Canberra Centenary Trail in a day

lewis84 lewis84

Likes Dirt
Ha! How long are you there for? I am arriving with family on the 26th.
Ahh, miss you by a day! We had planned on staying a week but other commitments came up . That would have been great, are you guys doing Stromlo?

You could go the reverse direction to me and take bike paths from Stromlo, over Black Mtn to Bruce and then take the bike path into Civic?
Depends where you're staying
We are staying at the Ibis in Narrabundah. Would be cool to bike back to the motel. Is it much of a slog over Black Mtn?
Cheers, Chris

Ackland

chats d'élevage
We are staying at the Ibis in Narrabundah.
In that case, you would go the way I did it but it would be a fair distance back to your accom....
Check the strava file link or visit the Centenary Trail website to get the google earth file and see for yourself.

Canberra is a maze of bike paths, I'm sure there is a more direct route if that's what you want

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Ahh, miss you by a day! We had planned on staying a week but other commitments came up . That would have been great, are you guys doing Stromlo?

We are staying at the Ibis in Narrabundah. Would be cool to bike back to the motel. Is it much of a slog over Black Mtn?
Cheers, Chris
I am planning on doing everything I can in Canberra. Will probably stick up a thread to make sure I don't miss anything.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I am planning on doing everything I can in Canberra. Will probably stick up a thread to make sure I don't miss anything.
Can you get that thread happening today? I'll be there in October and would love to know of the stuff before I get there. Send me a link cobber! ;)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
If anyone wants a GPX file, go to ridewithgps.com, register yourself, then search in canberra for centenary and there are a whole heap of people who have registered a track and you can just download the GPX track for their planned route.

I use MotionX-gps as my app on an iPhone - $3 app, ride with gps is free and a good ride planner

pliskin

Likes Dirt
I think I may have mentioned gates..... :fencing:

How annoying are they? I was at the stage where I didn't even check whether they could be opened or not.
It's not really great when you're just getting into a rhythm and BANG blind corner to gate....

Also the climbing over wasn't doing my hamstrings any favours towards the end
yeah i did see your original post, i was just letting others know how many there were.
for me it was more the fact i had to lift my wife's bike over each bloody gate too.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did this yesterday with a couple of mates. What a blast! Heaps of variety, some really nice single track, you get to see parliament, war memorial, etc. Highly recommended. We took 11hrs with around 8.5 hrs moving.

Navigated using the official GPS trace which was pretty easy. One or two tricky bits, especially around Stromlo but otherwise all good.

Oh and I won't mention the 3 thousand gates you have to lift your bike over.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Oh and I won't mention the 3 thousand gates you have to lift your bike over.
That's a slight exaggeration mate .... it's called the Centenary Trail 'cause there's only a hundred of them.

.... speaking of which. I was out doing an easy Nth side loop on Tuesday and got picked up by Dan Mac and Bec Henderson as I was negotiating one of said gates. Thought Dan paid particular attention to my style negotiating the gate .... I let them go through and jumped in behind for 50m .......

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
That's a slight exaggeration mate .... it's called the Centenary Trail 'cause there's only a hundred of them.

.... speaking of which. I was out doing an easy Nth side loop on Tuesday and got picked up by Dan Mac and Bec Henderson as I was negotiating one of said gates. Thought Dan paid particular attention to my style negotiating the gate .... I let them go through and jumped in behind for 50m .......
jumping gates - geez Steve sounds like it's time for you to get a CX bike too! :)