Can you install a stealth dropper post on a Specialized Enduro Comp? Yes.

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
Can you install a stealth dropper post on a Specialized Enduro Comp? Yes.

I thought I would post this up for those that are interested as I’ve had someone ask me recently. At the time I bought my 2014 Specialized Enduro Comp 29, it wasn’t exactly clear if it would accept a stealth dropper post. Well the answer is yes, it does perfectly. I don’t think the previous year’s models have the hole in the frame but you can still check. The Enduro still has a pretty clean method to run a non stealth version that enters the frame near the head tube and exits where the shock is.

On the down tube there are a number of “bats” that hold the cables / brake lines up against the down tube. Ps. It is Specialized who calls them “bats”.

The last bat on the down tube closest to the bottom bracket covers up an exit hole. If you peel back the bat, a hole will be exposed. This is where a stealth line pops through and routes back up the down tube like the other cables.

If you like things neat and tidy then you’ll need to source a set of 4-cable bats from a Specialized store as the ones on the frame only caters for three cables. I was able to get them easily from my Specialized reseller. Even if you have removed the front derailleur don’t be tempted to run the 3 cable bat as the bats have varying thickness guides in them for different cable widths.

Google “2014 fsr owner's manual” and download the first PDF. Page 3 has a picture of the different bats: 3 cable vs 4 cable to see what I mean. You need the 4-cable versions to run a stealth post.

From memory when I installed a Reverb Stealth six months ago, these are some tips:

• Make sure you have the special friction paste to stop your seat tube sliding / rotating as you can only torque them quite lightly. Check the manufacturer specs.
  • If you are installing a Reverb, make sure you have an old brake line handy to feed the main line through. Also RockShox have good videos online on how to install. Watch them over and over before starting.
  • Make sure that the seat tube collar is on the seat tube before feeding in the line. They miss this part in the videos.
  • Make sure that you feed the line through the hole of the bat when you feed it out of the frame.

So there you go, if ever wanted to know if you can install a stealth dropper post on a Specialized Enduro Comp, then yes you can. Hope this all helps.

On a separate but related matter I spent a year on a infinitely adjustable dropper post (RockShox Reverb) and now 6 months on a 3-position dropper post (Specialized Command Post IR) and all I can say is that a 3-position post is 100 times better than an infinitely adjustable one. It was impossible to lower my seat by an inch or two when riding on the RockShock Reverb as it was either too high or too low going all over the place whereas it is super easy to do on the Command Post IR. Sold. The Rerverb though in the year I had it was superbly reliable. The Command has been perfect so far too, just remember to check the air pressure once every few months.

Cheers,
Adrian

Kezman

Cannon Fodder
Hose length.

Hi, I liked reading what you posted, it has been very helpful. I have a 2015 Enduro 29er and was wondering how long your hose was for the Stealth dropper post, if you can remember it would ver helpful, thanx.