Canberra Trail Conditions

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

Due to all the rain here in Sydney, I think I need a road trip to do some riding. So question is how are the trails at Sparrows and Stromlo at the moment? I'm thinking of heading down after the racing on Friday night, or early Saturday morning and spending the weekend doing Sparrows/Majura and Stromlo. Any advice on conditions would be great.

Cheers
Dunk

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Stromlo Trail Conditions

Not too sure about Sparrow as I haven't been out there for a while, but the condition of the Stromlo trail is the best it's every been. I went for a lap of the 15km XC loop on Saturday and the surface is really starting to pack down hard. The rain has washed away alot of the loose sand that was on the corners, and given that it will still be sticky from the rain this week you will find yourself hitting alot of the corners nice and fast.

Alot of the sections of the trail that have up until recently been rock-strewn are still mostly cleared due to the last working bee we ran (in which we groomed alot of the trails and in the process removed all the loose crappy stuff). There are a few solid nuggets that have rolled down onto the tracks in the last two weeks due to this funny stuff falling from the sky so if you come across a potential hazard just kick it down the hill.

There are only a few boggy spots on the sections that I rode, the most noticable being on the last bit of s'track back to the event centre (below Homeview Junction). If you see a guy out there on the weekend with a shovel that will be me fixing this latter section.

A full map of ALL the trails currently at Stromlo is available at:

http://www.corc.asn.au/images/maps/map_stromlo.pdf

Astro

...jim

skanky media ho
Sparrow should be pretty good as well. Despite the lack of climbing the bulk of the trails are well built on slopes, so they drain pretty well. While we don't really have the expierece of Sparrows after a lot of prolonged rain (ie: rain on waterlogged soil hasn't happened here for something like 5 years) every time I've been out there lately I've come across a grand total of about two puddles.

Majura is likely to be fine on the upper tracks, but possibly getting boggy on some of the tracks closer to the road where the terrain is flatter.

Forecast looks good for the weekend so I can confidnetly say you'll find somewhere to have a ball, just bring some layers.

I'd be bookin', but I don't have to!

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks like Draggsy is in, waiting for Spoonboy and Alchemist to respond. How about a house swap then, you could take Dreggsy's room and saty with Mr Pant's:D