Canyon Spectral AL 7 EX thoughts and suggestions

Hey all, wanting your collective opinion.

Been kicking around the idea of getting another/replacement bike for a while now. I recently had a go at the SEQLD Enduro series in Toowoomba (Jubilee Park) and had a good time, but was not really loving life on the black tracks (top of Frenzy, or the rocks on Ida/Reaper). This may have been because I was riding my 2011 Trek Fuel EX9, which is fine for where I normally ride, but undergunned for the more gnarly terrain I encountered. It was doable, but not pleasant, and getting to the bottom unscathed (sort of) was more luck than skill.

I'm Brisbane-based and very close to Gap Creek which is where I normally ride, along with the normal selection of Bunya, Daisy etc. For those who don't know the area, this is very tame singletrack and is really a perfect level for the Fuel.

New Bike
So I've been beginning to seriously look at the Canyon Spectral, the 140mm trail bike. I thought that it should be fine for the XC/trail use I normally ride (90%) but better for more gnarly terrain I ride every now and then (Mt Joyce, Jubilee Park etc). Specifically I was looking at the Spectral AL 7.0 EX (link here), which comes with a 150mm Pike at the front. Seems like a bargain for $4k...?

However it's been difficult to find many reviews of the updated 2016 version? Anyone riding one or seen one?
Do you think the AL 7 EX is the pick? Or would the cheaper options be better value? Should I spring for the carbon version instead etc?
Would the AM style Spectral be a waste for the majority of my riding? Should I just suck it up and get better technical skills so I can ride the Fuel down gnarly shit?

Cheers

WarehouseNo27

Likes Bikes
Captain,

I was looking at the Spectral AL 7, great looking bike with the level of specs I wanted at the right price. Similar situation to you, had a Cannondale Scalpel but wanted a more trail/all mountain type bike than a XC bike. Things I didn't like - wait times/expected delivery dates kept moving and not being able to see/ride one in the flesh.

Ended up buying a Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 1. Same components (compared to 7, not 7 EX), except factory level Fox fork and shock, Carbon frame (front triangle) and rims. Paid the same price (on sale at the moment), could test ride it, and had it straight away.

Weigh up your needs vs wants. I haven't ridden the Trance yet, so can't comment on the difference or suitability. My purchase had more to do with want than need. :happy:

Captain,

I was looking at the Spectral AL 7, great looking bike with the level of specs I wanted at the right price. Similar situation to you, had a Cannondale Scalpel but wanted a more trail/all mountain type bike than a XC bike. Things I didn't like - wait times/expected delivery dates kept moving and not being able to see/ride one in the flesh.

Ended up buying a Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 1. Same components (compared to 7, not 7 EX), except factory level Fox fork and shock, Carbon frame (front triangle) and rims. Paid the same price (on sale at the moment), could test ride it, and had it straight away.

Weigh up your needs vs wants. I haven't ridden the Trance yet, so can't comment on the difference or suitability. My purchase had more to do with want than need. :happy:
Hey thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I agree about the delivery times, currently sitting around May, and I'm pretty sure the 2017 models will be coming out in midyear?
The Trance Advanced looks like it has great spec but I've only found it at a much higher price than the ~$4k of the Canyon's I'm looking at. I'd say you got a fantastic deal on that! Benefit of local sales compared to direct from manufacturer I guess.

It looks as if the current availability of the red Spectral AL 7.0 EX is sitting around the late May (probably more likely mid June). If i was thinking of going the Canyon route should I just wait a bit and get the 2017 model?

Ideas, thoughts, input?

Cheers

mrjubei

Squid
I recently received my Spectral CF 9.0 EX 2016 model. I love it... ticks all the boxes for me. I think one of the main changes in the 2016 models is about sizing.. early models seem a bit undersized but are much better now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mrjubei

Squid
I love their bikes... the wait can be pretty hit or miss though.
If you're prepared to wait you will get something really well specced.. great value for money and something a little unique..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bought a bike...

Thanks for all the responses everyone. A quick updateL

I had decided to go ahead and get the Canyon AL 7.0EX for $4.2 delivered. Right when I was about to click buy (and wait till June), I saw that Giant was discounting the 2016 range in order to clear it out for the 2017 models.

Found a Giant Trance 1 (alloy) for $3.8, which has arguably better spec than the Canyon, at least in the same price range. Sure I would've preferred the Canyon frame, it would certainly be more unique, but having the bike straight away and not waiting months was too tempting. Components seemed a step above that on the Canyony 7.0EX too: X1 drivetrain, factory FOX FIT4 & EVOL suspension, Guide RS brakes, carbon wheels. Seems a bit lighter too.

In saying that, the red Canyon frame looks amazing, whereas I'm not sold on the blue-green of the Giant.

Cheers

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The colour is less of a thing when you're focusing on the quickly moving scenery ;)

finksta

Likes Dirt
I've ordered my spectral, the wait will suck but it won't kill me. Will let you know how it rides when it gets here.

Received my Spectral at long last (14 weeks)

Hi everyone

I ordered my Spectral AL7.0 EX in mid Feb and finally received it in the first week of June (which is what they promised originally).

Coming from a 2011 Trance X2 (size S), and moving to a size M Spectral, I guess I am just blown away.

I was hesitant about going to size M, as I am 172cm and technically borderline between small and medium on both the Giant and Canyon size charts.

But because the Canyon stem is 50mm compared to my old Trance at 90mm, I don't really feel that the bike is oversized.

I've never been able to charge down descents with the same speed and stability, compared to my old Trance.
In the past I would get bounced off line and sideways a lot.

Because the spectral is longer, slacker and has a stiffer Pike, it is really stable, and holds the line really really well.
I rode it straight down a rutted descent and it felt so stable. Also down roots, etc. and it never gets thrown off line.

The SRAM GX drivetrain is flawless for the price.

I only have a few negative observations:
- both wheels were slightly out-of-true out of the box, but Canyon in Australia said they would rectify it. (Wonder if it's the tires instead of wheels?)
- front brake rubbing against rotor, couldn't adjust no matter how I tried. Noticed that the rotor is a little warped. Canyon said they would rectify it.
I have yet to bring it to their Melbourne warehouse though.

- I wish they would provide some frame protection stickers, as the frame has a matte anodized finish, and already I have had some cable rub at the headset.
So I've just stuck some stickers on myself for the time being.

jonathan_k

Likes Bikes
The SRAM GX drivetrain is flawless for the price.
How many k's have you put on the GX drivetrain?

I'm thinking of replacing my X1 rear mech with a GX once my brothers are done trashing it (one ride each and the thing looks like it's been through a grinder).

My bike came spec'ed with GX shifters, GX cassette and an X1 rear mech, which I was planning to upgrade. Running it for a few months and the shifting has been perfect with normal maintenance.

With the quality of the other GX bits and the spec of the rear mech's looking so similar it seems like a safe bet to save the $100 and try out the GX rear mech.

I'm thinking of replacing my X1 rear mech with a GX once my brothers are done trashing it (one ride each and the thing looks like it's been through a grinder).

My bike came spec'ed with GX shifters, GX cassette and an X1 rear mech, which I was planning to upgrade. Running it for a few months and the shifting has been perfect with normal maintenance.

With the quality of the other GX bits and the spec of the rear mech's looking so similar it seems like a safe bet to save the $100 and try out the GX rear mech.

It's almost brand new, not even a hundred k yet

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference in feel between an X1 and GX1 rear mech. If I want better feel, I upgrade the shifter.

jonathan_k

Likes Bikes
GX next stop then... downgrading components, awesome!

Longevity is a consideration too, though I can't remembering wearing out a rear derailleur before it was trashed.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
- both wheels were slightly out-of-true out of the box, but Canyon in Australia said they would rectify it. (Wonder if it's the tires instead of wheels?)
- front brake rubbing against rotor, couldn't adjust no matter how I tried. Noticed that the rotor is a little warped. Canyon said they would rectify it.
I have yet to bring it to their Melbourne warehouse though.
Thinking of dropping my tax return on one of these. Canyon have said the long wait issues are over and back to normal delivery times. Just skeptical about the Roam 30 wheels though. Seem very narrow (21mm internal width), and you seem to have had issues (but might be unlucky in transit). But I guess at the price can only ride them until they break right?

Cheers!

(first post, so Hi as well!)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think I tried to post here before, but anyway....

How are you guys finding the Roam 30 wheels? The internal width seems pretty narrow to me. Otherwise, great spec for the price!

I think I tried to post here before, but anyway....

How are you guys finding the Roam 30 wheels? The internal width seems pretty narrow to me. Otherwise, great spec for the price!
My initial opinion is that it's value for money, I can't vouch for the strength as I haven't ridden the Spectral hard enough yet.
I will say that it is really light, even for a lower-range wheelset.

However, true to the review on enduro mtb, I find the rear Minion SS just too "semi-slick" as the name suggests.

It is easy to lose traction on the rear if you push it harder.

But I will say that I've already beaten my previous PR on some of my local trails at Lysterfield.
The Spectral just handles so well, and I think I've got the Pike RC setup to just where I like it (20% sag with one bottomless token).

Thinking of dropping my tax return on one of these. Canyon have said the long wait issues are over and back to normal delivery times. Just skeptical about the Roam 30 wheels though. Seem very narrow (21mm internal width), and you seem to have had issues (but might be unlucky in transit). But I guess at the price can only ride them until they break right?

Cheers!

(first post, so Hi as well!)
Hey Droenn,

I ride on Sunday mornings around 7:30am at Lysterfield, so if you're around, I'm happy for you to check out the Spectral before you drop your hard-earned tax return on one.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
In Canberra mate, but thanks for the offer!

TBH, haven't heard too many bad things at all, seems like a bike you can be confident in purchasing without sitting on first. Which is weird to say.