Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

safreek

Did I see some one in here recently saying that buying from BikeInn was pretty quick and uncomplicated?
Got some maguras 3 or 4.months ago from them. Pretty sure it was under 2 weeks. Was amazed at the speed. I'd use them again

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
One tyre and one handlebar is nearly $60 and will take over a month, based on Auspost estimates.

Not a chance in hell that I will be doing that.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
One tyre and one handlebar is nearly $60 and will take over a month, based on Auspost estimates.

Not a chance in hell that I will be doing that.
with the floods and the generally shit Auspost sorting bottlenecks, domestic packages can take ages if you don't use express post.
I got some stuff from Bikebug that I think took 3 weeks Syd to Melb going regular parcel post.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bike Components shipping has doubled. Now €39.95 which is around $56. Bummer.
That adds them to BikeDiscount.de, R2 and a few other smaller companies prices.

Only HiBike and Bike24 left down around €20.

You'd wonder how long Bike24 will leave theirs down with Wiggle and CRC hiking theirs ages ago.

€40 for shit postage is crap. Would be worth it for DHL Express.

Saying that, my R2 order just came in an ~80cm square box, it was enormous and 90% full of packing for 2 x DT Swiss EX511 rims in their boxes.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
That adds them to BikeDiscount.de, R2 and a few other smaller companies prices.

Only HiBike and Bike24 left down around €20.

You'd wonder how long Bike24 will leave theirs down with Wiggle and CRC hiking theirs ages ago.

€40 for shit postage is crap. Would be worth it for DHL Express.

Saying that, my R2 order just came in an ~80cm square box, it was enormous and 90% full of packing for 2 x DT Swiss EX511 rims in their boxes.
Agree. The main item I want still works out a lot cheaper but if just grabbing small items it hard to justify the postage cost.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I bought a shock from Germany and have been watching the tracking daily for a week now hoping it would change. I got this email tonight…

At least they picked it up pretty quickly and even better they responded to my request and are sending it express with no extra charge!

ozzybmx

I bought a shock from Germany and have been watching the tracking daily for a week now hoping it would change. I got this email tonight…

At least they picked it up pretty quickly and even better they responded to my request and are sending it express with no extra charge!
Innersole for shoe... hope you got 2 innersoles for shoes.

You ended up better off as express should be here in under a week.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I've had a parcel from Germany sitting at Melbourne with the status 'International Arrival - awaiting clearance' since March 3.

Anyone else had to wait this long at this stage?

ozzybmx

I've had a parcel from Germany sitting at Melbourne with the status 'International Arrival - awaiting clearance' since March 3.

No, max 'awaiting clearance' has never been more than 3 days for me.

Just checked, my latest German package has been sitting in Frankfurt for 4 weeks today. Typical that its got shit for me in there this time.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

My first Carbonda frame did that. AusPost were less than helpful other than accidentally letting slip it'd already gone to a local distribution sort facility and then been lost. I waited the requisite number of days to lodge an enquiry (~2 weeks after the estimated maximum delivery date), only to be told to wait another week+ while they investigated. After a little more than a week it got dropped off. No case response/update/communication whatsoever. Not sure if poeple had been in forced iso or they just sick of tripping over it at the warehouse or someone actually did something with the case I lodged. The only communication I ever got was something along the lines of "You haven't complained anymore, so we're going to close this case now. If we're in the wrong, raise another case and we'll start again. There may be a 10-15day delay while we investigate" (again).

TL;DR - raise a case, see what happens. Don't be afraid to call. I got through quite quickly on two separate calls.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My last HiBike order did that. 2 weeks from memory and it arrived at my workplace door whilst still displaying that message on the tracking.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The only worry I have is I think it was near the $1k cutoff, and perhaps they're waiting for me to pay - but I haven't been contacted by customs.

Guess I'll brave the call centre...

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it worth buying forks from overseas? Prices seem a fair bit cheaper on the higher end stuff but they dont seem to ship to Aus.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I am entertaining the thought of either 38 Elites or Zeb ultimates.
Do you know a guy that knows a guy?
Not sure if @kten knows a guy but you will only be able to buy those locally due geo-blocks unless you look at freight forwarders but then the costs can add up quick.