Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So dudes, time for an update.

Spent the last month or so on the Spectral. Riding experience has been awesome. Just back from Derby where it's was an absolute pleasure to ride..... well until it died a miserable and sorry death.

Bottom pivot bolt decided to divide and multiply.... becoming 2 pieces.

On top of this, the obligatory "Reverb Shits Itself" situation has arisen, 20mm drop when weighted and can't do up the seat post collar more than 1.5Nm or the post binds.

This is where Canyon customer service will be tested. I've already contacted them, and they've indicated that they have a pivot bolt.

They've also indicated that the Reverb is a warranty issue.

Lucky for me, it was on the second last shuttle on the last day...so I got an early shower and packed up early.

Bad news is, it looks like the frame, front and rear has been buggered either causing the bolt failure or because of the failure.

Still waiting on Canyons reply.... but it's gone very quiet since Tuesday.

Pics attached for you amusement.

Pivot Bolt

Damaged insert face - rear triangle

Farked main triangle bearing insert

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ah crap, JT. Let's hope it's all excellent customer service from here.

But...will the replacement bolt break too? Known issue?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Ah crap, JT. Let's hope it's all excellent customer service from here.

But...will the replacement bolt break too? Known issue?
Just trying to suss that one out now.
Hard to know whether the broken bolt caused the bearing cup Crack or the Crack led to extra stresses on the bolt.

Either way..... it's fooked. I'll be pushing for a new frame unfortunately.

golden path

Banned
That's a bugger, hopefully you are looked after.

I really like the looks of these bikes, and the value for money is certainly up there too.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So dudes, time for an update.

Spent the last month or so on the Spectral. Riding experience has been awesome. Just back from Derby where it's was an absolute pleasure to ride..... well until it died a miserable and sorry death.

Bottom pivot bolt decided to divide and multiply.... becoming 2 pieces.

On top of this, the obligatory "Reverb Shits Itself" situation has arisen, 20mm drop when weighted and can't do up the seat post collar more than 1.5Nm or the post binds.

This is where Canyon customer service will be tested. I've already contacted them, and they've indicated that they have a pivot bolt.

They've also indicated that the Reverb is a warranty issue.

Lucky for me, it was on the second last shuttle on the last day...so I got an early shower and packed up early.

Bad news is, it looks like the frame, front and rear has been buggered either causing the bolt failure or because of the failure.

Still waiting on Canyons reply.... but it's gone very quiet since Tuesday.

Pics attached for you amusement.
Is that a helicoil where it's sheared the bolt at the thread ?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Heard back from them today, JT?
Made a phone call this morning.... tech service were to call back to discuss getting it inspected locally.....
Still waiting for a call.....

I understand that shit happens and things break and I'm pretty reasonable with stuff like this... just call me back when you say you will and stay in communication and updated.

Bug bear of mine.....

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Made a phone call this morning.... tech service were to call back to discuss getting it inspected locally.....
Still waiting for a call.....

I understand that shit happens and things break and I'm pretty reasonable with stuff like this... just call me back when you say you will and stay in communication and updated.

Bug bear of mine.....
Mine too. How simple is it to do what you say you will?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah pretty much looks like it. Looks like an alloy receiver bonded into the carbon chainstay, with a helicoil thread.
Eeeek! I hope it isn't reoccurring, I wonder if it cut into the bolt from being loaded at the thread. Might be worth running a tension wrench over all the bolts when you get a new frame.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Eeeek! I hope it isn't reoccurring, I wonder if it cut into the bolt from being loaded at the thread. Might be worth running a tension wrench over all the bolts when you get a new frame.
Yeah could well be the case. Not sure of the usual set up and if this is common practice by Canyon.

Be great if someone else with a Canyon could check whether a helicoil was used in the same spot or whether it's a standard threaded insert bonded into the chain stay?

doihoi

Likes Dirt
JTmofo,

In re to the broken parts, I'm curious, how does it all happen? Poor build or you giving it hell down those trails? Just amazes me!

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
JTmofo,

In re to the broken parts, I'm curious, how does it all happen? Poor build or you giving it hell down those trails? Just amazes me!
This is what I'm trying to work out.
I wasn't riding huge hucks or anything.... but for reference (and for those who know the place), it happened after a spirited run (around the top 20% or so recorded on Strava) on Black Stump/Shearpin/23 Stitches in Derby, Tassie. There's nothing huge there that you would expect to break a 140mm travel AM bike.

My biggest concern is the damage to the bearing cup in the front triangle, it looks cracked. Is it a manufacturing defect or a result of the pivot bolt breaking?

I'm sure I'll have a chance to find out if Canyon call me back !

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
This is what I'm trying to work out.
I wasn't riding huge hucks or anything.... but for reference (and for those who know the place), it happened after a spirited run (around the top 20% or so recorded on Strava) on Black Stump/Shearpin/23 Stitches in Derby, Tassie. There's nothing huge there that you would expect to break a 140mm travel AM bike.

My biggest concern is the damage to the bearing cup in the front triangle, it looks cracked. Is it a manufacturing defect or a result of the pivot bolt breaking?

I'm sure I'll have a chance to find out if Canyon call me back !
That trail has a bit going on but should bust your bike unless you massively cased a jump or something. My Sight handles it just nicely. Interested to see how you go, a mate of mine has just got a Spectral.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
That trail has a bit going on but should bust your bike unless you massively cased a jump or something. My Sight handles it just nicely. Interested to see how you go, a mate of mine has just got a Spectral.
Yeah had a couple of mates on the same run, one on a Norco Sight, the other on a Trance. No issues as I would expect.
I'll keep the thread updated with progress or lack of.