Can 2010 120mm Rock Shox Reba Team Dual Air forks be lowered to 100mm?

blakeo_2233

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
as per the title, I want to know if its possible to lower 2010 120mm Rock Shox Reba Team Dual Air forks to 100mm. Anyone done this or know if it is possible? Would be very helpful.
Blake.

blakeo_2233

Likes Dirt
1) yes
ok thanks for that info, have you done this before? Or just seen it done or a mate etc?
2) RTFM or take it to your LBS
RTFM? Reason being I asked this is because i wanted to know before I bought a set from crc if they could be lowered to 100mm as I wanted reba's with the 20mm maxle lite and the 100mm only come in QR. And asking this question on the net was alot more convenient than travel to my LBS to ask this question and than have them ask why I am not going to buy a set off them.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
RTFM? Reason being I asked this is because i wanted to know before I bought a set from crc if they could be lowered to 100mm as I wanted reba's with the 20mm maxle lite and the 100mm only come in QR. And asking this question on the net was alot more convenient than travel to my LBS to ask this question and than have them ask why I am not going to buy a set off them.
RTFM= Read the f&*ken manual, this tells you how to do everything including change the travel. It's a 15min job with the correct tools......

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your going to bother pulling them down to drop them to 100mm get some slick honey and clean them out and rebuild them with slick honey.
Im guessing by the desire for a 20mm axel and 100mm travel its for a 4x/DJ bike? if so i would consider some thicker oil to match the increased air pressure you will be running, that is if your going to bother pulling them down. an your intended use is to have them firmed up a touch

floody

Wheel size expert
Its a 50/50 chance there'll be no oil in them anyway, so just get your LBS to service them on arrival and add a 20mm All Travel Spacer to get it down to 100. My Reba Team maxle forks came with a spare spacer in the box (i.e. to make them 100), you can buy and chuck another in for 80 if you feel the need.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If your going to bother pulling them down to drop them to 100mm get some slick honey and clean them out and rebuild them with slick honey.
I wanted to do this with my pikes a while back. Only a few places had it, nowhere for sale. One place said they normally could sell it,($100 half litre tub!!) but had just opened their last tub for the workshop, and sold me float fluid as a compromise. Works well enough, but I'd still like to get the slick honey.
Where can I get it??

blakeo_2233

Likes Dirt
RTFM= Read the f&*ken manual, this tells you how to do everything including change the travel. It's a 15min job with the correct tools......
If you read my post, I havnt got a set yet I just wanted to make sure it was possible to do so before I bought them.

Im guessing by the desire for a 20mm axel and 100mm travel its for a 4x/DJ bike? if so i would consider some thicker oil to match the increased air pressure you will be running, that is if your going to bother pulling them down. an your intended use is to have them firmed up a touch
Yer gunna be used on a dj/4x bike, will take advantage of this advice.. thanks man, and to everyone else who posted very helpful.

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wanted to do this with my pikes a while back. Only a few places had it, nowhere for sale. One place said they normally could sell it,($100 half litre tub!!) but had just opened their last tub for the workshop, and sold me float fluid as a compromise. Works well enough, but I'd still like to get the slick honey.
Where can I get it??
Here is your man
Click me please

dhd

Downhill Direct
Ghetto fork lube recipe:

ingredients:
1X tub of vaseline or similar petroleum jelly
1X 10wt fork oil (non seal swell)

Place a reasonable size dollop (technical term) of the Vaso in a jar. Next pour in a little fork oil. Mix it up, get your fingers in there and mix it good. Check consistency. Add more oil and mix if needed. The trick is to get a nice consistency. Too much oil and it's a very slippery mess that ends up everywhere and slides away from the bushes. You can also add a little non-lithium (it eats away seals) grease into the mix if you have some good stuff laying around.
Grab a Troy Lee sticker and put it on the jar so all your friends think you have the most stylish grease available.

Ghetto but it works!

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im going to be lower the exact same forks to 80mm and wondering how thick a oil would you put in the forks to macth the higher pressure? 15wt?

sorry for the thread steal

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^ If it's any help, I use 15wt oil with a x-firm spring in my pike. I was using it with a standard spring trying to increase overall compression damping, which it did to some effect. It's still fine to use with the stiffer spring, so I will keep using it.

floody

Wheel size expert
im going to be lower the exact same forks to 80mm and wondering how thick a oil would you put in the forks to macth the higher pressure? 15wt?

sorry for the thread steal
Theres no 'higher pressure' so far as the oil is concerned. All you're doing is moving the piston further up in the bore at base rideheight. Oil isn't compressed, so you can happily run what they are specced for from the factory.

Personally despite running my Reba at 80mm and being ~100kg at the time I never changed the oil weight as they worked pretty well as specced. The idea of perhaps running a heavier oil for more compression damping does sound enticing though...maybe on the next build.