buying online - is it safe? any advice?

Hey - I'm looking to buy some brakes. found an AU internet site. looks ok, but i'm little worried about buying online - its puremtb dot com dot au has anyone had experience with this company? is it safe to buy stuff online?

Cheers

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
doesn't look too bad to me never used it though
anyone dealed with them?
cheaper to get what i want aswell
i might give them a ring

Last edited:

jsbighit

Likes Dirt
id go with a known site such as tbsm.com.au i use them all the time order today get by thursday awesome

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
hey mate
it should be safe but have u checked the brakes for sale on here?
its way better :)
If you are going to go down this track, do ensure that you obtain FULL details of the other party involved. Cannot stress this enough. This includes Name, Contact Number (if you suspect they are younger members, push for a landline also) and Address so you can track them down if need be.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If in doubt give them a call, I think you will find that a lot of places selling online are also actual bike shops.

There are a few well known places that people (myself) tend to buy from (dhdirect, tbsm, phantomcycles, fortheriders just to name a few!) so yes it is safe buying on line but of course buying from somewhere for the first time you should always take care.
And yes buying off a forum probably requires a bit more care and scrutiny, but even on Farkin (Rotorburn!) you get to know certain "Regulars" which you would consider pretty safe to buy from, it's more the new users selling stuff straight away you have to be weary of, but then again a lot of people would join the forum purely to try and sell something first up!

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
I was actually looking at their site the other day. They look like a fairly new mob.
If you live in the Northern Beaches you could probably check them out as they have an address under the 'About Us' link.
Let us know how it goes.

I live in Darwin and order online all the time. With online shops, I check them out a bit, more to see what they've got than to sus out whether they're dodgy or not. You usually figure out what they're about by doing this.

Usually I order from well known places, but the odd times I've bought from smaller, less well set up sites, it's always worked out fine and I've gotten good deals. One time, I ordered some tyres from an random site and they arrived super quickly which was great. Then they contacted me a week or so later saying that they were still waiting for me to pay! I checked my banking details and sure enough, the transfer hadn't gone through so I zapped it to them ASAP. That's trusting eh...

I try and buy from forums whenever I can because you can get good deals off people who are into the gear. There's always an element of risk and there's always a point when the seller either has to send the product before they've received the payment, or more frequently, I have to pay and hope that the item is sent. Once again, I've never been burned doing this.

It's all about trust. Most people are genuine.

puffnfresh40

Likes Dirt
i bought a set of brand new raceface evolves from rotorburn. i payed half of it straight up and when the dude recieved payment he sent it off then sent me the picture of the posting reciept then i payed him the other half.. rocked up a week later :rolleyes:

brought online

Hey Guys,

some feedback... I gave them a call, go some decent advice and decided to order some Hayes brakes. The brakes were on sale and also pretty cheap for what I wanted. stoked...

wakeler

Squid
puremtb.com.au

I brought some bike spray
from puremtb last thursday and I got it today, I have just finished spraying my bike, it looks like new! Now I dont want to get it dirty again

wakeler

Squid
I brought some bike spray
from puremtb last thursday and I got it today, I have just finished spraying my bike, it looks like new! Now I dont want to get it dirty again
Just noticed I got a voucher in the package for 10% off my next purchase
Sweet........

ric3am

Likes Bikes
I inquired about some forks at pure mtb through e-mail they were very helpfull and replied with a couple of hours, the prices seemed good as well
but I ended getting forks from the States (JensonsUSA )same thing but nearly $150 less delivered to my door! Had no probs att all.

Fyro

Likes Bikes
not sure, if its where you buy it like ebay and you get it shipped, sent to you i wouldnt go there (but you can sue if its over $500). I bought mine from a forum, but went to the guys house to try it out, and bought it face to face, if i was you i would reccomend buying it from a site like this or insideline, because its safer, and there are some damn good deals around.