CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

binner

Hath shat hymself
such a pleasant drive now

^^^^^^^ yeah it may be the case I got to Squishy Squamish n hire from there, the sea to sky gets me all excited
keep on trucking

Ziga Sparovec

Cannon Fodder
Insurance cost and cover
50/50 that you get to the medical center. Id look at World Nomads which covers MTB. ALthough it does not cover MTB competitions.

http://www.worldnomads.com.au/

How to get from Vancouver to Whistler
Greyhound bus is cheapest....but you need to get to the depot. There are private buses directly from airport to Whistler village. Once you are in Whistler getting around on your bike is easy enough.

Cost of Buying a Bike
If you are in the market for a new bike I'd definitely buy there, rather than haul one over. The difference in prices is substantial. End of the year there will be people selling lost of used bikes and getting a crazy deal is certainly possible. The savings might pay for most of the trip.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
<snip> and there is a slight chance the dude next to you will cut your head off with a knife. Enjoy.
Its funny, because everyone else thinks you are kidding... hope they dont have to learn the hard way

Also, be careful who you catch the bus with - if your co-travellers behave quite badly it is likely the cops will throw you off the bus too. I was once on a bus heading back from Whistler to Van during ski season, a group of youths were rather loud and offensive... bus driver told them to shut up... most complied - a couple didnt... cops turned up and threw them all off the bus in Creekside in the middle of a snow storm at 9:45pm... I laughed at them - served them right

If the bus is crowded enough that you have to sit next to someone (early morning buses mean you dont have to!) old ladies are your best option (quiet, dont take up much space, unlikely to stab you)

On the other hand, if you re first onto the bus, look as obnoxious as possible with your headphones on, preferably chewing something and if everyone else has a choice you'll have a free seat next to you, either that or the last person to get onto the bus

Window seats are better than isle seats, gives you something to lean your head onto

yeh, i spent quite a lot of time on Greyhounds going back and forth b/w Whistler and Van:)

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Insurance cost and cover
50/50 that you get to the medical center. Id look at World Nomads which covers MTB. ALthough it does not cover MTB competitions.

http://www.worldnomads.com.au/
From the quick look I had it seems world nomad only covers items for max $250 unless individually specified items which are only up to a max of $1000 with a combined total max of $3000 so $1000 isn't going to cover most people's mountain bikes or laptops or possibly SLR cameras etc.

Do they have a premium policy which has higher limits or what??

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
From the quick look I had it seems world nomad only covers items for max $250 unless individually specified items which are only up to a max of $1000 with a combined total max of $3000 so $1000 isn't going to cover most people's mountain bikes or laptops or possibly SLR cameras etc.

Do they have a premium policy which has higher limits or what??
Nope, I've tried everything to get them to cover me for more. Their answer was to get renters insurance over here to cover it.:rolleyes:

I bought a Kryptonite lock that covers me up to something like $2200 if my bike gets stolen while the lock is on it. Not even half the value of the bike but what can you do? It's better than nothing.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Nope, I've tried everything to get them to cover me for more. Their answer was to get renters insurance over here to cover it.:rolleyes:

I bought a Kryptonite lock that covers me up to something like $2200 if my bike gets stolen while the lock is on it. Not even half the value of the bike but what can you do? It's better than nothing.
What other insurance companies are out there that will cover for expensive items? I'm with Covermore at the moment that I have my bike covered up to $5k and my laptop and camera equipment up to $3k I think. It is fairly expensive and my years coverage runs out very soon and due to a recent incident with them regarding a claim I want to go someone else.

Ryan

Radministrator
Just throwing this out there as I'm reaching a fairly high level of desperation to get our kitchen fully staffed for the summer; Work available in Squamish (half way between Whistler and Vancouver) for a line cook or 3rd/4th year apprentice with experience in a busy kitchen. Good wages, flexible close-to-fulltime hours (30-40 hours a week), tips, meal and a drink with every shift. PM me on here or email ryan@farkin.net for more info.

JimT

Likes Dirt
Booked my flight yesterday. 17th July - 9th August. Can't wait.
Just on my own, so if anyone wants a riding partner at any time between those dates, let me know.

Otherwise, see you on the patio of the GLC.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Just on my own, so if anyone wants a riding partner at any time between those dates, let me know.

Jim,

PM Jazza_Wil and S. on here for a ride. Tell them you're my cousin and they'll look after you.

Hux

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes

Well Jim, if you're flying out of Sydney with Air Canada on the 17th we'll see you on the plane --- not long now !!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Booked my flight for the 29th of july, for a touch over 2 weeks. Going by myself but i'm sure 1/3 of Oz's DH community will probably be there.

Where is the better staff accommodation to book. ie, closer to stuff?

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Where is the better staff accommodation to book. ie, closer to stuff?
Mate, Brio is the better staff housing, slightly more expensive and a quick flat walk/ride to the lifts but if you aren't whistler blackcomb staff you I doubt you will get into brio, you will have to go Glacier I'd say. This is still close but it's just up the top of a big hill.

oneadi

Squid
when you get there buy a $5.95 bike guide to whistler and go ride gargamel and ride dont slide which is off the top of the gondola and about a half hour push but well worth it and travel air new zealand they accomadate for sport equipment if you get the chance ride squamish pemberton and cbc on seymour
have fun

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Mate, Brio is the better staff housing, slightly more expensive and a quick flat walk/ride to the lifts but if you aren't whistler blackcomb staff you I doubt you will get into brio, you will have to go Glacier I'd say. This is still close but it's just up the top of a big hill.
brio staff housing is closed for renovations this summer, everyone will be kicked out and shifted up to glacier pretty soon...

Ninja Cougar

Likes Bikes
Flying out of Sydney at 10.25?
See you at the gate.
Yep, that's the flight -- that will be me with my 14 yr old son, seats 28 J and K if you want to say hello. Coming from Adelaide on an earlier flight that morning, so hope our bikes make it on the plane with us. We'll need to leave home about 3.30am to make it to Adelaide in time, so 17th of July will be one long day. Staying in Whistler 3 and a bit weeks. The non-MTBers in our family will be doing an Alaska cruise and meeting us in Whistler.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
brio staff housing is closed for renovations this summer, everyone will be kicked out and shifted up to glacier pretty soon...
Really? Had a mate just get into whistler a couple of days ago and they checked him into Brio 309. I'm getting back to whistler in a few days and was hoping for Brio again for this summer. Oh well looks like it's either hiking the hill or look for a house for summer.

Thanks for the heads up Jazza. U liftying for the summer as well or not?

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Really? Had a mate just get into whistler a couple of days ago and they checked him into Brio 309. I'm getting back to whistler in a few days and was hoping for Brio again for this summer. Oh well looks like it's either hiking the hill or look for a house for summer.

Thanks for the heads up Jazza. U liftying for the summer as well or not?
there not getting kicked out right now but pretty soon...
working with lift maintenance for the summer, couldnt handle another season of dealing with public. cashed up skiers with no common sense pissed me off way to much. everyone said the summer tourists are even worst so for everyones safety and my sanity i thought id be best off to get out of it

rsquared

Likes Dirt
couldnt handle another season of dealing with public. cashed up skiers with no common sense pissed me off way to much. everyone said the summer tourists are even worst so for everyones safety and my sanity i thought id be best off to get out of it
oh man you have no idea! As hard as it is to believe, summer tourists are worse then the winter ones! I really don't understand why it's such a hard concept to some people to walk to a line and sit on a chair??? Not to be racist but certain nationalities are way worse than others!

I might be lead hand in the bike this season so won't be so bad, you don't have to put up with the foot passengers there! But you do still get to see some hilarious things like people trying to stand in front of the bike carriers as they come in and load the bike from the front only to have the carrier nearly run over them and there bike....