Cairns wc track

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You sir have no idea as to why what or how!
If that was the case all tracks would be closed.
Sheeesh grow a brain!
Not all are managed by a Government department. Where would I get such a dumb idea, maybe their press release advising exactly that.

You just keep making up your own stories as usual ;)

Last edited:

LeeD

Likes Dirt
Not all are managed by a Government department. Where would I get such a dumb idea, maybe their press release advising exactly that.

You just keep making up your own stories as usual ;)
Like I said you have know idea as to what, how or why.
Please feel free to do some thorough research on the matter.

madflap

Likes Dirt
A fact that is being ignored is that the restricted access area is open to commercial activity permits. To get one you must meet the criteria set by Parks relating to Risk Management, Liability pertaining specifically to DH MTB activity and also to having some accreditation. If you meet the criteria then you can have a Commercial Activity Agreement.
As I have said previously, they spent the money to rebuild, it is their land they get to set guidelines on how it is used.
There has always been some form of permit or agreement to use the area commercially, it has never been a free for all.
The club has neogtiated a new 34 lease agreement and a Commercial Activity Agreement.
The club will provide access when it can dependent on volunteers and will support and continue to negotiate better trails, better access etc... for all.

LeeD

Likes Dirt
A fact that is being ignored is that the restricted access area is open to commercial activity permits. To get one you must meet the criteria set by Parks relating to Risk Management, Liability pertaining specifically to DH MTB activity and also to having some accreditation. If you meet the criteria then you can have a Commercial Activity Agreement.

Francis the question is why is it deemed a "Restricted Access Area" that you cannot even walk let alone push up and ride?
It had been open for the public for how many years?
What is the accreditation you speak of, has it even been written yet?
It is not by definition a "Natural Resource" and can never be in its current state.

As I have said previously, they spent the money to rebuild, it is their land they get to set guidelines on how it is used.
There has always been some form of permit or agreement to use the area commercially, it has never been a free for all.

The Smithfield conservation park is public land owned by the people of Queensland, whose money was spent, not by parks. They and others only attempt to manage this public asset .
Since when has taking your bike out to do runs on public land been deemed a commercial activity let alone one that will get you fined?

The club has neogtiated a new 34 lease agreement and a Commercial Activity Agreement.
The club will provide access when it can dependent on volunteers and will support and continue to negotiate better trails, better access etc... for all.
So what about those poor souls that can't fit in with the Clubs mandate or its days? Or for that matter be allowed too?

Any ideas?

Last edited:

madflap

Likes Dirt
Just to clear up the misinformation

The Cairns WC track is able to be accessed by commercial operators. Commercial operators can apply for a Commercial Activity Agreement (CAA) to access the Restricted Access Area (RAA).

This CAA has certain requirements and they are Risk management, appropriate liability insurance and industry credentials. These conditions were set by Parks who funded the rebuild and were party to the return of the World Cup. Their support for MTB Tourism in this area is fairly solid given the money being spent in Parks on trails etc.. Parks created this facility and have sought advice from experts in the field.

So for those who want to access they should apply for one, meet the criteria and then they can get access.
If they can't meet the criteria then perhaps they shouldn't have access. Not for me to make that decision that is for Parks, and the Govt, they funded it, they set the guidelines based on what they feel will protect their investment in MTB tourism.
The Cairns MTB Club only has access as long as it complies with MTBA policy with regard the running of events, whether they be social or competitive.

Walkers are not permitted on the trail because, as it was explained to me, Parks are worried that walkers will not hear a Downhiller doing 70kph through the fast areas of the track and there will be carnage. Seems fair to me. You wouldn't see walkers walking against the flow of Downhillers at Fort William, Stromlo, Thredbo, Buller?.

Seems to be a lot of hysteria being stirred up for what? I am not sure but perhaps instead of wasting time and energy on this rubbish they should be focusing on meeting the criteria so they can get a CAA.

To run around yelling that the restricted access to this trail means the end of MTB tourism for this region is pretty irresponsible. That sort of thing affects the entire region from Townsville up. A 1.9 kilometre section of trail, purpose built for WC downhill, is not going to be the sole dictator of the growth of MTB tourism in this region. That will be based on how we market the region to the masses (the masses don't all ride DH) The Paluma Push MTB race sold out in 4 days (500 riders). The RRR this year sold out 650 riders, the biggest in the history of the RRR and plans are for the numbers to be increased next year.

Similar numbers are expected for the Cardwell race planned for the 150 year celebrations of Cardwell. TTNQ is creating more marketing campaigns for southern states, who pretty much have nowhere to ride this time of year. Ride cairns is getting more and more hits a day.

A new Fat Bike Tour in the Cape York exploring remote beaches sold out its inaugural tour, sold out Cairns to Karumba (dirt boys) charity ride, More MTB tour operators seeking to enter the industry. A quick chat to other tour operators in the region indicates that the industry is seeing significant growth. The list goes on to show this irresponsible ranting is simply inaccurate.

Talk to local bike shop owners who have noted a significant increase in MTB interest, growth in junior development days at the Cairns MTB Club, sold out Social MTB retreats for women etc..

It is getting a bit old this carry on, criteria exists for a CAA, meet it or diversify. If any business is basing it's sole success around 1.9 km of trail then that may not be the most viable business. In the MTB tourism market diversity is the key. With hundreds of kilometres of trails in the region built and being planned it is ludicrous to have to address this issue over and over again.
Access can be obtained through the club, until another entity meets the criteria to gain access. Club access is determined by weather and volunteers. More volunteers, more access, as long as the weather is kind.

The options exist for access, Can we move on?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Cairns WC track is able to be accessed by commercial operators. Commercial operators can apply for a Commercial Activity Agreement (CAA) to access the Restricted Access Area (RAA).

This CAA has certain requirements and they are Risk management, appropriate liability insurance and industry credentials. These conditions were set by Parks who funded the rebuild and were party to the return of the World Cup. Their support for MTB Tourism in this area is fairly solid given the money being spent in Parks on trails etc.. Parks created this facility and have sought advice from experts in the field.

So for those who want to access they should apply for one, meet the criteria and then they can get access.
If they can't meet the criteria then perhaps they shouldn't have access. Not for me to make that decision that is for Parks, and the Govt, they funded it, they set the guidelines based on what they feel will protect their investment in MTB tourism.
The Cairns MTB Club only has access as long as it complies with MTBA policy with regard the running of events, whether they be social or competitive.

Walkers are not permitted on the trail because, as it was explained to me, Parks are worried that walkers will not hear a Downhiller doing 70kph through the fast areas of the track and there will be carnage. Seems fair to me. You wouldn't see walkers walking against the flow of Downhillers at Fort William, Stromlo, Thredbo, Buller?.

Seems to be a lot of hysteria being stirred up for what? I am not sure but perhaps instead of wasting time and energy on this rubbish they should be focusing on meeting the criteria so they can get a CAA.

To run around yelling that the restricted access to this trail means the end of MTB tourism for this region is pretty irresponsible. That sort of thing affects the entire region from Townsville up. A 1.9 kilometre section of trail, purpose built for WC downhill, is not going to be the sole dictator of the growth of MTB tourism in this region. That will be based on how we market the region to the masses (the masses don't all ride DH) The Paluma Push MTB race sold out in 4 days (500 riders). The RRR this year sold out 650 riders, the biggest in the history of the RRR and plans are for the numbers to be increased next year.

Similar numbers are expected for the Cardwell race planned for the 150 year celebrations of Cardwell. TTNQ is creating more marketing campaigns for southern states, who pretty much have nowhere to ride this time of year. Ride cairns is getting more and more hits a day.

A new Fat Bike Tour in the Cape York exploring remote beaches sold out its inaugural tour, sold out Cairns to Karumba (dirt boys) charity ride, More MTB tour operators seeking to enter the industry. A quick chat to other tour operators in the region indicates that the industry is seeing significant growth. The list goes on to show this irresponsible ranting is simply inaccurate.

Talk to local bike shop owners who have noted a significant increase in MTB interest, growth in junior development days at the Cairns MTB Club, sold out Social MTB retreats for women etc..

It is getting a bit old this carry on, criteria exists for a CAA, meet it or diversify. If any business is basing it's sole success around 1.9 km of trail then that may not be the most viable business. In the MTB tourism market diversity is the key. With hundreds of kilometres of trails in the region built and being planned it is ludicrous to have to address this issue over and over again.
Access can be obtained through the club, until another entity meets the criteria to gain access. Club access is determined by weather and volunteers. More volunteers, more access, as long as the weather is kind.

The options exist for access, Can we move on?
:photo: Thank you for all the hours you have put in , and all the volunteers who helped with the MTB Races.. I dont believe I saw the complainant volunteering to help? Lots of people busted their asses doing ridiculous hours in the lead up to these races...

LeeD

Likes Dirt
As per usual the point is completely missed again.
Throwing stones without all the information again and again Sheeesh I might take up knitting, Not!

EdMan

Squid
I just want to say that I'm loving the trails at Smithfield and that only having one of the trails as restricted access should not affect anyone's enjoyment of the area. Thanks to MudFlap for explaining how it all works too.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Wow edman first post! Yea Smithfield is great plenty of awesome trails. No shortage of DH tracks up there in Cairns.