AM Canyon Spectral 29 AL 5

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Sooo after some fuck loads of deliberation, I finally have my new tyres!

Front Tyre: Schwalbe Magic Mary 29 x 2.4 Super Trail Soft
Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29 x 2.35 Super Gravity Soft
Valves: e*Thirteen Plasma valves
Grips: (not shown) Ergon GA2 Fat

Schwalbe tyres 2024.JPG

Schwalbe Magic Mary 2024.JPG

Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2024.JPG

Jabubu

Still a great looking bike!
What colour are the new Grips?
Thank you! I can't wait to go a little harder on the descents knowing I have a gravity tyre on the back. I weighed them both and they come out to approx 1,200g (f) and 1,300g (r)..

Black! Sadly Ergon saw fit to keep the GA2 Fat's colours to strong red, blue or black only and none of the standard GA2's interesting ones like yellow or purple :(. I would definitely have gone for purple.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Thank you! I can't wait to go a little harder on the descents knowing I have a gravity tyre on the back. I weighed them both and they come out to approx 1,200g (f) and 1,300g (r)..
Looks good ! Were you tearing sidewalls in the past ?

Get out and ride ;)

ozzybmx

Thanks! Mainly burps, I once lost all the air out of a rear tyre descending a rocky downhill section.
The reason I ask is it's taken me 15yrs to go enduro/DH casing on tyres, eeb as it doesn't matter and Deviate as it's mainly shuttle and play bike.

I've tried MaxxGrip and other soft compounds before but it's like riding through custard then the weight of heavy casings.

If you are climbing and riding flow, soft compounds and thick casing can really knock the speed off and feel draggy, making the bike feel heavy and lifeless.

The weight weenie in me has always had me on tyres run at their limit, if I can get away with a lighter, faster tyre, I'll use it. Burps are easy fixed with more pressure, snakebites and casing holes are different but for that 1 janky section, you could slow down rather than run 1300g tyres over 950g ones.

Get a couple of rides on them and see how you go :cool:

Jabubu

The reason I ask is it's taken me 15yrs to go enduro/DH casing on tyres, eeb as it doesn't matter and Deviate as it's mainly shuttle and play bike.

I've tried MaxxGrip and other soft compounds before but it's like riding through custard then the weight of heavy casings.

If you are climbing and riding flow, soft compounds and thick casing can really knock the speed off and feel draggy, making the bike feel heavy and lifeless.

The weight weenie in me has always had me on tyres run at their limit, if I can get away with a lighter, faster tyre, I'll use it. Burps are easy fixed with more pressure, snakebites and casing holes are different but for that 1 janky section, you could slow down rather than run 1300g tyres over 950g ones.

Get a couple of rides on them and see how you go :cool:
I've been down the lighter casing tyre route and that's when I lost most of the air from the rear tyre (Bontrager XR4). I have been riding the Fast Trak on the back but I've been very selective with the trails I ride and how fast I go. It was fun but I want to go back to how it was with the WTBs.

At the end of the day, I'm 100kg+ and I'd prefer to get stronger than worry about my tyres. Also I liked the Vigilante Light/High Grip and Trail Boss Tough/Fast Rolling, they too were a similar weight with the Vigilante being less tough than the MM.

Jabubu

I got the tyres on with a cool little tool called Tyre Glider. The front Super Trail casing went on smoothly, the Super Gravity required a tyre lever for the last 10cm of bead but snapped on no issues, the Tyre Glider held the bead in place while I levered the remaining on.

But the tyres weren't yet seated around the edge of the rim. Well that didn't seem to be an issue at all and I think it's because of the extra airflow provided by the e*thirteen valves. With my knackered old Joe Blow (somewhere around 12 years old now!), both tyres inflated first time with the satisfying pings that let you know the beads were seating correctly.

Adding sealant isn't as easy because the Stans injector has nothing to screw into now so I had to drip sealant into the valves. I'll need to find a thin tube that can go all the way in or an empty mini sealant bottle with a nozzle. After a few air leak issues, the rear tyre is now holding steady and ready for a ride!

ozzybmx

Being 100kg is also rolling resistance!
Not really a rolling resistance. On the flat when up to speed and going down, 100kg is your friend. Point it up and the 100kg fights gravity.

After my Xmas binge on various fattening solids and liquids, I'm currently 91kg so only a few short of you.

Jabubu

Not really a rolling resistance. On the flat when up to speed and going down, 100kg is your friend. Point it up and the 100kg fights gravity.

After my Xmas binge on various fattening solids and liquids, I'm currently 91kg so only a few short of you.
I can't be bothered with going lighter, I'm aiming to have fewer issues with sturdier tyres apart from working a bit harder. But as I don't do 5 hour rides then it's worth the trade off.

ozzybmx

I can't be bothered with going lighter, I'm aiming to have fewer issues with sturdier tyres apart from working a bit harder. But as I don't do 5 hour rides then it's worth the trade off.
Wait till you have tried the big boys before you go all in.
I have ridden everywhere, including 5 Tassie trips on normal casing tyres like Maxxterra EXO, Michelin Enduro, regular Vittoria Mazzas. My venture in to enduro/DH is only about a year ago.

Jabubu

Wait till you have tried the big boys before you go all in.
I have ridden everywhere, including 5 Tassie trips on normal casing tyres like Maxxterra EXO, Michelin Enduro, regular Vittoria Mazzas. My venture in to enduro/DH is only about a year ago.
It's all good, I liked my WTB tyres and these are the closest equivalent in terms of casing and tread type. Wasn't it you that suggested sturdier casings in the first place?

ozzybmx

It's all good, I liked my WTB tyres and these are the closest equivalent in terms of casing and tread type. Wasn't it you that suggested sturdier casings in the first place?
Don't know if I specifically recommended them for you but for a play bike or eeb, they are a no brainer especially on the rear.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know how relevant given I'm quiet a bit lighter, but I have Identical Maxxis DHF in exo Max Terra and DH Max grip. To be honest I didn't notice much difference in rolling. The main reason I prefer the exo Terra is to shed weight off the bike and I was ripping the soft compound Max grip to bits.