Canfield Nimble 9, with all the trimmings.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I did intend on doing a build thread for this latest project but I got a little excited and jumped the gun!

I'm certainly not a one bike kind of guy. In fact I have a nice little quiver of bikes in the shed, one for uphill, one for downhill, one for training (covered in cobwebs). But the little hardtail that I built to ride to the pub soon became a firm favourite. I soon gave up on replacing the cheap parts in odd sizes and decided to try something totally new!

Frame – 2015 Canfield Nimble 9, Large. AKA Blue Steel.
Rear shock - Not this time!
Front fork - RockShox Pike RCT3 140mm 29'
Wheelset - Nextie Carbon Rims with DT240 Hubs and SuperComp Spokes (front wheel to be swapped out)
Handlebars - Raceface 35x800mm Sixc Carbon
Stem - 50mm Easton Haven
Headset - Cane Creek 40
Grips - Odi Vans in Brown
Saddle - Cromag Brown Leather
Seatpost - Specialized Dropper
Brakes - Shimano XT, with IceTec 180mm rotors
Cranks - Truvative Noir Carbon W/Absolute Black 32 tooth ring
Chain - Shimano XT
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT
Rear shifter - Shimano XT
Cassette - Shimano XT
Pedals - Shimano XT

The Nimble is a lovely ride. Dances through turns like a ballerina and moto’s across the rough like an MX bike. A BIG thankyou to Rob at Crankin.net.au for supplying the frame and rims and spending waayyy too much time answering stupid questions. It’s nice dealing with someone that obviously has the same passion for bikes as you do!

Attachments

slowmick

38-39"
Very nice bike. spent a lot of time looking at these, Honzos and ROS9. Beautiful build - enjoy riding her. :thumb:

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I also have spent a LOT of time looking at those bikes and I love this one!

Great colour choice too. I havn't ridden one yet myself, but I'm slowly building up my Scott Scale 29er and waiting to break the frame so I can buy one of these.

More pics of it in action, or out and about? Any idea on final weight?

Its exactly what I'm after! Same size and everything..

If you decide to ride yourself of its sinful flesh. Please PM me first.

-Shaun

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Ha! I love the colour too, but I really wanted it in Chrome so I could add a bunch of purple and gold parts to it for the full 'retro' look. Unfortunately Canfield ran out of stock so I picked the blue.
No complaints now though. The blue has this lovely candy, sparkly finish to it. Couldn't be happier!

As for Action pic's, here is some unplanned fork testing I did at a DH race last weekend after screwing up the drop.
Racing a hardtail is no way to DH glory, but it's a hell of a lot of fun!

Attachments

sweet bike

It's a great looking rig, looks nice and tidy.
Was looking at a Honzo in the shop the other day, look similar with that low stand over.
I have liked the look of the Nimble for a while now.
Would be a great choice for a SS 29r.
Which is on the wishlist.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
The Honzo looks like a comparable bike. Sortta, half a degree different here or there, but just as much fun. I may have ended up with one but a mate bought it first, and there is no way I was going to have the same thing! I'll give it a try as soon as I get the chance.

I'd also love to spend a little time on a decent 650b hardtail. Compare the two wheel sizes on some similar terrain. There is a beautiful Production Privee frame in the buy and sell forums. But it'd be a pretty damm expensive experiment!

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Sweet looking rig the Nimble! I thought that blue was going to come out a little too much "baby blue" in a lot of the photos of them online, but it really has a nice finish in person.

Now that I broke my Yeti Dogbone (again!) I'm back on the Honzo for a little while, with a dropper now, although not really feeling the need for it just yet. We'll have to hit the trails this week and sort out which bike is boss.