Buying bikes from overseas

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Anyone bought a bike online from overseas for (significantly) more than the $1000 threshold for GST exemption? Did you make it under the radar or did you get stung for GST? If so, how did you get charged? Does the courier company get billed and pass it onto you? Or is it more complex than that?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have bought a couple of things, came in fedex and gotheld up by fedex till I paid the import fee (held up, by they gave me a call and i just paid via CC over the phone)... note that both were 2nd had (1 frame and 1 head for an engine).

note; did they drop the import amount recently?

sukebe

Likes Dirt
have bought a couple of things, came in fedex and gotheld up by fedex till I paid the import fee (held up, by they gave me a call and i just paid via CC over the phone)... note that both were 2nd had (1 frame and 1 head for an engine).

note; did they drop the import amount recently?
Cool. What did the import fee consist of? Just 10% gst or other costs too?

The threshold is still $1000 for physical goods AFAIK, i believe it's set to be abolished later this year.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Anyone bought a bike online from overseas for (significantly) more than the $1000 threshold for GST exemption? Did you make it under the radar or did you get stung for GST? If so, how did you get charged? Does the courier company get billed and pass it onto you? Or is it more complex than that?
A long time ago I slipped under the radar with a whole bike. More recently I have been stung for a frame. I've also had parcels held up when customs suspected the invoices were falsified. One online retailer disassembled a frame and shock, sending each individually to avoid duty without me asking them to.

When it all goes down legit the courier will invoice you for the import, gst, and a fee of their own. Once you've paid that they will send the parcel. Don't expect to receive any customer as part of the process.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Bought a Cyclocross bike from PlanetX in 2012-13, It was worth paying the import tax as disc bikes were only appearing here and were at least double the price. Bike was about $1500 IIRC, + approx $200 postage, the tax charged was around $250 all up. The courier contacted me and asked for payment before it was released from customs.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
One online retailer disassembled a frame and shock, sending each individually to avoid duty without me asking them to.
I have thought about this too. I guess you have much more wiggle room overall if you stick in your luggage with a light coating of dust and old tyres on the return trip of a US holiday and call it 'that old thing' vs. an shiny new online retailer.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the responses guys. So for a $3500 bike I should probably budget around $4k. A bike that is on clearance sale here for around $6k. Hmmmm.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have thought about this too. I guess you have much more wiggle room overall if you stick in your luggage with a light coating of dust and old tyres on the return trip of a US holiday and call it 'that old thing' vs. an shiny new online retailer.
If you had a reason for being in the states and collected the item while there, I'm sure much savings could be made. On the way home if anyone bothers to ask just roll with the "I took this bike with me for a riding holiday." I doubt you'd be challenged.

Thanks for the responses guys. So for a $3500 bike I should probably budget around $4k. A bike that is on clearance sale here for around $6k. Hmmmm.
I can't remember the figures for my most recent ordeal, but I was still well and truly ahead by purchasing overseas for the frame cost.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you had a reason for being in the states and collected the item while there, I'm sure much savings could be made. On the way home if anyone bothers to ask just roll with the "I took this bike with me for a riding holiday." I doubt you'd be challenged.
I know a guy that went for a California holiday, bought a Blur, rode it and brought it back. I don't think he got slugged.

I can't remember the figures for my most recent ordeal, but I was still well and truly ahead by purchasing overseas for the frame cost.
It is a fun way to buy bike bits too. I've only even brought little things back from the US but I could have been tempted easily if I saw something too tasty. I guess I ended up in shops with the same range of bikes you have here, albeit with a better pricetag.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno about the US thing - I've been looking for deals on bikes/frames/things around salt lake city to make an imminent trip even better, and most pricing is similar on conversion, or near enough to the same sticker price in Aus, but it's in USD! Def no obvious bargains that I've seen.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool. What did the import fee consist of? Just 10% gst or other costs too?

The threshold is still $1000 for physical goods AFAIK, i believe it's set to be abolished later this year.
You pay 10 gst and 5% duty (and it includes the postage as total value).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You are also hit up for "processing charges" which can also amount to additional hundreds of dollars
So I went digging for the invoice from my last round of this...the fees I was billed for were:
- Import 5%
- GST 10%
- Customs fee $74.00 (no idea how this was determined. Could be a % or set fee)
- Brokers fee $63.something (no idea how this was determined. Could be a % or set fee and probably changes with each "service" provider.)

One story I heard had a nicely pre-planned import.
Found an old bike on the side of the road, packed it in their bike bag and flew to the US.
On arrival, they dumped the junker, picked up their new top of the line ride, rode a few of the local trails, a couple of weeks late packed up the new bike and returned home.
As far as customs were concerned, a bike left the country and a bike returned to the country, no issues.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
So I went digging for the invoice from my last round of this...the fees I was billed for were:
- Import 5%
- GST 10%
- Brokers fee $63.something (no idea how this was determined. Could be a % or set fee and probably changes with each "service" provider.)
Doing some numbers, for a USD$4k spend on a new tasty steed, we would end up somewhere around:
=$4000 x 1.15 + $74 + $63
=$4737 USD

At today's 0.76 exchange rate that gives us AUD$6,173

Not looking too good now but good to see where it all goes.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
- Import 5%
- GST 10%
Legislation for new Overseas GST registered businesses is currently before parliament. Fuck we're a greedy taxing lot, us and the USA are happy to ignore borders in one direction with regards to taxes.

Of note, mailbox redelivery services will be treated as an importer and be subject to 75K AUD gst registration requirements.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-...ct-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

On 16 February 2017, the Government introduced law to Parliament that will amend the law to extend Goods and Services Tax (GST) to low value imports of physical goods imported by consumers from 1 July 2017.

A vendor registration model will be used and suppliers with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more in a twelve month period will be required to register and charge GST.

The existing processes to collect GST on imports above $1,000 at the border are broadly unchanged.

In summary, the reforms:

make supplies of goods valued at $1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are, broadly, purchased by consumers and are brought to Australia with the assistance of the supplier;
treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought to Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator;
treat re-deliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside Australia as part of the supply and the re-deliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of, broadly, a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer;
allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia only because of these amendments to elect to be a limited registration entity and as such access the simplified registration and reporting system; and
prevent double taxation by making importations of goods non-taxable importations if the supply of the goods is a taxable supply only as a result of these amendments and notice is provided in the approved form.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Doing some numbers, for a USD$4k spend on a new tasty steed, we would end up somewhere around:
=$4000 x 1.15 + $74 + $63
=$4737 USD

At today's 0.76 exchange rate that gives us AUD$6,173

Not looking too good now but good to see where it all goes.
They will convert before adding taxes I believe.

Legislation for new Overseas GST registered businesses is currently before parliament. Fuck we're a greedy taxing lot, us and the USA are happy to ignore borders in one direction with regards to taxes.

Of note, mailbox redelivery services will be treated as an importer and be subject to 75K AUD gst registration requirements.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-...ct-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

On 16 February 2017, the Government introduced law to Parliament that will amend the law to extend Goods and Services Tax (GST) to low value imports of physical goods imported by consumers from 1 July 2017.

A vendor registration model will be used and suppliers with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more in a twelve month period will be required to register and charge GST.

The existing processes to collect GST on imports above $1,000 at the border are broadly unchanged.

In summary, the reforms:

make supplies of goods valued at $1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are, broadly, purchased by consumers and are brought to Australia with the assistance of the supplier;
treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought to Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator;
treat re-deliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside Australia as part of the supply and the re-deliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of, broadly, a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer;
allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia only because of these amendments to elect to be a limited registration entity and as such access the simplified registration and reporting system; and
prevent double taxation by making importations of goods non-taxable importations if the supply of the goods is a taxable supply only as a result of these amendments and notice is provided in the approved form.
The greedy cunts.