Canberra trails - Majura and Mt Stromlo

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm heading to Thredbo in late March with an overnight stop in Canberra. I'll have my trail bike with me to do the Thredbo Enduro with Rocky Trail Entertainment so my intention is to do a few hours at Majura Pines on the way in then Mt Stromlo after lunch somewhere and I'm after some advice please guys. ;)
I want to ride the descents, not the easy XC loops and boring stuff. I haven't ridden Majura since the road went through the middle but have ridden and raced downhill there in the past. Please let me know what the fun trails are and what you recommend to cram into three hours riding.
The same goes for STromlo; I've ridden the downhill course in 2009 but not the flow trails etc. Please give me an idea of what trails I must do while I'm there in the arvo.
For anyone interested, I'd be keen to say G'day and even have a beer after riding later in the day. There's a place in Manuka that I get a red hot steak at, the Kingston Hotel I think it's called.
Thanks lads. ;)

doihoi

Likes Dirt
Majura:
Barry to Planet Claire
Barry to Rock Lobster

Then you can go ride to the other side and climb Mr Squiggle and go down Pinot something can't remember the name

Stromlo:
Vapour down to Luge or to the 2nd part of the DH track
Wedgetail >> Skyline >> Luge >> Old Duffy
Wedgetail >> Pork Barrel >> Double Dissolution

Only downside, you have to climb to the top :(

peanut

Likes Dirt
Majura:
Barry to Planet Claire
Barry to Rock Lobster

Then you can go ride to the other side and climb Mr Squiggle and go down Pinot something can't remember the name

Stromlo:
Vapour down to Luge or to the 2nd part of the DH track
Wedgetail >> Skyline >> Luge >> Old Duffy
Wedgetail >> Pork Barrel >> Double Dissolution

Only downside, you have to climb to the top :(
I'd add roller coaster >>slick rock >>pork>> double d or party line .
If you like steep & raw there's a new descent combo of western wedge >>short & sharp >>black snake, if your feeling sadistic then try the new climb up black snake to the top of western wedge, much harder than cardiac.

Last edited:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
arr, I'll be heading to thredbo friday, before the rollercoaster, especially if they do the cheap lift pass thing again... and may or may not be available thurs arv. If I am up for a pre thredbo ride, I'll PM you.

Lots of good ideas already :)

Majura = flow trails, all of them. Stromlo, the sneaky steep track is really fun (down wedgetail, left off the first right hander after the road, through the gate, you'll see), as is vapour -> DH. You can turn off and do vapour -> g20 -> DH as well. Pork barrel is fun though :). Rollercoaster -> slick rock is also fun, but different - it's harder to go fast on.

Last edited:

ForkeSeal

Likes Bikes
If you have an iPhone the Roam MTB app has 3D maps for Stromlo and Majura.

[video=youtube;V36mv8Gih58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V36mv8Gih58[/video]