Cane Creek DBCoil INLINE - anyone had experience?

sukebe

Likes Dirt
I'm a 40yo XC/trail rider on a XL Norco Sight, I ride the bike hard but well within its designed purpose and my DBInline shock keeps failing (note I am ~90-92kg with gear). Its in for warranty again, 3rd time this year. As a result of failing 3 times, Cane Creek have offered me one of their new DBCoil Inline shocks for cost price.

Does anyone have experience on the DBCoil Inline? Note that this a new shock from CC (not the piggy back coil), its only been out a few months.

From a descending perspective I'm sure it would be awesome but I have reservations about how it will climb. I've tried a RS Monarch on the bike and it climbs WAAAAY better than the DBInline but is less forgiving on descents. The DBInline is acceptable climbing and I wouldn't want to lose any climbing performance (otherwise I'll just stick with the Monarch).

Ideas? Opinions?

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I've just put a DB Coil IL on my SB6.
I've had one ride so far to get it dialled in, so it's not at optimum setup yet.
So far, from ride 1, i have a couple of observations. (Coming from a Fox Float X with Evol can)
1. It is unbelievably plush. Absolutely zero stiction throughout the travel. Corner grip and chunder on downhill sections are eaten up by this thing. The corner grip is something I wasn't expecting.
2. This is a lot heavier than my Float, so much so that I can notice it while pedalling it. Fox is about 440g and CC coil (steel 400lb spring) is 760g. I'll go with a Ti or Valt spring once I'm happy with the spring rate which should reduce the weight by ~150g.
3. There is more pedal bob- but the CS works well, very well in fact. It's not a lock out, but firms up the rebound. Its tracks small bumps on Tech climbs very well. For me, the extra Bob is worth the sacrifice for the additional grip and plushness.
4. It's a lot of shock for an XC/Trail bike. Too much IMO. You will lose some climbing efficiency, but that's a trait of any linear coil shock.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I haven't tried the coil inline, but just interested in your comment that you thought the climbing was better on the monarch?
The biggest thing I found going from a monarch to a db inline was the the climb switch was so much better on the cane creek. My up hill times improved far more than the down hill. Was your climb switch working correctly?

allthewaydown

Likes Bikes
The DBInline shock is unreliable, CC have mentioned a quality control problem amongst their suppliers. Anyway, NS dynamics do a warranty upgrade to the new DBair CS for $170, which is also an option! i've not ridden the DBcoil shock.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
The DBInline shock is unreliable, CC have mentioned a quality control problem amongst their suppliers. Anyway, NS dynamics do a warranty upgrade to the new DBair CS for $170, which is also an option! i've not ridden the DBcoil shock.
Cane Creek have held their hand up and admitted reliability issues. They have also changed the design of the air model. New seal head design and seals.
I'd imagine any new db inline air would have the new design. A warranty replacement should be the new model or at least the new seal head and seals.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I haven't tried the coil inline, but just interested in your comment that you thought the climbing was better on the monarch?
The biggest thing I found going from a monarch to a db inline was the the climb switch was so much better on the cane creek. My up hill times improved far more than the down hill. Was your climb switch working correctly?
I think people expect the CC CS to work the same as Rockshox and Fox lock out does. They still feel some pedal bob under climbing and feel the climb mode isn't working.
I was surprised at how much traction I had while climbing with the coil.... I was expecting an energy sapping slog.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
I'm guessing you are a lightweight? Yep, climb switch worked well, just nowhere near as well at the Monarch (std aircan, not debonair). Even with three large volume reducers, less sag than stock and a tune with a focus on climbing and being more 'poppy' on descents, it still sat too deep in the travel while climbing and would bog down on high torque technical climbing moves. The monarch sits up nicely and pushes you up ledges where the db in line follows the contour more.

I spent Melbourne Cup weekend in Tas, smashed everything in Derby and around Mt Wellington. The shock was great descending but a bit of a chore on the long climbs. Then by the end of 5 days of riding it had started leaking oil (again! ) and the climb switch was sticking.

Im thinking to take the upgrade offer from Cane Creek and keep the coil in line for Mt Buller / Falls Creek / Derby etc trips and ride the Monarch on my everyday trails around Melbs.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'm guessing you are a lightweight? Yep, climb switch worked well, just nowhere near as well at the Monarch (std aircan, not debonair). Even with three large volume reducers, less sag than stock and a tune with a focus on climbing and being more 'poppy' on descents, it still sat too deep in the travel while climbing and would bog down on high torque technical climbing moves. The monarch sits up nicely and pushes you up ledges where the db in line follows the contour more.

I spent Melbourne Cup weekend in Tas, smashed everything in Derby and around Mt Wellington. The shock was great descending but a bit of a chore on the long climbs. Then by the end of 5 days of riding it had started leaking oil (again! ) and the climb switch was sticking.

Im thinking to take the upgrade offer from Cane Creek and keep the coil in line for Mt Buller / Falls Creek / Derby etc trips and ride the Monarch on my everyday trails around Melbs.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't come across as the ideal candidate for a coil shock. By nature of the coil, they will bob and won't climb as well as an air shock, and weigh heaps more.
If you want a tunable shock that does everything, is light and climbs well, buy a Float X2.

Last edited:

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't come across as the ideal candidate for a coil shock. By nature of the coil, they will bob and won't climb as well as an air shock, and weigh heaps more.
If you want a tunable shock that does everything, is light and climbs well, buy a Float X2.

All good, appreciate the detailed feedback! The only reason I'm even considering it is because my db inline has failed 3 times and CC have offered me the warranty upgrade. They suggested that my weight and (apparent) riding style would better suit the coil inline. Otherwise I'll just continue to keep blowing up the db inline.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt

I'm about 80kg so not too lightweight but it probably plays a part.

What you describe I actually totally agree with so I think it's more to do with riding style. I run my shock with a bit more sag than standard. It's the way the shock still tracks and moves compared to the monarch that allows me to climb faster due to more traction. The monarch just stiffened up the compression so did sit higher up but also kind of just bounced of rocks/roots rather than track them.

But like I say I reckon it's down to riding style rather than better/worse. Mate of mine rides his shock fully locked up hill and won't have it any other way. But as said above that would suggest the coil inline might not suit you. Maybe get it and trade it for a monarch plus?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
All good, appreciate the detailed feedback! The only reason I'm even considering it is because my db inline has failed 3 times and CC have offered me the warranty upgrade. They suggested that my weight and (apparent) riding style would better suit the coil inline. Otherwise I'll just continue to keep blowing up the db inline.
If I was in your situation, I would be demanding the new version of the CC Inline Air. They seemed to have fixed the issues with it now.

https://www.dirtlabs.com/cane-creek-inline-updates/