CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being covered under MSP basically gets you into Canada's version of Medicare so you don't have to pay up front (or at all in most cases) for regular GP visits, emergency medicine and so on. It's not going to cover the cost of getting choppered off a mountain or anything hardcore like that
It will however cover you being taken via ambulance off the mountain, and then put in a helicopter to get you from Whistler Clinic to Vancouver General Hospital

not saying it was the best idea I've ever had, but I do love morphine

D.Norton

Likes Dirt
I used and highly rate the insurance through STA travel. It is not cheap but they pretty much cover everything. I lodged many claims and the money was in my account within 2 weeks with no questions asked. These were not trivial claims, but stuff like a lost camera, wisdom tooth extraction and 6 stiches after falling from my bike. I expected to have to work for it and that simply wasn't the case.
My GF's experience with World Nomads was not so straightforward - lots of paperwork, phone calls and rooting around to get them to pay anyting.

I'm pretty sure no insurance company will cover any form of racing "except on foot." The assumption being that many of these events have their own insurance - check carefully before racing because that medical centre will bend you over! Also remember that you need to pay for most medical visits up front - make sure you have $500-1000 saved or at least a credit card to be able to front this money. Yes you need this much - just to be seen in the emergency medical centre in town is $500. It cost me $350 at a GP to get 6 stiches.

Hope that helps,
Chris
Chris, I have looked at STA, yes its not cheap but ticks all my boxes (except for fact that insuring 2 bikes with of a rrp total of over 10k is going to be a hard task by any means with out forking out an arm and a leg for them especially as they will both probably be sold before I come home).

Can you OR anybody please tell me more about events having their own insurance, and would this void my travel insurance? I have never raced before and don't understand the in's and outs of this stuff.

Last edited:

Ryan

Radministrator
Chris, I have looked at STA, yes its not cheap but ticks all my boxes (except for fact that insuring 2 bikes with of a rrp total of over 10k is going to be a hard task by any means with out forking out an arm and a leg for them especially as they will both probably be sold before I come home).

Can you OR anybody please tell me more about events having their own insurance, and would this void my travel insurance? I have never raced before and don't understand the in's and outs of this stuff.
If your intention is to lose as much money on selling your bikes as is humanly possible then this is a sound plan. You'd be much better off selling both of your bikes in Australia then bringing the cash with you to pick up some replacements over here.

The second hand market, especially in Whistler, is flooded with deals at the start and end of every season, which are great times to buy and terrible times to sell if you're trying to make back anything near what the bike was worth.

binner

Hath shat hymself
another indulging moment

Yeah mate we did

Whats dates are going to be there ?
yups are there from 2nd july till 23rd then 2 nites in vancouver from memory,booked sooo long ago
you know what's the best thing in the hot tub......hot trim and cubans :eek:

jmeers

Likes Dirt
yups are there from 2nd july till 23rd then 2 nites in vancouver from memory,booked sooo long ago
you know what's the best thing in the hot tub......hot trim and cubans :eek:
sounds sweet mate.....will be there from 5th till the 20th july

would be cool to hook for a some runs and loads of beer

first time visting whistler so pumped

[ta]

Likes Dirt
Booked.

Hey everyone.
The trip is just around the corner and i am happy to say Tickets are booked and so is insurance.
I will be flying with United, through Sydney, LA and Van on the 1st of July. Will be at Whistler till the 28th after which i will spend 3 or so days in LA.
Tickets sent me back just under 2K. Last week was a serious drop in prices and right now is the time to buy (get in if you still haven't).
Insurance was another story. Definitely wanted full medical (unlimited coverage) in case of anything, but personally could care much for death cover or hijacking or terrorist attacks so flight center worked out a pretty good deal for me for under 250$ with CoverMore insurance. Slight discount, can get you information about exactly what plan it was as well (believe it was the TI or something).
Have been training every week now and ready to go, bike has been built up, gear purchased and mind set.
Looking at accommodation right now. Anyone who has anything available, will be happy to take 1-2 spots if possible from the 1st-28th or what not.
Catch you guys soon at the mountain.
Its going to be the best.

Will keep you guys posted about whats going on aswell.

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Sorry if this is mentioned else where though I could not see a specific answer to my question.

What do people feel are the best bike stores Vancouver/Whistler area (West Coast) for buying DH bikes/frames? I have seen lists of stores though I am just trying to see which are the DH oriented stores and which would be your typical family store (no DH) if you know what I mean. I thought I would ask to see if anyone has any particular knowledge/experience/recommendations.

I am going over in June/July and want to send a few frame quote requests before I head over and walk in to the store.

Any help would be appreciated.

pieno

Likes Dirt
What do people feel are the best bike stores Vancouver/Whistler area (West Coast) for buying DH bikes/frames? I have seen lists of stores though I am just trying to see which are the DH oriented stores and which would be your typical family store (no DH) if you know what I mean. I thought I would ask to see if anyone has any particular knowledge/experience/recommendations.
Dunbar Cycles
On top bike shop
Steed Cycles

Are some that spring to mind, all around the North Van area. Personally I have brought anything from any of these shops. There is a new tax on bikes coming in on the 1st of July, so if your going to buy something try and get it before then. I think the new tax is 6 or 7% more than the 5% that currently used

darkmuncan

Likes Bikes
Flights are cheaaaaap

looks like flight prices have dropped considerably due to the strength of the Aussie $.

Syd - > Van return was $2050 when I paid last month, down to $1610 now

That's in Jul 9 and out Aug 17 Flying V Australia and Air Alaska

Last edited:

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Lightweight & Compact Workstand

Hey guys,

I'm making the epic trip to Whistler for the season this year and really want to take a workstand as I service my bike every ride. I'll easily spend hours on it per week up there and for 120 or so days it would be way better than the old school, ghetto, 'rope-with-loop-for-saddle-around-beam-on-ceiling' jobbie. It would also be very handy for the mates staying with me to.

Now the dilemma is trying to get a light and compact one that wont affect my baggage allowance too much. So far the best I've found is the Topeak PrepStand Max. It is 2.4kilo (perfect) uses a BB mount which should work on mot bikes including my Demo 8, it folds to less than a meter tall so I could lay it at the bottom of the bike bag. See below.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Repair/PrepStandMax

Does anyone reckon this is the right idea as 2.4kilo is still a fair bit and that weight difference could do damage on excess baggage bills.

So if anyone knows where I could pick one up heap or has one they want to get rid of please let me know.

Also if anyone knows where I could pick up a cheap stand in Whistler that would be an option to, but I gather it might be easier to pick one up here!

Thanks!

ademb

Likes Dirt
Hopefully this time tomorrow ill of booked my flights for the 15th of August! A month in Canada, yiew!

How busy does it get around Crankworx (7-15/Aug)? Massive lines to be expected for the week after?

Last edited:

beardi

Likes Dirt
It can get pretty busy during crankworx, but if you head up to the garbanzo you'll be fine....also get out early rather than sleeping in.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this time in 6 weeks ill be on the plane over! so pumped.
Bike bags in the post, just getting some final bits and pieces together.

When is everyone going to be over there?
Im Whistler 19-26th June and Vancouver 26-3rd July

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry if this is mentioned else where though I could not see a specific answer to my question.

I am going over in June/July and want to send a few frame quote requests before I head over and walk in to the store.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dunbar Cycles (in you guessed it, Dunbar St, Dunbar, #7 bus takes you past the door, its on the intersection of W26th Ave and unbar)

Steed Cycles (Can't remember the address off the top of my head but its around 950 Marine Drive, North Vancouver, I think its the #241 bus that will get you there, exact address is in the thread my signiture links to)

North Shore Bike Shop (120 East 14th Street, North Vancouver, near the Lonsdale St Intersection but if you ask nicely the Owner Matt J will give you a tour of Fromme Mountain)

John Henry Bikes (Somewhere in North Vancouver, no reallyboutique options, but they do the regular stuff i.e. Spec and Norco at prices that will make your jaw hit the floor)

IMHO you ae much better off getting the bike in Vancouver, in Whistler you have to pay Whistler prices (shudders)

Last edited:

ademb

Likes Dirt
Booked my ticket to vancouver over the weekend, I fly out 15th of August and will be over there till 15th Sept. Thinking 2-3 weeks at whistler at the moment, then a bit of riding the northshore. And a little bit of travelling aswell.

Starting to look for accomodation aswell

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Dunbar Cycles (in you guessed it, Dunbar St, Dunbar, #7 bus takes you past the door, its on the intersection of W26th Ave and unbar)

Steed Cycles (Can't remember the address off the top of my head but its around 950 Marine Drive, North Vancouver, I think its the #241 bus that will get you there, exact address is in the thread my signiture links to)

North Shore Bike Shop (120 East 14th Street, North Vancouver, near the Lonsdale St Intersection but if you ask nicely the Owner Matt J will give you a tour of Fromme Mountain)

John Henry Bikes (Somewhere in North Vancouver, no reallyboutique options, but they do the regular stuff i.e. Spec and Norco at prices that will make your jaw hit the floor)

IMHO you ae much better off getting the bike in Vancouver, in Whistler you have to pay Whistler prices (shudders)
Thanks Australia!

Getting pumped. Will be in Whistler from 1-15 July and other surrounding areas for 2 weeks prior to Whistler.

pieno

Likes Dirt
And you much better off driving 100 kilometers to cross the border and buy a bike in Bellingham especially since the CAN & US dollar are about the same now. Take it for a quick ride and then it looks used so no tax coming back in.

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
Rocked up two days ago after a heap of stuffing around to get here from London. Slowly catching up one some sleep!

No job yet, no bikes, and no snowboard. What a sad state of affairs! haha

Any idea what the going price for a 2010 Demo 8 I in Vancouver is? Saw one for CAD$4099 in the village yesterday and was surprised to be honest.