Buying helmets internationally.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
What are people's thoughts on buying a lid from overseas?
I'm looking at the MET lupo helmet which I know fits my noggin alright, but I really prefer some of the colour options that don't seem to be available in Australia.
If I import one from o/s then it likely won't meet Australia standards, but what are the actual differences and does it matter?

moorey

call me Mia
People say insurance companies can be sticklers in a claim. Don’t know if true.
Commissaires are meant to check for the Aussie sticker at races. I have never been checked in 20 years.
I’m not saying to do it, just relaying experiences.

Z

Zaf

Technically, once it's passed the AS/NZS 2063:2008 standard, all you need to do to bring it to compliance is put a sticker that includes bolded section below really. Guessing that's the only thing it'll be lacking if you purchase it from overseas.
https://www.productsafety.gov.au/standards/bicycle-helmets said:
On the helmet
Each helmet must be permanently and legibly marked in letters no less than 1.5 mm high indicating the:
  • registered name and address of the manufacturer and/or Australian agent
  • shell and liner construction material(s)
  • model and brand designation
  • front or rear of the helmet
  • helmet size
  • month and year of manufacture, which may be spelled out (for example 'November 2008') or in numerals (for example '11/2008').
Each helmet must also be clearly marked so that the safety instructions are accessible without removal of the comfort padding or any permanent part of the helmet. Safety instructions must appear word for word as follows:

• Bicycle helmet—NOT intended for use in motor sports or by motor cyclists.
  • Helmets can be seriously damaged by substances such as petrol, paint, adhesives, or cleaning agents.
  • Make no modifications.
  • Fasten helmet securely under the jaw.
  • If helmet shows signs of damage, destroy and replace it.
  • If helmet receives a severe blow, even if apparently undamaged, destroy and replace it.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Most race organisers permit the use of helmets to the Australian standard or international equivalents as they recognise some of their competitors may not be from around here, but details of the protective equipment required should form part of the race briefing.
Technically, once it's passed the AS/NZS 2063:2008 standard, all you need to do to bring it to compliance is put a sticker that includes bolded section below really. Guessing that's the only thing it'll be lacking if you purchase it from overseas.
I remember hearing of a couple of brands that had to modify their designs in order to comply, one of them may have had something to do with the chin strap but I can't recall the details.

Edit: This article seems to support what I remember regarding chin straps.
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/g...to-wear-an-australian-standards-helmet-45789/

Last edited:

DTBrad

Likes Bikes
I purchased a 661 Recon Scout from CRC 2 years ago. It was advertised as complying with AS/NZ 2063:2008 and has the appropriate stickers. Might be worth asking for the MET lupo is already marked correctly?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'm looking at the MET lupo helmet which I know fits my noggin alright, but I really prefer some of the colour options that don't seem to be available in Australia.
If I import one from o/s then it likely won't meet Australia standards, but what are the actual differences and does it matter?
MET lupo fits over a pineapple, noted.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Most race organisers permit the use of helmets to the Australian standard or international equivalents as they recognise some of their competitors may not be from around here, but details of the protective equipment required should form part of the race briefing.

I remember hearing of a couple of brands that had to modify their designs in order to comply, one of them may have had something to do with the chin strap but I can't recall the details.

Edit: This article seems to support what I remember regarding chin straps.
https://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/g...to-wear-an-australian-standards-helmet-45789/
Good article, it's refreshing to read something that actually puts some real information behind what's different about our laws and how it actually affects the helmet.

More interesting though is the general ignorance amongst the enforcers & law-makers about what the AS/NZS certification actually changes. Everyone seems perfectly happy banging on about 'it's for your safety!' but doesn't actually know how (or if) that's the actually the case.

Going back to the original question as well (& Moorey's comment on the insurance thing), it would seem you're just as exposed if you attach anything protruding over 5mm to your helmet, such as a camera, light, ice-dot, ziptie, etc. to your helmet, as it would potentially void it's compliance. At least in NSW & VIC anyway (kind of like the footpath thing, safer in some states, more dangerous in others apparently...)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Any chance you have some further reading about those "modifications" Junkie?

I've purchased quite a few helmets overseas. In most instances the helmet has met a standard of some form (AU/NZ, EU, US...etc) and the has been good enough for me as a recreational user. This has (as mentioned by DTBrad) included some approved for here. I have put a few of these helmets to the test and they seemed to work as well as any other I've crashed in. But that might just be anecdotal, like the neck braces.

pineapplehead

Likes Dirt
Interestingly, I did read an anecdote a while back where someone noted that the exact same model of helmet sold worldwide was slightly heavier in the domestic aus market. No indications were given what actual differences there were though, and I'm assuming the weight difference was more than the. 00002 grams of the compliance sticker!

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Any chance you have some further reading about those "modifications" Junkie?

I've purchased quite a few helmets overseas. In most instances the helmet has met a standard of some form (AU/NZ, EU, US...etc) and the has been good enough for me as a recreational user. This has (as mentioned by DTBrad) included some approved for here. I have put a few of these helmets to the test and they seemed to work as well as any other I've crashed in. But that might just be anecdotal, like the neck braces.
Not much, but the ACCC review points out the specifics of the differences.
The differences between AS/NZS 2063 and the EN 1078 and CPSC standards include:
  • The Australian Standard requires a ‘load distribution’ test of the helmet’s ability to evenly distribute the ‘load’ of an impact. EN and CPSC standards do not have this.
  • The Australian Standard requires that sample helmets pass multiple performance tests. The EN and CPSC standards allow separate helmets to be used for each test.
  • The Australian Standard requires a lower force inside the helmet during impact testing (250 g-force) whereas the EN and CPSC standards allow a higher force inside the helmet (300 g-force).
The biggest effect seems to be from the second point - they have to use the same helmet through all the tests. From the original article, this means that the helmets are getting the load retention test on the straps done after 4 previous impacts. As the first article said, this generally leads to different strap retention designs and beefier straps. Interestingly though there is no mention of the load retention test (which is supposedly unique) in the ACCC review.

Now, I don't know about you but if my helmet takes a hit in a crash, I replace it. Using the same helmet over for all the tests seems a pretty harsh requirement.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Now, I don't know about you but if my helmet takes a hit in a crash, I replace it. Using the same helmet over for all the tests seems a pretty harsh requirement.
But given that the standard applies to every helmet sold in Australia even right down to the department store special which probably doesn't get replaced after every temper tantrum I can see where the standards committee responsible for this would've been coming from.

I'd be more interested to know if anyone has been pinged for not wearing an AS/NZS helmet either by the local constabulary, by the commissaire at an event or by an insurance company as part of a claim for personal injury, this information would be most useful in making an informed decision if I was considering making a purchase from overseas, I've no doubt that the European and US certified models do an adequate job at protecting ones head, tropical fruit or other.

The last I checked, both European and Aussie's head will crack the same if crashed.

Smart ass comment aside, I bought a TLD from CRC, I guess it won't be an issue if I don't participate in a race that requires AU certified helmet.

teK--

Eats Squid
Unless they had to make changes to the helmet in order to comply with ASNZ.. I remember for one particular helmet it was as innocuous as having to to remove or install a plastic clip on the strap.

teK--

Eats Squid
But given that the standard applies to every helmet sold in Australia even right down to the department store special which probably doesn't get replaced after every temper tantrum I can see where the standards committee responsible for this would've been coming from.

I'd be more interested to know if anyone has been pinged for not wearing an AS/NZS helmet either by the local constabulary, by the commissaire at an event or by an insurance company as part of a claim for personal injury, this information would be most useful in making an informed decision if I was considering making a purchase from overseas, I've no doubt that the European and US certified models do an adequate job at protecting ones head, tropical fruit or other.
At an event I went to they wouldn't let a guy race because he had a Euro helmet. Ironically they let someone with an ASNZ helmet race even though it was an old tattered piece of shit that they'd removed the external plastic shell, spraypainted the exposed inner foam, and stuck googly eyed antennas onto it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not much, but the ACCC review points out the specifics of the differences.
The differences between AS/NZS 2063 and the EN 1078 and CPSC standards include:
  • The Australian Standard requires a ‘load distribution’ test of the helmet’s ability to evenly distribute the ‘load’ of an impact. EN and CPSC standards do not have this.
  • The Australian Standard requires that sample helmets pass multiple performance tests. The EN and CPSC standards allow separate helmets to be used for each test.
  • The Australian Standard requires a lower force inside the helmet during impact testing (250 g-force) whereas the EN and CPSC standards allow a higher force inside the helmet (300 g-force).
The biggest effect seems to be from the second point - they have to use the same helmet through all the tests. From the original article, this means that the helmets are getting the load retention test on the straps done after 4 previous impacts. As the first article said, this generally leads to different strap retention designs and beefier straps. Interestingly though there is no mention of the load retention test (which is supposedly unique) in the ACCC review.

Thanks for that.

At an event I went to they wouldn't let a guy race because he had a Euro helmet. Ironically they let someone with an ASNZ helmet race even though it was an old tattered piece of shit that they'd removed the external plastic shell, spraypainted the exposed inner foam, and stuck googly eyed antennas onto it.
What the fuck??? People will do some stupid shit.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Hey @pineapplehead did you end up getting the Lupo? I like the look of it as well but it looks like there's some geoblocking around the place...