken and get a cracked frame, or a complete;ly different bikw than what u wanted!

bradh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've done it. but i wouldn't recommend it, unless you're a gambler. postage is hell expensive, but i'd factored that in, and was still getting a good deal. what i didn't factor in was the fact that 2nd hand bikes have used tyres, thus the chance of dirt, thus it was quarantined, which cost me $200+ for the privilege.

imtheandrew

Likes Dirt
well i am looking around for a second hand bike and there were few overseas pretty cheap.. but you guys have put me off.

thanks for the advise.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
Do what i did and save up for a holiday to the USA and then buy a bike whilst you're over there. I found one on ebay and then inspected it myself. Got a complete 03 Santa Cruz v10 for $2300 Aus. California is a great spot to head to.

Dan