Camping/Fishing/MTB riding within 250km of Sydney?

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

Anyone know a good location where we can go camping, fishing and mountain biking within approximately 250km of Sydney?

Looking to organise a little weekend get away.

Thanks in advance!

stirk

Burner
250 km depending on where you live in Sydney.....

I am familiar with the Mid North Coast area around Taree.

The fishing around Harrington, Crowdy Head can be awesome if you know where to go. My PB is 18 flatties in 90 minutes, land based. If you do go there PM me as I can't make some places too public!

Camping in Harrington is basic managed camp grounds, not Big 4 style but good enough, if you want to really rough it there are options too.

Mountain biking is covered in the Kiwarrak State Forest area, I've not had the pleasure of riding there yet but apparently it's competition worthy trails I've heard good reports from.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Go all out and head to the Hawkesbury river or the central coast.

Newcastle could work. There is a good range of riding all easy to get to from the city. Plenty of fishing options and a caravan park (if that is the kind of camping you mean). Plus it is all in the middle of civilisation. Bogans count as a form of civilisation right?

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
250 km depending on where you live in Sydney.....

I am familiar with the Mid North Coast area around Taree.

The fishing around Harrington, Crowdy Head can be awesome if you know where to go. My PB is 18 flatties in 90 minutes, land based. If you do go there PM me as I can't make some places too public!

Camping in Harrington is basic managed camp grounds, not Big 4 style but good enough, if you want to really rough it there are options too.

Mountain biking is covered in the Kiwarrak State Forest area, I've not had the pleasure of riding there yet but apparently it's competition worthy trails I've heard good reports from.
This area definitely sounds tempting! It's about 300km and 3.5 hour drive but isn't too much further than I was initially willing to travel. Will definitely PM you for those fishing details if we end up going there!

Go all out and head to the Hawkesbury river or the central coast.

Newcastle could work. There is a good range of riding all easy to get to from the city. Plenty of fishing options and a caravan park (if that is the kind of camping you mean). Plus it is all in the middle of civilisation. Bogans count as a form of civilisation right?
Are you referring to Glenworth Valley? I know they had DH/Enduro races there and it appears that there would be some good fishing there too!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hawkesbury is a boss fishing location. No real idea on trails, except all the business around Wisemans' Ferry...

stirk

Burner
The caravan park at Harrington is actually a Big4, never noticed the sign. http://big4harrington.com.au/

There is another one further out of town called Colonial Leisure Park which is pet friendly. Good to know.

Pub does great food, wood fired pizza, Bowls club for Bingo, good take away shops.

Best place to swim in the area is Manning point, which is on the other side of the Manning River, clean water with a sharky proof bath. Take away shop there takes an hour when busy though.
Or Crowdy Head surf beach which is patrolled in Summer.

The night of the 1st of Jan really good fireworks show.

Sounds like the Kiwarrak Forest is great for riding too.

It's a distance from Sydney for a two day weekend, best suited to 3 plus days.

For a chilled out coastal getaway holiday with the family I recommend.

For a boys weekend away maybe a bit quiet.