Can a trek 29er be used as downhill bike for someone just starting in the sport?

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
There is down hill then there is DOWNHILL.... I would imagine if just starting out you would be doing the former for a bit till your skills improved. Just tody I found a nice litle down hill section of track that was smooth, wide and had plenty of rolling jumps on the way down. I went down on my hardtail Specilized Carve Comp 29er and hd heaps of fun getting some air time.

Now when your talking DOWNHILL twisty singletrack and big jumps, very high speed, then a dual suspension bike would be the go.

Push a Trek hardtail 29er downhill fast and you'll soon find out it's limits.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Of course it can but it won't be great for long if you get faster.

One of the specialized riders is going to run his enduro 29er is the downhill world champs tonight.

Graves is on his 6" bike too so will be interesting.

If it's good enough for a world champs racer, it's good enough for a newbie !!

Shredden

Knows his goats
[video=youtube;umDr0mPuyQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc[/video]

In all seriousness, you can definitely do it, but it will not be a heap of fun. First time I rode DH was chairlifts at hotham when I was like 8, on a 24" trek with rim brakes. I loved it. Couple years later I bought my first "mountain bike", which I rode youies DH, buller, and beauty. It was this...

So yeah, give it a shot.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ride what ever you like mate - it will soon let you know it it aint capable - or you arent.

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
Apparently Darren Berrecloth cops shit for riding his AM 29er, the new AMB mag has him doing tables on a massive dirt quarter on one :twitch:. Not bad, if a little out of proportion.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Methinks the OP may be a troll .... Only two posts starting threads with the same question .... Nothing more.:tsk:

0psi

Eats Squid
Apparently Darren Berrecloth cops shit for riding his AM 29er, the new AMB mag has him doing tables on a massive dirt quarter on one :twitch:. Not bad, if a little out of proportion.
Old man Bender is also on a 29er these days. . . In his case I think the big wheels are certainly a help with his complete lack of talent.