Can America be fixed?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
There is no official definition as to what constitutes a mass shooting.

That article defines mass shooting as 5 dead excluding shooter, so they are playing politics with this one to get the desired outcome that THEY wanted.

Some people define mass shooting as more than 3 people getting shot with no requirements for fatalities.

Until we have a solid and agreed upon definition of what constitutes a mass shooting it is pointless to do studies as depending on the definition getting used for said study each study will come up with a different conclusion.

So yeah, that study is pointless and to further note you are more likely to die from medical malpractice than firearms, so i'd rather AMA and etc sort that issue out before getting on their high horse.
Jesus dude, way to ign...,,

Ah fuck it, whatever.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's OK. Once Trump gets the teachers armed, he's going to start providing flak jackets for all the good american citizens (eg whites) and let the rest sort themselves out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Coming from the lovely suburb of Plumpton (specifically Plumpton Marketplace shops) near my workplace, there is a LOT of very fat people in Sydney.
The Plumpton name can't help at all. I hear you though, Westpoint at Blacktown sure has some generously proportioned folks tempted all day with fast food.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
lol, I knew Plumpton when it was horse paddocks and mushroom farms.

Sounds like the only thing that has changed is quantities. Still full of large, dumb animals wallowing in their own filth.

My area, Belconnen is the same but is a little strange. It's gentrifying and the house prices are going through the roof. But if you go to the local Westfields, it may not be Mount Druit (or even close) but the average girth of folk is planetfuckingarian. My wife and I call it Fatconnen, the new normal is a bag of chips and a 750ml of coke. Blows me away.

My area has streets where 75% of the houses on the street are decent middle class but there's still the house here and there with the rusting commodore or gemini out the front with weeds up to your waste and some angry fuckwit who treats the neighbourhood streets like his own racetrack-cum-stress outlet in his broken-ass muffler falcon 6-pak.

Some one gonna eat a brick one day if things don't change.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
750ml? Your 'hood must be watching it's weight. One of my jobs is in a shopping centre. It is a shitty state of affairs when the healthiest meal option is sushi or a kebab. The place has an amazing power to crush people.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
This recent shooting seems to continue a sort of trend: licensed gun owner massacres family with licensed weapon.

I don’t think it can be compared to mass shootings such as port Arthur or Monash though. The target set is completely different, it’s in a private setting and the type of weapon used is much less relevant given the context. I’d suspect that an axe or knives could have been used to exactly the same effect.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Not that I consider myself any kind of expert in such things nor can I provide any reference material but I seem to remember reading something about the availability of a firearm increasing the likelihood in this situation due to the relative detachment associated in comparison to the personal close quarters required with an axe or knife.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Look if axes and knives killed people as efficiently , guns wouldnt have been invented.
I don’t mean to be a dick but that is unworkably simplistic for this particular context. Battle fields, shopping centers, schools and music concerts, yes, agreed. But family homes where the killer is some one familiar and the majority targets are kids, no.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have no reference, but articles I have read in the very recent past tell us that Australians are comfortably as obese as Americans.

Coming from the lovely suburb of Plumpton (specifically Plumpton Marketplace shops) near my workplace, there is a LOT of very fat people in Sydney.
"Today 30% are considered obese by that measure and another 30% are overweight.
By 2025, 80% of Australians are expected to be overweight or obese. "
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/tipping-the-scales/9712342

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not that I consider myself any kind of expert in such things nor can I provide any reference material but I seem to remember reading something about the availability of a firearm increasing the likelihood in this situation due to the relative detachment associated in comparison to the personal close quarters required with an axe or knife.
I've seen similar information. It is a terrible and gruesome outcome no matter how it is done, but the difference between say striking someone with a hammer while they sleep vs shooting them from across the room must play out in the perpetrators's mind (which of itself is already in a disturbed state). There also seems to be a difference between the way men and women carry out this type of homicide.

There is similar discussion about suicide as well.