Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The frame made it Australia a few weeks ago and Auspost sent it back to Finland as they deemed the box was too big. This time it's coming DHL express avoiding Auspost entirely. Only downside to this is that Ill likely get hit with import tax and GST.
Back in 2009, the UK importer who got the Nicolai for me, contacted me about the shipping.
Let's say, luckily the cost of the frame just came under the customs threshold ;) and got sent to me by the fastest - FedEx international expedited, it cost nearly £300 back then with no insurance but I had the frame in my hands 3 days later. In such a rush to deliver, no one had time to look at it.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Just ordered from Bike Discount. I’m in Canada at the moment and there was zero ‘Frankfurt Limbo’. Goods were ordered on 18 October and have landed in Canada on 23 October. Will now see how Canada post goes with getting them to my door…

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Goods were ordered on 18 October and have landed in Canada on 23 October.
expecting the 'Franky Faff' coming here
I picture the German post officer walking into a room and looking at two piles of parcels. One to Canada and one to Australia…
To the left - a lone Canadian man sitting at a desk until the wee hours of the morning, small mound of parcels to his side, hand writing sorry notes to his countrymen, apologising for the 3 day postage that was out of his control due to a pile up in the autobahn.
To the right - a large pile of parcels, and a cheeseburger wrapper on a desk. If you look closely, someone has scrawled on the wrapper in a texta, “BRB, last minute riding trip Les Getz. See if Derek can chuck a few on the plane for me if the pile gets too big. Cheers, Davo”

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I picture the German post officer walking into a room and looking at two piles of parcels. One to Canada and one to Australia…
To the left - a lone Canadian man sitting at a desk until the wee hours of the morning, small mound of parcels to his side, hand writing sorry notes to his countrymen, apologising for the 3 day postage that was out of his control due to a pile up in the autobahn.
To the right - a large pile of parcels, and a cheeseburger wrapper on a desk. If you look closely, someone has scrawled on the wrapper in a texta, “BRB, last minute riding trip Les Getz. See if Derek can chuck a few on the plane for me if the pile gets too big. Cheers, Davo”
Derek does sound like a very Canadian name.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Just ordered from Bike Discount. I’m in Canada at the moment and there was zero ‘Frankfurt Limbo’. Goods were ordered on 18 October and have landed in Canada on 23 October. Will now see how Canada post goes with getting them to my door…
Package arrived this morning. Keep in mind I’m in regional Canada at moment so it took a couple of extra days to get from Toronto to Vancouver then into the mountains. Nine days all up with a weekend in there. Not bad.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Does anyone have experience with freight forwarding from the states? Jenson has some great deals on Santa cruz frames atm but no shipping to aus..

I used MyUS when I bought some half price Specialized 2FO Roost shoes from Specialized US but got stung with packaging weight, and they ended up costing me more than retail... doh!

Make sure you know exactly how much everything will weigh before going ahead!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Make sure you know exactly how much everything will weigh before going ahead!
Or squared. A bike box containing a lightweight frame gets squared and costed on average weight per square foot.
I bought a Niner One9 many years ago, they said the shipping for 7kg was around $50, when they got the box the equivalent weight squared was 35kg and the shipping price was $250-$300.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Does anyone have experience with freight forwarding from the states? Jenson has some great deals on Santa cruz frames atm but no shipping to aus..

I used Bikeflights for my 5010. They did exactly as they said and the shipped was tracked quite well.

The problem was in sending the frame to a 'real' address and not a US post box. The US seller didn't would not ship to a US post box, handily like most of the freight forwarding companies provide a US post box address when you set up an account.

There is a business ready for the taking for some trustworthy US Larry shipping bikes to a home address and onwards to freight forwarding companies.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
What's the average delay thru Frankfurt at the moment?

Ex-VC needs a new 82 bcd chainring in time for the Otways at the end of Feb