Cairns holiday (Mission Beach)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

I just signed up to ask a few general questions about my upcoming holiday in Mission Beach. (this bit is from the Cairnsmtb forums, quick copy and paste this morning was not double checked!)
As the title suggests, I'll be up there from 29/12 til the 8/1.

What I would like to know is;

a) Is it worth taking a bike up with me?
I'd like to ride 3-5 times over my trip if I can. Problem being, I am in Mission Beach with 10 people and we only have small hire cars as our mode of transport.
I'm happy to train in other ways, but as everyone knows, riding is a lot more fun!

b) If yes, road or mtb?
I'm thinking road will be the best option, as we can ride from where we are staying.
To help clarify, I'm only interested in xc riding so if the xc side of things is something I'd regret missing, knowing this could sway my decision!

C) Is there any bike shops in or around the area that have decent hire bikes, in either form?
If there is, this would make life much easier!
The inconvenience of traveling with bikes is a sticking point at present.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Brad

Last edited:

themadscientist

Likes Bikes
Best option: Missionary in Mission Bch...

Hey Brad,

The only riding during your stay in M/Bch worth doing may very well be down at Scottie's backpackers mate...Lets not factor in the wet season....just yet....!

Donning the lycra and turning over a 52 tooth chainring might be the only option in Mission Bch but just a few hours north is the MTB Mecca of Cairns. I'd say F*ck Mission and go ride Cairns....

Smithfield MTB park is located 20min north of the city behind the Uni and adjacent to the AJ Hackett Bungy site. It caters for all MTB needs- Gravity, XC, Jump/Bowl, All-MTN.... Some of the Glen Jacobs tracks featured in the '96 Worlds and you can still ride 'em....they are technical and challenging...

My tip- Take that car to Cairns and hit up Smithy....if you want air- check Kuranda Downhill out...
if you want a southern style XC loop then go to Davies Creek... up on the Tablelands...

What about the rain you say? Stuff it- you'll sweat 3L anyway so it wont matter if you get wet...

Check the Cairns MTB website for details: http://www.cairnsmtb.com/category/trails/trails-in-our-region/

Cheers TheMadScientist
(PS. I'd love to see our region promoted as an eco-tourism MTB Mecca!!! Fingers crossed)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the reply Madscientist,

I was only ever going to ride in Cairns, unless the backpackers is extremely kind to me!
The Cairnsmtb forums copped basically the same question this morning.

As you seem to know the area well, I'm guessing there is little in the way of hire bikes?

If I did take the roady, it'd be nice to ride at Smithfield as you said (I did some research a few weeks back)
Seems a shame to get so close to an iconic mtb location without being able to experience it!

Appreciate the reply

Brad

themadscientist

Likes Bikes
Cairns MTB

Yep, ditch the roadie MTB only...

Give Graham a shout, see what he can organise...

http://cairnsmountainbiketours.com/

Worst case you might be ablr to swing a demo bike from Pump N Pedals on Sheridan St.

But i reckon you want to be on your own ride for some of the sweetest tech trails through rainforest you'll ever find. Shame I wont be home mate or I'd show you...but I gotta work in B.F Idaho...

Peace and enjoy the trails mate :)

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Smithfield is a lot of fun, with raw, gnarly rainforest trails. I am heading up with a group for some different trails to what we ride in townsville.

Mission Beach is pretty much in the middle of Cairns and Townsville. Townsville also has some awesome trails, with the terrain being more exposed, rocky trails.

You could go north or south and still hit the jackpot!!