Canberra Magpies …?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Hey, we have next week off and could go to any number of mountain bike destinations… Blores Hill, Buxton, Lake Mountain, Forrest, Tathra, etc… or we could visit the eldest daughter in Canberra too…

BUT… although my Darl is game for whatever mtb riding she can have a go at… she is terrified of magpies. Every September, she forgoes her endless adventuresness and rides the same magpie free loop, until the little blighters have fucked off.

Me, I’m happy to drive to the city of roundabouts, as get to see my eldest… and I really loved riding Stromlo recently and would like to ride Bruce Ridge and Sparrow Hill again and maybe try Majura Pines.

Does anyone here know whether the little black and white blighters are swooping at any of those tracks? If they are not, it sure would make our time off a lot less stressful.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I have never been swooped at any of those places. Generally in among the trees you have no dramas with magpies in Canberra.

There are a number of super aggressive buggers along various roads, but on the single track you will be fine. I'm not sure whether they have even started swooping yet. Have not personally had an encounter with any this spring.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I got swooped on the weekend, but in the suburbs. You'll be fine on the trails.

xcs7

Cannon Fodder
Took my junker for a maiden voyage across town yesterday and got swooped by 4 different magpies. Was not expecting that! People in cars were laughing on the busy road and man they are aggressive around here. Pecking me on the cheek / ear. One of them kept at it for about 200 metres. Whats the solution?

On my way to visit the Lbs today the tables were turned and I was in a car driving past the same vicious sucker. Sure enough he's swooping another cyclist. I must admit I had a little giggle. :D

Flint

Likes Dirt
Also never been swooped on any trails in 12 years of Canberra MTB riding. Just stay away from any open areas and suburban bike paths / parks.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
http://www.magpiealert.com/ is the site you need!

There are a couple out at Kowen Forest that swooped me a couple of weeks back, but they weren't real serious about it - no contact made at all. Rode Sparrow last weekend, didn't have any issues. Same with Stromlo, never been swooped out there.

The info on the site's not going to be 100% of course, but I've found it to be pretty damn good.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Stromlo has a lack of large trees, have never been swooped out there
Majura is mostly thick pine plantation trees, all good there
Bruce is all native bush. getting more popular, so I would imaging the maggies are getting a little frisky - but in saying that, I have never been swooped out there

BucketBest

Cannon Fodder
I got swooped out at Kowen last weekend, in the open area at the bottom of Last Call. I hate being swooped, but it wasn't too bad. Didn't make contact, but it followed me pretty much until I got back in to the trees near Miss Jane.

T-Rex

Template denier
Up here in Sydney they have just got started. On my lunchtime road loop I've found two so far that are doing what comes naturally, attacking cyclists, a bit like the Sydney media.

I'm trying a new technique of stopping and feeding them. I've got a little plastic baggie with offcuts of beef, mostly fat. The seem to like it.

Apparently they are pretty smart (Talking about the Maggies, not the media) and soon figure out that there's no point attacking you if you are there to feed them.

Early days, I've only managed to feed each one once.

And like others, I've never been swooped at Stromlo, only on the bike paths riding out there from the In-Laws in Deakin.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Thanks, youse Canberrans... but we've pulled the pin on roundabout city and are going to Cairns instead... so Smithfield it is.

Haakon

Up here in Sydney they have just got started. On my lunchtime road loop I've found two so far that are doing what comes naturally, attacking cyclists, a bit like the Sydney media.

I'm trying a new technique of stopping and feeding them. I've got a little plastic baggie with offcuts of beef, mostly fat. The seem to like it.

Apparently they are pretty smart (Talking about the Maggies, not the media) and soon figure out that there's no point attacking you if you are there to feed them.

Early days, I've only managed to feed each one once.

And like others, I've never been swooped at Stromlo, only on the bike paths riding out there from the In-Laws in Deakin.
Let us know how you go cultivating loyalty with your feathery friends :)

http://media.crikey.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Magpies.jpg

Haakon

Thanks, youse Canberrans... but we've pulled the pin on roundabout city and are going to Cairns instead... so Smithfield it is.
If you have time, go to Atherton. Smithfield is ok but not a patch on Stromlo and I'd rate Atherton as even better.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I say this with 100% confidence - Your safe from swooping if you stick to the main mtb parks and stray no further. I've been swooped 6 times this week but all riding through the burbs to get to the trails, there's a particularly deadly one on Cotter road if your riding into Stromlo, otherwise all good.

Haakon

Got done again today on the roadie. The little buggers sure are having fun this time of year!