CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Greyhound buses are the cheapest way to get around between Van/whistler/seattle- my wife and i just went to seattle for $35each return if you book it early enough. Hire companies WILL NOT hire to you if you are under 25 unless you work for a company that has a hire agreement with them (in 2003 I found this out the hard way, fortunately I then worked for BHP and they had an arrangement with Hertz).

All the buses around town have bike racks on the front and you can use your ticket unlimited times within a 2 hour period. There are always loads of guys shuttling seymour on weekends and you can quite often jag a seat with them. There is a cold beer store at the bottom of the trails and a good bike shop with a stupid aussie working there (me). It'll cost $3.75 during the week or $2.50 on weekends to get from downtown to any of the mountains. Cypress will require a bit more of an effort though. Seymour and Fromme have buses to the bottom of the trails. You can also hire bikes in North Van at my shop if need be...
Sweet, if your shop is within reach from the airport it might be worth dropping by for some info from an Aussie!

Looks like no driving around for me then.. Wow, is that all it costs, $3.75? Which mountains does that get you to (with bike) from Vancouver exactly? Are these prices available from Whistler to anywhere for a day trip? Since I'm there all season I wouldn't mind taking a few days off and coming down to Vancouver for couple of days to ride Cypress, Seymore, Fromme, Squamish, etc. Getting around is the main concern.

Does anyone ever mix it up a little by making a day trip from Whistler to Squamish (50ish mins)?

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
Any ideas on how to get insurance for my bike? Travel insurance will pay out a maximum of $1000 per item.

Ryan

Radministrator
Does anyone ever mix it up a little by making a day trip from Whistler to Squamish (50ish mins)?
Not even 50 minutes with the new highway all finished...yeeuw! :cool:

Definitely worth the day trip down here, but you'll need a vehicle to get the most out of it. You can catch the commuter bus from Whistler to Squamish for $5 and stick your bike on the rack on the front or you can catch the Greyhound for $15 and stick your bike underneath with the luggage, though it almost always gets it's own, empty, luggage bay.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
Not even 50 minutes with the new highway all finished...yeeuw! :cool:

Definitely worth the day trip down here, but you'll need a vehicle to get the most out of it. You can catch the commuter bus from Whistler to Squamish for $5 and stick your bike on the rack on the front or you can catch the Greyhound for $15 and stick your bike underneath with the luggage, though it almost always gets it's own, empty, luggage bay.
Thats awesome dude. I'll definately make a few trips down there! Do many people run shuttles I could jump on for $$$?

ademb

Likes Dirt
I think ill be using covermore for my insurance, if i book it through flight centre it comes out at $360 or something for the month after a 20% discount.

That covers my bike for $3000

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
Where do canadians get their downhill fix during the colder months? Snowboarding isnt a bad compromise but still, 6+ months with no downhill, enough to drive a man crazy...

A few people are complaining about the cost of tires in Canada. As a Canadian I love the tread prices over here. I figure the cost is due to most of the rubber and tires being made in Thailand and SE Asia which is closer to Australia than Canada. My theory at least.

I have flown with bikes a few times and I have never had my bike box weighed. I flew with a Norco Fuse which was a pig to begin with, but I packed the box with as much stuff as I could. My guess would have been 50 pounds or more. The only issues were make sure the bike is clean when you travel. Security guys don't want to see any dirt at all.
Take all the air out of the tires. I lowered the air pressure but apparently not enough for security and I had to unpack my bike to get an additional 10 psi out. Very annoying.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
see below in bold... Whistler opens on saturday. I'm building my 951 tomorrow. The sun has been shining, cant wait!

Sweet, if your shop is within reach from the airport it might be worth dropping by for some info from an Aussie! nah, its a bit out of the way for the whistler trip but if you are riding seymour then its right at the base of the trails, most riders park in the carpark for the shop when riding.

Looks like no driving around for me then.. Wow, is that all it costs, $3.75? each way that is...only $2.50 on weekends and after 6:30pm (doesnt get dark until 9 Which mountains does that get you to (with bike) from Vancouver exactly? All 3 depending on which bus you takeAre these prices available from Whistler to anywhere for a day trip?No, thats vancouver local transport only (train, seabus and buses all on the same ticket) Since I'm there all season I wouldn't mind taking a few days off and coming down to Vancouver for couple of days to ride Cypress, Seymore, Fromme, Squamish, etc. Getting around is the main concern.

MountainBikeMike

Likes Dirt
I have flown with bikes a few times and I have never had my bike box weighed. I flew with a Norco Fuse which was a pig to begin with, but I packed the box with as much stuff as I could. My guess would have been 50 pounds or more. The only issues were make sure the bike is clean when you travel. Security guys don't want to see any dirt at all.
Take all the air out of the tires. I lowered the air pressure but apparently not enough for security and I had to unpack my bike to get an additional 10 psi out. Very annoying.
I read on an eariler post (in this thread possibly?) that someone got away with a teeny bit of air in their tires because they were running tubeless... Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
Re other MTB parks to visit in BC

Just a question for the local BC riders,
Apart from Whistler, what's the next best MTB park that you'd recommend to hit-up if travelling to Canada. Thanks

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Im thinking of heading over for July and was wondering if anyone could provide a list of cheap places to stay. I have already looked at Ticket2RideBC and have been in contact with them, with a quote of approx. $900 for 27th June - 24th July.

If anybody could provide me with some alternatives that would be highly appreciated.

Ryan

Radministrator
Whistler employee housing is exactly one half of that in the summer and you don't have to 'actually' be Whistler staff to access it ($450/month for the cheaper, shittier located stuff in Glacier)

Check it out.

You'll share your living space with unsavoury pricks like S. but will avoid giving money to the poms at T2R in the process ;) (T2R are actually a pretty dope company, just for the record.)

Last edited:

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
You'll share your living space with unsavoury pricks like S. but will avoid giving money to the poms at T2R in the process ;) (T2R are actually a pretty dope company, just for the record.)
or live down the hall from him...
we lived in staff housing for 3 months last summer. moved in with 2 really good guys from perth and sydney. its a bit strange at 1st moving in with strangers but the people living in staff expect people to come and go so there used to it. plus they usualy have mates working in all the right places so if your good to them they can hook you up! i highly recomend staff, yeah its shitty and up a even shiter hill, unless you get into brio staff, but in summer its only a place to sleep as you never home... if your on a budget go to staff

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whistler employee housing is exactly one half of that in the summer and you don't have to 'actually' be Whistler staff to access it ($450/month for the cheaper, shittier located stuff in Glacier)

Check it out.

You have to stay at least one month... or so i was told.

Anyone been with bear back biking? thats who im going/staying with...

binner

Hath shat hymself
sheesh i need hydration

I'm thinking about taking bottled water to Canada.....Can you buy bottled water over there?...not sure. i can't live without EVIAN

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Just a question for the local BC riders,
Apart from Whistler, what's the next best MTB park that you'd recommend to hit-up if travelling to Canada. Thanks
All my Canuck friends who were spoiled enough to be over whistler used to love Silver Star