Can't decide new rig yeti or lapierre

a.viktor1781

Cannon Fodder
Hi guys and girls

New to the forums so be gentle. I'm at my wits end on making up my mind in what my new rig will be for my all mountain riding.

I'm moving on from my old fsr stumpy to either a yeti sb66 alloy or lapierre 514 carbon. I have been a fan boy of yeti for years but the lapierre I can get for much cheaper but with less specs.

I have ridden only the yeti sb95 in alloy also can't ride these bikes as these are interstate. I have searched the net and both bikes review very well but no one really puts yeti and lapierre on a bike vs?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
No question... SB66 for the win. Presuming they'll be pre owned (as they don't make the 66 anymore) I'd be sticking to alloy also.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I am going to take a stab in the dark and say your REALLY like crack.
I wouldn't recommend any Ei on the lapierres.

SB66 would be my choice

haritone

Likes Dirt
I'd say your choice will more likely come down to what bike you can get since neither are available new.
Both bikes received rave reviews on their release, and whilst I haven't rode a Zesty my friend has one and loves it. I have the SB66A and absolutely love it also.

Don't think you can go wrong either way.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
If your heart says Yeti, get the Yeti. You can upgrade parts over time but you never erase the feeling of wishing you had've bought your dream bike when you had a chance.

a.viktor1781

Cannon Fodder
Both are second hand but the lapierre is near new and non ei model. The yeti is better speecd shock wise, groupo and wheels with usual wear and tear

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I'd be hesitant to buy either without lbs warranty support.(or a really solid relationship with the local agent).
Lazierre composite have a reputation for not being the most robust frames around.
Yeti have a history of making replaceable rear triangles and I believe that bike runs a superseded pivot/linkage that you may struggle to get parts for.

Last edited:

As18258

Squid
lapierre

if I was you I would go with the lapierre they are not as solid descender but they climb well and if it is near new there Is less wear and less things to break.

specialized32

Likes Bikes
Just an update I ended up getting the sb66 alloy but now I want to upgrade some parts (new 36 fork) and LB carbon wheelset. The frame itself is in near new condition with new enduro bearings and switch seals.

However my lbs are really pissing me off when I ask for some knowledge on some of the mechanics or opinions on products, I get the typical "26 is retro you should just upgrade" or no shit this exactly said "don't waste your time sell it and we'll give you deal on this"

Are you f$&kn kidding me? When did they become car salesman? Don't know now maybe there right? but I'm still saving upgrading than I am going and buying a brand new frame or bike.

And on another note f&$ck Yeti for making no alloy variants in the 5c and 6c what a joke I would be broke by the time I even bought the frame!

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just an update I ended up getting the sb66 alloy but now I want to upgrade some parts (new 36 fork) and LB carbon wheelset. The frame itself is in near new condition with new enduro bearings and switch seals.

However my lbs are really pissing me off when I ask for some knowledge on some of the mechanics or opinions on products, I get the typical "26 is retro you should just upgrade" or no shit this exactly said "don't waste your time sell it and we'll give you deal on this"

Are you f$&kn kidding me? When did they become car salesman? Don't know now maybe there right? but I'm still saving upgrading than I am going and buying a brand new frame or bike.

And on another note f&$ck Yeti for making no alloy variants in the 5c and 6c what a joke I would be broke by the time I even bought the frame!
Dont wast you cash on carbon rims and new hubs , if your hubs are good/ok just keep them going . Get a new wider rim if you really need it . Carbon rims are too unreliable = $ . If you do blow up that carbon rim and then go " Im going back to alloy " guess what ? you cant use the same spoke as the carbon rim it take a shorter spoke = $70/$ 100 per wheel then labour . Hubs front and rear have just changed again 142 -now 148 , 100 x15 now 110x15 so if you get new hubs they wont go on your new frame . Sounds like you should just ride the wheels off the bike you have , upgrade parts when needed put cash away for the next ride . Sounds like the frame is second hand , you have to be realistic on frame life maybe 4 season = 2/3 years in Australian ridding terms . Anyway please don`t feel like im negative Im just giving you my opinion , I am old and spend way too much money on bikes .

specialized32

Likes Bikes
Yes I thought about the weight saving vs say sram roam 50 set of wheels (which you can get cheap now).The fork I want to replace as my old 34 has had better days

madstace

Likes Dirt

First, great choice. I've been running my SB66A for 3.5 years with no issues and haven't once found it limiting in my riding. I've test ridden a few 650b bikes now and still think its the best bike I've ridden, and have had other SB66 owners say the same thing, so ignore the LBSs that are just pushing you to buy another bike. There might be subtle benefits to the bigger wheelsizes, but its not the whole story on how a bike rides.

Second, I'm not sure what spec the bike has, but I can definitely recommend running a fork that can match the stiffness of the frame (have a 36 on mine). I'm also running a LB wheelset and even though I only got Novatec hubs, they were still an upgrade from the garbage SRAM hubs (or at least the rear) that were stock. They've been going for 18 months with no issues and were a huge improvement to the handling and speed of the bike.

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide how much you want to spend on the bike, but don't let it not having the latest "standards" or any worries about longevity limit you making it ride the way you want.

specialized32

Likes Bikes
Thanks it's great to hear from 66 riders. I wasn't happy with the havens but I bought it with them, so I was going to go wider into 33mm LB AM setup up. The fork I got a real good deal on a new 36. I think these two additions will just add another level to its all round capabilities