Cables

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Probably the least interesting bike part but i recently went to an LBS to get some cables, $24 for 2 wtf, not even including housing. I'd usually just stock up on cables when i do online orders for a more reasonable price but was caught unprepared.

Without going into detail of how i believe LBS have there business models all wrong and consumable parts like cables, tires etc should be more competitively priced to increase store visits. I'm considering buying a 100 pack of Shimano cable but doubt id use that many in a lifetime, so would any rotorburn users be interested in buying a few?

Say 5 for $10 or $2.50 each including postage?

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Depends on the cable. A standard Shimano stainless inner cable is $2.98 on Wiggle.

If they are the polymer coated cables, count me in.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The most I have paid is $5 from a LBS. I got a box of 100 for $40 a few years back so that should do me for a while.

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Without browsing to widely, mountain bikes direct has a 100 box for $150.

$1.50 a cable, half that of wiggle. If a few people wanted 10 it could be worthwhile.

dylan s

Likes Dirt
20/100

When we get the 70/100 I'll order a box.

Will have a look at mail options, imagine it would only be a couple of $ at most

My lbs is $5 per cable at most.
I'm happy to pay that to have them around, every little bit helps keep a local going. Get most of my consumables locally.
They can't compete on the big ticket items. And they know it.
A while back I pulled into a roadie shop in Perth for some cabling for an old roadie I have. Got royally screwed for the inners and outers, think he saw me coming.
Won't happen twice. I'm a poor ass MTBer not a rolling in it roadie.
Would rather have given that money to my local.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I felt totally abused over Xmas/New Years when I had no option but to pay 28 bucks for a single dura-ace inner at my local LBS. I was desperate, Saturday, 4:50pm.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I felt totally abused over Xmas/New Years when I had no option but to pay 28 bucks for a single dura-ace inner at my local LBS. I was desperate, Saturday, 4:50pm.
It's a DA inner, that's normal. Cable is ~$15 at cost price from Shimano Australia.

My lbs is $5 per cable at most.
I'm happy to pay that to have them around, every little bit helps keep a local going. Get most of my consumables locally.
They can't compete on the big ticket items. And they know it.
A while back I pulled into a roadie shop in Perth for some cabling for an old roadie I have. Got royally screwed for the inners and outers, think he saw me coming.
Won't happen twice. I'm a poor ass MTBer not a rolling in it roadie.
Would rather have given that money to my local.
Depends on the quality, shitty inner and outer can be had for $10 or under. Most shops wouldn't carry them cause there is no point sourcing something from another suppler that irregularly gets purchased.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having had the same feeling of being reamed for a single cable, i got a box of 10 shimano inners from pushys for ~$20

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just another consumable that all regular riders should carry at least 1 spare set of (outers included) or suck up local prices.

Can't expect any favours from a LBS visiting once a year when you are stuck.

dylan s

Likes Dirt
Just another consumable that all regular riders should carry at least 1 spare set of (outers included) or suck up local prices.

Can't expect any favours from a LBS visiting once a year when you are stuck.
I don't think its really expecting favours to expect a reasonable price for a product they buy in bulk. And going back to my first point I would visit them more regularly if consumables were reasonably priced, potentially ordering other products while I'm there.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I don't think its really expecting favours to expect a reasonable price for a product they buy in bulk. And going back to my first point I would visit them more regularly if consumables were reasonably priced, potentially ordering other products while I'm there.
Sadly it's the cost of owning a shop these days. I gave up years ago and went 100% online, bought all the tools and service my bikes/shocks/forks/brakes/hubs, build my own wheels and carrying a stock of basically spare everything.

If I do go to a shop for something, I will always buy there... which is usually my kids riding gear. Trying on local and walking out to buy online is lower than a snakes belly.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Depends on the cable. A standard Shimano stainless inner cable is $2.98 on Wiggle.

If they are the polymer coated cables, count me in.
Everywhere I've looked the XTR/Durace cables are ~$25... Where do people usually buy their polymer coated cables from?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I always buy cables in bulk. Outer also, Shimano SP41 (XTR/Dura-Ace) outer is often available for under $30 for 10m. Buy a 100 jar of outer ends and you're well on your way to having fresh cables any time you need them and also saving a small fortune compared to visiting the LBS.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Chainreactioncycles. I usually buy the kits rather than just the cables to ensure everything is there to get the job done.