Canberra Times article - road cyclists, coffee and sweaty bottoms

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure I don't deposit bum sweat when I sit down, my jersey get a bit stinky tho.

Seriously if the cafe is overrun by cyclists and they get up your nose (excuse the pun) why not go to the next cafe? I'm pretty sure the cafe owner doesn't mind the cyclists. And the crutch area of a cyclist, you only actually see the crutch if you're looking; what else does one expect to see?

Cyclist hate is just the next acceptable discrimination. These people can't rant about ethnic minorities or homosexuals anymore, cyclists are the next best thing I suppose...

Capone

Likes Dirt
Im not really sold on wearing lycra to be part of the cool club.

Dont mind getting out on the roadie but its baggies and SPD's for me

Klips

Likes Dirt
A summary of the complaints:

- we take up the roads which we don't pay for (except that nearly all of us do)
- we look unattractive in lycra, which offends other people (which should be our problem)
- we don't move back the furniture in cafes (because, you know, it's so hard to move it)
- we should all have mandatory licence plates so cops can chase down the poor road users and fine them (because, you know, that totally happens when cyclists complain about cars. Oh, and they're not busy enough already)
- we are objecitonable for unspecified reasons

It's a good chance to introduce people to the Good Roads Movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Roads_Movement) which defeats the argument that cars are the main reason for roads.

Also, can we rejoice that a reasonably sized newspaper not only did a positive feature article about cyclists on its front page, it also then continued it inside *and* did a feature in the liftout on why cycling and coffee are inherently bonded? I certainly didn't think I'd see the day that happened.

PS: first post (yay), but been lurking for a while. Roadie slowly discovering the light of XC.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not really sold on wearing lycra to be part of the cool club.

Dont mind getting out on the roadie but its baggies and SPD's for me
Sorry, it is not about being part of the "cool club" as you put it.
It is basically about using the right gear for the sport.
Like wearing football boots for playing football, flippers for scuba diving, DT's for competitive swimming, white gear for cricket.
you would not say, "bugger it, I will just wear baggie shorts" for any of thos sports so why do people insist on doing it for road cycling?

I personally could not imagine punching out 100km or so in boardies and being comfortable.

Then again, do what you like I guess, but dont make out that those of us who wear lycra are doing it to be part of some non-existent club.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is it as soon as the word Cyclist is used in a newspaper article filthy bogans suddenly arrive to post hate?

Capone

Likes Dirt
Like wearing football boots for playing football, flippers for scuba diving, DT's for competitive swimming, white gear for cricket.
you would not say, "bugger it, I will just wear baggie shorts" for any of thos sports so why do people insist on doing it for road cycling?

I personally could not imagine punching out 100km or so in boardies and being comfortable.

Then again, do what you like I guess, but dont make out that those of us who wear lycra are doing it to be part of some non-existent club.
Recent road bike convert and manager of the The Cyclery, Matthew Hateley said he was quick to adopt the skin-tight look after swapping his mountain bike for a roadster. ''As well as it being practical, if you don't wear the Lycra you look completely out of place,'' he said. ''I haven't started shaving my legs, though.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...this-ritual-20121121-29qnm.html#ixzz2CtwH8xXp

Yes this comment doesn't lead me to believe its being part of fitting in. If they had said Lycra is required becasue of A,B and C reasons then case closed but no he said its practical but if you don't wear it you won't fit in. Riding is about riding and while its great to see the Labor/Greens daily newspaper push acceptance for the sport, having a wanky list of things you have to have is going to create more damage than good, why because it makes cyclists look like a pack of cashed up wankers

wilddemon

Likes Dirt

agreed.

relax, no one is going to look at your wee wee, much. And once you try lycra you'll know why we wear it.

Beside, once you have kids you wear whatever you like. You've already procreated, there's no need to maintain some "image" of cool.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Bibs and road cleats for road riding makes sense over a long distance. Riding in close fitting padded shorts when you're riding 100-200kms make a huge difference to your comfort level, it also makes you more aerodynamic by cutting down on clothes flapping about.

Road cleats have a larger contact patch on the bottom of the shoe and I find they distribute the weight of your body more evenly than spds which have a tendency to concentrate your weight into a more central location. That doesnt matter when your offroad as you're very rarely sitting and spinning but when you're on the road bike for hours it seems to make a comfort difference for me. Anytime you are more comfortable you're more efficient and as a bonus having more fun so bike shorts and road cleats for road riding for me!

Having said that up until recently I was commuting 50km return and I did that in jeans or shorts depending on the weather and converse all stars. You dont need to gear up to ride but there are times when it certainly helps.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
agreed.

relax, no one is going to look at your wee wee, much. And once you try lycra you'll know why we wear it.

Beside, once you have kids you wear whatever you like. You've already procreated, there's no need to maintain some "image" of cool.
Agreed, if I wanted to look cool, I would probably not be wearing lycra OR riding a bike full stop.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Agreed, if I wanted to look cool, I would probably not be wearing lycra OR riding a bike full stop.
Exactly! I dont look cool in lycra I can tell you! In fact my wife pretty much wont be seen with me when I gear up for the road rides, my kids think I look "weird" and my dog barks at me like an intruder when i clip clop back through the door after a ride.

0psi

Eats Squid
And right here sums up whats wrong with the world, nobody has any respect for anyone else anymore. What normal person thinks it's okay to show up somewhere smelly and covered in sweat to somewhere that others are trying to enjoy a nice brekkie? It's right up there with parents that ignore their crying baby while having breakfast, plain fuggin inconsiderate.

Want a coffee after a ride? Why not go to someone's house? Every self respecting cyclist has an espresso machine at home.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure what happens where you live but I can tell you many coffee shops in Brisbane would not have a breakfast clientele if it was not for the stinky roadies, runners, triathletes, boot campers etc. I am convinced that some actually only open due to the fact that they get these early morning groups.
We recently showed up to our usual coffee shop to find a Reserved sign on our usual table.
It had been reserved for us by the shop owner.

0psi

Eats Squid
Fair point. I guess it's a different story if the cafe is known as an athlete hang out, most of the cafes around here aren't and it's usually just the odd runner/cyclist that shows up.

I went to a cafe after a race not long ago and I've never felt more self conscious in my life.

swanny81

Likes Bikes
Maybe everyone is overthinking this all a little bit.

Want to ride a road bike? Go ahead.
Don't want to? No problem.
Want to wear lycra? Sure thing.
Don't want to? No worries.

If you have an issue with cyclists in a cafe, I'm sure a quick word to the owner is the best way to sort it out.
It's business FFS. They aren't going to kick 10 paying customers out because they think they should be in baggies rather than lycra...